Author Topic: re: Grain Scale  (Read 5905 times)

Offline chrisdefrance

• Chris de France
re: Grain Scale
« on: September 26, 2014, 07:47:38 PM »
Can someone suggest a good grain scale for black powder, weighing balls and reloading ? I do not plan to go into reloading, but maybe...please give me some tips or suggestions. Should the scale be a manual or digital scale ?

Thanks -  Chris
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 12:34:22 AM by chrisdefrance »
"These are the times that try men's souls: The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of his country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman."

JB2

Re: re:Grain Scale
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 08:33:30 PM »
I only have experience with the small balance beam, manual type that Lee( or Lyman?) makes.  It's great for smaller modern powder charges, but doesn't go over 110 or 120 grains.  It's also so small and delicate that my increasingly unsteady hands and worsening eyes have a hard time navigating it these days.

Hopefully someone with more 'digital' experience can add info about those, since I'm looking to upgrade too ;)

Offline Gemmer

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 10:17:42 PM »

Offline FDR

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 11:05:13 PM »
X2 on the digital scale. There are several to choose from in that price range. I have 2 in my shop and they can easily go with you to the range.  Unaffected by wind/breeze.

Fred

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
Re: re: Grain Scale
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2014, 01:25:46 AM »
I have one small digital scale that cost $16 a couple years ago.  Can't remember where I ordered it from, though.  I also have two fine balance beam scales that I've used for modern reloading for around 45 years.  But for muzzleloading I always use that little digital scale.  The one posted by Gemmer looks to be even better and I'll probably be adding it to my other tools.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline chrisdefrance

• Chris de France
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2014, 09:13:28 PM »
Thanks guys.

I have ordered a Frankford Arsenal DS-750 Electronic Powder Scale 750 Grain CapacityScale and I do appreciate the response. After looking into first the difference between manual and digital, second was what functions are available on the digital scales.

The overall response was very good from the seller MidwayUSA and were positive. The fact that the scale will count grains was some thing I want to try, and after I get it in and use it I will post more.
"These are the times that try men's souls: The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of his country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman."

Offline Mad Monk

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 05:36:05 AM »
When you get the digital scale you might want to make an open front box to house it.  Some of the electronic open pan digital scales have problems with any drafts where you might be working.  I put about 32 years into lab work with various types of scales.  The electronic scales where you weight something on a pan tend to "float" around when drafts hit them.  Even drafts that you can feel with your skin.  Depends on how accurate you want to be with one.

Mad Monk

Offline chrisdefrance

• Chris de France
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2014, 10:44:59 PM »
Guys -

I want to thank each of you for the suggestions. They have helped. In a search for input on electronic scales, the The DS-750 from Frankford Arsenal is the perfect scale for budget, as you suggested, $20-$30 range. There are several scales but this seems to have the most for less.

As an electronic scale goes it has good reviews and is loaded with functions, auto calibration, tare function, counting function, automatic shutoff after 60 seconds, overload protection. First and foremost was that it weighs in grains, also in grams, carats and ounces.

The TARE function incorporates the weight of the powder pan, so you do not have to subtract the powder pan weight from the overall weight. It also counts grains, we will have to see how well ?

Jim B, FDR, Gemmer and hanshi, again thanks for the advice, it’s well taken. Mad Monk was the last suggestion to watch the effect of draft on the scale. I will make a front open box for the scale. Thanks, guys. I will let you know how well this scale works out. It will be interesting to see how well it counts grains. With the scale I ordered a " Trickler ". I'll let you know about that as well.

Best,

Chris

dagner

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2014, 11:44:42 AM »
I have used this digital scale from Midway. Works well.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/175512/frankford-arsenal-ds-750-electronic-powder-scale-750-grain-capacity?cm_vc=ProductFinding

USE THE FRANKFORT SCALE FOR ALL MY RELOADING . IT IS MORE ACCURATE THAN THE EXPENSIVE LYMAN AND DOES NOT DRIFT NEAR AS MUCH.BEEN USING THEM FOR 4 YEARS NOW

Offline Daryl

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2014, 08:15:14 PM »

@!*%- wish we could get those up here!
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline t.caster

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2014, 07:30:24 PM »
I got a CHEAP digital scale from....where else, Harbor Freight for less than $12 I think. All I use it for is weighing round balls. Kinda wish it would measure tenths of a grain, but it is close enough to check for balls with air pockets. I made up 130 .530s over the weekend and they ALL measured 226 grains! Now I have a flyer I will have to blame something else ::)
Tom C.

Steve-In

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2014, 04:50:48 PM »
A set of test weights is worth the cost.  More so when reloading modern stuff.

dagner

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2014, 09:34:42 AM »

@!*%- wish we could get those up here!

midway usa   .you can catch them on sale daryl every 4 months for about 20.00  comes with test calibration weight

dag
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 08:05:19 AM by dagner »