Author Topic: ALR Museum now features the work of Abraham Schweitzer Lancaster, PA  (Read 5356 times)

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
Here is the first of two Schweitzer guns to come to the Museum. This gun is the typical quality gun dubbed by Kindig as "Golden Age" and representative of the most skilled amongst the gunmakers of that era. He worked early is his carrier in Lancaster and later in Chambersburg, PA. See Kindig's book
"Thoughts on the  Kentucky Rifle in its Golden Ages" for a complete discussion of Schweitzer.
This gun is presented in the Pennsylvania Traditional Section of the Museum.
Hurricane
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 06:40:56 PM by hurricane »

Arnie Dowd

Re: ALR Museum now features the work of Abraham Schweitzer Lancaster, PA
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 07:15:41 PM »
If possible  -  can you please post photos,  Thank You

Offline JTR

• member 2
John Robbins

• Library_mod
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 04:15:30 AM »
Our host, ALR,  for software and  technical reasons has requested that we not risk software conflict issues and keep pictures confined to the Museum/Library section.
Thanks for understanding
Hurricane

Arnie Dowd

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 04:58:23 AM »
No problem - certainely understand.  There is a virtually identical rifle here in Denver and it too is completely untouched, original flint and in incredible condition.  It is an original "smooth" rifle of .45 cqliber. How does that compare to this fine rifle ? As one reply stated - this rifle has wonderful architectur.  I have always felt also that the local rifle and now this one date from his Lancaster period.

• Library_mod
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 05:53:01 AM »
Happy to correspond off line. fgarner@verizon.net

Tony Clark

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 06:35:40 PM »
  There is a virtually identical rifle here in Denver and it too is completely untouched, original flint and in incredible condition. 

I have numerous photos of that virtually identical rifle prominently hanging over my workbench. What a great gun! Previous owner was kind enough to let me examine it  ;), I wanted to take it home with me though! Haven't had time to build one like it, but surely will at some point. Regards, TC

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 05:40:54 AM »
Gorgeous example of a fabulous rifle sans patchbox.  Architecture and simple, BUT GOOD, carving carry it off.

I love it!
Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 08:09:42 AM »
Schweitzer in his earlier days built grand rifles. His work went down some as he went West, but any piece by him is worth having. This gun is very much like another one that has previously been mentioned as being in Denver. That gun is in a close to new condition and is very crisp and original. It would be nice to compare the two. I'll ask the owner of the Denver gun if he would be willing to allow it to be shown in the Library.
Apprarently Schweitzer made a fair number of smooth rifles as they seem to turn up with more regularity than such guns by other makers. Although he didn't put a box into these creations, he carved them wonderful well, and he made some later ones which featured incised carving rather than relief.
Dick

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009, 06:24:52 PM »
That would be nice to have the two to compare.  I hope the owner agrees.

Thanks!  to all the owners of these guns for allowing the rest of us to view them.

What a great resource that makes,

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell