Author Topic: Corroded sheet brass  (Read 5291 times)

DFHicks

Corroded sheet brass
« on: October 09, 2014, 03:44:45 AM »
A friend of mine recently gave me an old (certainly pre-WWII) brass garden sprayer.  The sheet brass is too thin (.028") for gun building but should be fine for engraving practice.
As you can imagine it is cankered up very badly.  It will come off with a wire brush but is a slow process.  So here is a lazy man's question _ is there something that will remove or at least loosen the corrosion?  Maybe the equivalent to naval jelly and rust?
Thanks,
DF

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
Re: Corroded sheet brass
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 06:37:30 PM »
Soak it in vinegar over night and the verdigris will come off much more easily. 

However, if you are going to practice engraving, I wouldn't waste my time with salvaging a little bit of corroded brass.  Get some new brass or copper sheet, or better yet, some mild steel sheet.  The question for me would be, "Do I want to learn how to engrave, or do I want to spend all my time learning how to remove corrosion from old scrap metal?"
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 07:04:02 PM »
Soak it in vinegar over night and the verdigris will come off much more easily. 

However, if you are going to practice engraving, I wouldn't waste my time with salvaging a little bit of corroded brass.  Get some new brass or copper sheet, or better yet, some mild steel sheet.  The question for me would be, "Do I want to learn how to engrave, or do I want to spend all my time learning how to remove corrosion from old scrap metal?"

Thank you Davec2.

For DF
It possible to order ground finish normalized mild steel (1018) flats in any width and any thickness  and usually in 18" to 12 ft lengths from suppliers like MSC and others. This can then be cut to what every length and practice can start. This stuff cuts very nice and since its uniform in hardness it takes away one more PITA from the inexperienced engraver. When one side is covered turn it over and cut that side. This way a 24" flat gives 4 feet of engraving surface. One can cut a lot of lines in this, or borders or scrolls.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

DFHicks

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 07:32:21 PM »
As usual some great advice from members.  I tend to be penny wise and pound foolish way too often.  You all are right; I'm attempting to learn engraving not scrap metal recycling.
Regards,
DF

Offline Jesse168

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 04:03:59 PM »
  Go to local machine shop or sheetmetal shop to get what you want a lot easier and cheeper.
Tennessee Hunter Safety Instructor since 1973
Desoto Lodge # 299 F&AM PM

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 06:36:43 PM »
Use the new brass for practice, then save the good side to make inlays. Double duty. No one will ever see the practice side. You would have bought the brass for inlays and parts anyway.

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 09:14:56 PM »
A brass kick plate for a door (solid, not plated) will give you all the brass you will need for a long time.

SuperCracker

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 10:11:51 PM »
I use metal electrical outlet covers for practice plates.  They're soft steel, readily available for about .75 from Lowes.  Hot glue to a block of scrap 1x2 to clamp in the vise, a few swipes with some emery to remove the galvanization and you've got cheap practice plates.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2014, 10:50:13 PM »
Lamp washers and fender washers also work.  You can often find a stack of lamp washers inside old discarded lamps.  Also, old brackets and such from junk cars work too.  Having odd shaped pieces of metal will also teach you how to develop a pattern to fit inside the part because most gun parts are irregularly shaped.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 11:20:34 PM »
Depending what you are making, 0.028" brass is not too thin for gun work.  This is in line with what many golden age guns have for parts such as boxes etc.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2014, 11:49:27 PM »
 Don't forget the solid brass thresholds used on may old industrial, and commercial doors. Its thick enough for butt plates, and side plates.

Hungry Horse

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2014, 12:33:08 AM »
Sometimes brass that has been exposed to the elements over a long period of time loses all its ability to bend and form. It becomes brittle and cracks easily. Do a test before you invest too much time in old material.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

DFHicks

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2014, 07:30:03 PM »
Thanks again for all the good information.  As pointed out old brass can be brittle.  After a closer look most of this sprayer was like that _ it just crumbled.  Not sure why but I had never thought of practicing engraving on one side and use the other side showing for inlays.  Maybe blind linear thinking?
DF

Offline J Henry

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2014, 07:42:22 PM »
  When did Brass start to corrode????? 23 years in the Navy and I never see it happen!!!!!!always nice and shiney...!!!???!!
  Save your time chuck the old stuff and go new, davec2,,knows from where he speaks
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 07:43:05 PM by J Henry »