Author Topic: Another Fowler  (Read 2582 times)

Offline Steve Collward

Another Fowler
« on: December 13, 2017, 09:41:36 PM »
With the recent posts of fowlers, attached are some photos and description of another one.
The octagon to round barrel is 49 5/8" in length, with hooked breech and secured with 4 wedges. There are no proof marks or any other marks on the barrel. There is an entry pipe and 3 ramrod thimbles. Overall length is 64 3/4". Caliber is approximately .62. The lock plate is marked "R S Clark/Warranted".  As with the recent fowler post, the stock appears to be maple and the hardware is of the British style.
   At some point, this was badly broken through the wrist as as can be seen was repaired. The repair plate is marked "PHINEAS RUMSEY Sr./1810.
   Phineas Rumsey was born on Nov. 14, 1769 and died June 22, 1816 and resided in Goshen, Orange County, N.Y.  He had 7 children with his third child being named Phineas. 
   His father, also named Phineas was born about 1733 and died in May 1795, Goshen, Orange County. In 1775, he served as a Captain in the 7th Co. (Goshen) Orange Co. Militia, however, for how long I am not certain as I have more research to do on this family.
    Wanted to share this with the list and any thoughts on this fowler are appreciated.

upload photo to web

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Another Fowler
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 04:43:37 PM »
Ok, I'll bite. This one looks 'merican. Mainly because of the amount of drop and the "non English" buttplate. I'd say it's New England somewhere if I had to say.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

n stephenson

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 05:41:44 PM »
Steve, Do you think it was ever flint?  I couldn't really see any filled holes . I really like that barrel !!  A very cool piece !  Thanks for showing it. Nate

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2017, 05:58:35 PM »
For sure originally flint. Great old fowler. By the sideplate(s) seems post-Revolutionary War and New England, but close to NY. Just guessing.
Andover, Vermont

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 06:03:33 PM »
Hi,
Yes that gun was almost certainly flint originally.  I suspect the gun is from New England.  The maple stock architecture looks similar to guns made around Goshen, CT, which is located in western CT not far from the border with NY.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Steve Collward

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2017, 02:13:03 AM »
   Thanks for the thoughts on this piece. I also believe it was post Rev. War, perhaps 1790-early 1800's, and was originally flint.
One thing that I've been curious about is the lock. I've wondered if the lock itself was replaced at the time of the conversion to percussion? Although it fits well, and the lock bolts line up properly, there are some gaps you can see in the photo; unless this was caused by the the expansion of the wood when the wrist broke and then repaired. 
   Whoever did the repair to the wrist did an excellent job. Not only was the plate nailed and screwed, it was also pinned on each side of the trigger guard which really secured the break.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 02:13:38 AM by Steve Collward »

n stephenson

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2017, 02:48:24 AM »
Steve, I see what you mean with the little gap at the tail of the lock plate, as well as a less than perfect fit elsewhere in the lock inlet. Not meant as criticism more observation. I love looking at old guns and trying to decipher the story they have to tell !! Thanks Nate

Offline Steve Collward

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2017, 04:23:48 PM »
Nate- Thanks for the feedback and thoughts from you and the others regarding this fowler. Very much appreciated.
It has certainly seen some use over the years, but thankfully the barrel and stock have not been cut down and overall, remains in good condition.