Author Topic: Fowler Component Set  (Read 8588 times)

Offline gumboman

• Gumbocooking
Fowler Component Set
« on: October 01, 2014, 03:46:58 PM »
Like many gun makers, I am thinking about my next gun build project. I think it will be a fowler. My goal would be to have it complete by March so likely will go with pre-carve stock.

Have looked at several suppliers, Dunlap, Chambers, MBS, and TOW. Can anyone make other recommendations on suppliers of quality fowler component sets?

Want 10 or 12 gauge.

Does anyone have experience with the Dunlap English Fowler component set? I am leaning in that direction.

Can anyone make recommendation on who can do a jug choke?

Thanks
gumboman

jamesthomas

Re: Fowler Component Set
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 04:46:30 PM »
 If your a right handed guy Fowler Kits are all over the place and I would probably go to Jim Chambers and get their Penn. Fowler, next would be Dunlap woods. I'm a lefty and the only one I can find is MBS lefty Flintlock fowler and (I just hope that stock has some cast off) since I'm using my own barrel and a L-H Queen Ann lock.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 04:49:45 PM by james e »

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 05:07:01 PM »
I have a fowler built from a Chambers New England fowler kit in 12 ga. I like it a lot. Rod Gates, Cross Timbers Mo jug choked it for me shoots about a modified pattern which is what I was after. I think Chambers also offers it in 10 guage. You may want to look at it. Tim

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 05:12:56 PM »
I've built 3 of Chambers NE fowlers, unfortunately for others, and they are great Turkey guns. Long barreled beauties.
If I was building a wing shooter, I think I'd go with Dunlaps kit though. Shorter, half stock, nice handling.

IMHO
In His grip,

Dane

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 05:40:10 PM »
I have built two of Chamber's New England fowling guns.  One is owned by my friend, and I kept one myself. 
It is a 10 bore and it is the gun that I use the most.  Turkeys, geese, ducks, deer, and bears have all fallen to it.
I'm hoping to harvest a moose with it …perhaps next year.  It is simply a fantastic gun . 

Offline gumboman

• Gumbocooking
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 06:26:03 PM »
Thanks all for the replies. Looks like I will have some more fun researching and deciding which way to go.

I will primarily use it for turkey.

smallpatch and bob in the woods, are any of your fowlers choked? I really like the idea of a 10 bore and wonder if the wall thickness is sufficient to jug choke.

squrldog, can you provide contact information for Rod Gates.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 06:38:28 PM »
Mine is not choked.  I've thought about it, but loading it with up to 2 oz of shot, it seems to work just fine with out it.
I wouldn't want to lose the ability of shooting round balls , since they work so well in my gun. It looks as though there is enough wall thickness to jug choke if desired.

Offline tiswell

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2014, 06:47:55 PM »
gumboman,
     Danny Caywood offers a jug choking service. I don't have any firsthand experience with his work, but some google searches will give you an idea of the results that you might expect. Also, I don't know what you want to do with this gun but a Colerain 20 gage turkey choke barrel loaded with 2 ounces of shot and 100 grains of powder shoots as tight a pattern as I have seen from any shotgun. I agree totally with smallpatch regarding the shorter barrel length and running or flying game. I am a rookie with this gun and moving critters, but I wish I had my rabbit hunting experience caught on video, it would have bee hilarious to watch. Grinslade's Flintlock Fowler book is a great reference if you are interested in historic guns, or placing a design in a specific time period or location of origin.

Tiswell

d-a

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2014, 07:04:25 PM »
If your a right handed guy Fowler Kits are all over the place and I would probably go to Jim Chambers and get their Penn. Fowler, next would be Dunlap woods. I'm a lefty and the only one I can find is MBS lefty Flintlock fowler and (I just hope that stock has some cast off) since I'm using my own barrel and a L-H Queen Ann lock.

Chambers offers a left hand Penn Fowler.

d-a

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2014, 07:14:08 PM »
Bob, I jug choked two of my fowlers, a 16Ga., approx. full, and a 14Ga.approx. modified. I can only speak from personal experience but I can see no discernible difference in consistency of accuracy for patched round ball, and I think the 16 tightened up a bit. Shot groups definitely tightened up for both, with no holes in the patterns. I figured it was a $#@* shoot but decided that if it ruined my round ball accuracy, I would just have to make another one, a win win! ;D
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2014, 01:19:02 AM »
Gumbo.
Yes, I had them jug choked full. At 50 yards it put 19 pellets in the kill zone of a turkey head target. I built ine for a gentleman in PA, got two turkeys the first day of the season.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2014, 01:53:06 AM »
The Dunlap half stock fowler is an excellent choice, in my opinion.  I've built two of them, nice and light, handle very well...

Ed
Ed Wenger

jamesthomas

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2014, 01:56:48 AM »

Chambers offers a left hand Penn Fowler.

d-a

Yes he does  >:(. Check your in box.

Offline gumboman

• Gumbocooking
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2014, 02:24:19 AM »
Thanks to all for the great feedback. This information is very helpful.

It looks like it might be my good fortune to possibly handle the Chambers New England Fowler in the near future. This can help me decide which gun is best for my interests. I am sure either one would fulfill my desires nicely.

Today I am leaning more towards the Dunlap English Fowler but don't yet know how the NE Fowler will influence my current view.

Sqrldog, thanks for the lead on Rod Gates. I talked to him. He is a hoot. An encyclopedia on ML shotguns.

Tiswell thanks for the Caywood tip for jug choke services. I knew he does jug chokes just have not heard from anyone who has used him and what results they realized.

gumboman

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2014, 04:46:59 PM »
I have a Caywood choked fowler. It does exceptionally well with shot for turkeys but will not shoot a round ball in the same place twice unless you call the same place twice an 15"X15" square piece of paper at 25yds, lots of testing, same results.

Offline frogwalking

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2014, 06:03:11 PM »
It would be nice if someone would post photos of a Dunlap fowler.  What does the completed gun weigh.  In which gauge?  How did you install the under rib?  Thanks.
Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2014, 07:57:45 PM »
Here's a link to the Dunlap fowler I posted back in July...http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=31676.0

There's some other photos of a brass mounted one I did on my web site as well.

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline gumboman

• Gumbocooking
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2014, 12:51:05 AM »
Ed,
Thanks for the link to your earlier thread. Boy that is a beautiful fowler and what I was hoping to see. This will help me make a decision.

How does the 10 bore shoot? I mean what kind of pattern does it throw say at 30 yards? Is it jug choked?
Is the barrel by Rice?

Love the carving and engraving to.

Gumboman

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2014, 01:31:34 AM »
You're welcome, and thanks!  It's not jug choked, the barrel is from Rice, and I have no idea how it patterns since I haven't shot it, lol...

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline gumboman

• Gumbocooking
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2014, 05:13:00 AM »
Thank you.

Offline frogwalking

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2014, 05:31:45 AM »
Thanks ed.  Beautiful gun.
Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.