Author Topic: Hawken Triggerguard Quandry  (Read 12189 times)

Offline Luke MacGillie

Hawken Triggerguard Quandry
« on: October 12, 2014, 01:29:50 AM »
I picked this wonderful custom Hawken earlier this year.  Made in 1988 by someone named Wheeler. 

As you can see from the photo this has the appearance of a gun that was made in flint, but was converted to percussion.  But it has what Ive come to understand is a late style of Hawken triggerguard.  Am I out of my mind considering changing out the guard for the early style where the rear curl is more open and cylindrical in shape?

Offline volatpluvia

• Doing mission work in sunny south, Mexico
Re: Hawken Triggerguard Quandry
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2014, 05:29:09 AM »
Luke,
You can do what you want to.  But I like that style of trigger guard.  It's just the set triggers that I don't like, but that's just me.  Enjoy your new rifle.
volatpluvia
I believe, therefore I speak.  Apostle Paul.

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2014, 05:41:58 AM »
Gun looks too good the way it is, I sure wouldn't change it..........Don

galamb

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2014, 07:42:54 PM »
I'm with the others here.

That is a good looking trigger guard.

Now, if you are looking to make it "more correct" then that is even more reason to leave it "as is".

The only (maybe) converted Hawken rifle is the one at the Smithsonian and it's an S. Hawken.

So the curl is correct on yours, but on that particular rifle there is a trigger spur.

(I picked up one of these trigger spur guards from Dixon's back in July - they are available)

Being that this is the only "known" possibly originally converted from flint Hawken (and there is still very polarized debate as to whether it was flint and converted or simply built this way using scrounged parts and was never flint), this can be taken as the only example of what trigger guard "would be correct" - given no other evidence or examples.

The few very early (suspected) St. Louis rifles either by Sam alone (before he hooked up with Jake) and Jake or Jake and Sam together used an eastern style (Maryland) guard that was favoured by their father.

So if you are trying to "mimic" what an early J&S "might" have looked like IF it was originally flint and converted, the trigger guard would "most probably" have looked like this example (this rifle was detailed by Doc White a good few decades back).

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2014, 08:32:58 PM »
The facts are simple on these Hawken rifles.They were all hand made and the fact that they are tells me that it's a miracle that even ONE is alike much less two.Very similar,yes,exactly alike,no.
I have two "Hawken"type trigger guards here that are cast and are heavy.The first $10 gets them both.
They can be filed or ground to dimension I suppose but not by me.

Bob Roller

Offline spiderman852

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 12:08:07 AM »
I'll take them.

Pm me with your mailing address please.

Thanks , Mike

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 01:34:33 AM »
My snail mail is:
Bob Roller
1805 Monroe Ave
Huntington WV
I have NO idea where these came from.I don't remember buying them and I am certain
I didn't steal them.

Bob Roller

Offline Chuck Burrows

• Wild Rose Trading Company
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2014, 09:16:32 AM »
Luke I'd like to see the whole rifle if possible. The trigger guard on there, which is an 1850's style, is not necessarily out of place if one considers during the supposed conversion the triggers and guard may have been replaced as well.
But dependent on other features of the rifle (style of cheek piece and buttplate for instance) one could replace it with an earlier style guard more befitting the late 1830's or 1840's era for the conversion.

Now with all due respect to galamb, I must disagree regarding some of his statements....
While yes we currently have no extant flint Hawken mtn rifles in their original state, the fact is we also as historians need to look at the shops production based on the context of the time period in consideration as well as the written records as well as the still existing items.
1) The Hawken Bros were building rifles in an era when percussion rifles were still looked upon skeptically by many of the mountaineers, a major consumer base - I really don't see them refusing a to build a flint rifle, especially since they not only built guns, since they weren't so well to do that they could turn down jobs. The shop did a bunch of general blacksmith work as well as building guns as did most such shops. Regarding the lack of existing flint Hawken Mtn Rifles, as my old history profs beat into my head lo those many  years ago, abscence of evidence is not evidence of abscence. We also know that Sam built a rifle for Gen'l Ashley in 1822 that was most likely a flint model since a few years later the Gen'l noted he had used the percussion system but little, yet he carried that Hawken west for over a year at least.
2) In 1829 Etienne Provost, booshway for the American Fur Co. had the company purchase two Hawken rifles for him. The same year, Kenneth McKenzie, chief factor of the AFCo's Fort Floyd (later Ft Union), had the order two Hawkens for himself. In April of 1830, 9 Hawken rifles were shipped by the AFCo to Ft Union. While we have no exacting descriptions of these rifles, these were purchased by a company who we know ordered thousands of trade rifles from Henry and others and it was not until 1840 that they ordered ANY percussion rifles.
3) There is a question of exactly when the Mountain rifle style was first developed and most Hawken students will say the process began in the mid-1820's and saw fruition by 1830 or so. While we have no dated Hawken rifleI'm aware of anyway prior to the mid-1830's, there are those such as the Dunham and Peterson rifles which show signs of being a transitional style from the Maryland style the brothers had cut there teeth on. But there were other influences on their work by the time they began working together in 1825 - Jake worked at Harper's Ferry, the varied styles that they may have worked on doing repairs such as the So Mtn rifles with their iron mounts and long tangs, and the English sporting rifles which had an influence on their half-stock style at least and the scroll guard (the Peterson rifle uses a typical English scroll guard with a short trigger bar, unlike the typical guard used with the long trigger bar on later Hawkens) even on the fullstocks. While we cannot be absolutely sure of exactly when the style was born, there are hints that such a style was in vogue by 1830. For instance in that year the American Fur Company began ordering steel/iron mounted rifles from Henry of Boullton, a major supplier of western trade rifles. with many of the features that make up the Hawken Mtn style, including long back straps (6" tangs), long trigger bars with two wrist bolts between the tang and bar, steel mounts, and often somewhat shorter (38") barrels. By 1834 Henry was offering the Scroll model rifle with scroll guard along with the features noted. Henry was well known for incorporating improvements developed by others and AFCo was always looking for a less expensive gun - in this case the Hawkens purchased by AFCo during the 1830's was $22.50-25.00 and the steel mounted Henry's were $17-19.00. not a huge cost savings but enough to make them attractive.
see the Peterson rifle here
Peterson Hawken

4) The Smithsonian Hawken conversion is a total hack job, when viewed closely, so I can't see Sam building a rifle using such crappy parts, especially on a fairly fancy rifle - the tacks on the wrist BTW are part of a repair job. While the 1850's may seem late for a flinter, it's far from the realm of believabilty since many flint arms were still being built during the period and not just trade guns.

5) Now I may be accused of heresy by some Hawken students, but regarding the other fullstock conversion pictured above (often called the Fuller after Harold Fuller), I do not believe the rifle itself was a product of the Hawken shop. It may have been converted by them sometime in the late 1830's-1840's (based on the bolster styling) but I got to inspect that gun in 1978-79 and what I saw was a Lancaster style rifle, buttplate, triggerguard, and patchbox are all much more of the school than any other Jake or Sam made rifle. The you have the overstamping of the probably original name on the barrel to mark it out completely followed by the J & S stamp pver that. The Hawken shop was well known in it's day for working on eastern rifles to make them more fitting for the western usage. Sabin, in the 1840's noted that was much of the work done by the Hawken shop up until that time.  So frankly I would not use this gun as a good example of an early trigger guard, especially since we have scroll guards used on Hawkens at least as early as the mid-1830's.
Here's the stamp below - you can see more of the rifle here
Fuller Hawken

While I admit none of my points can prove absolutely that there were flintlock Hawken mtn rifles made at any point in time, when all the evidence is taken into consideration and based on those facts we do know for sure, IMO it's pretty good evidence, despite being circumstantial evidence, for the very good possibilty such Hawken mtn rifles were built during the 1828 or so to 1850's era.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 12:05:04 AM by Chuck Burrows »
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

Offline spiderman852

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2014, 12:45:33 PM »
Good thread!

Check is on the way Bob.
Thanks, Mike

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2014, 02:49:58 PM »
Has any looked at the upper edge of the lock mortise to see if there is a scalloped area for the cock to rest in when the lock is fired? Just a thought.

Bob Roller

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2014, 04:14:55 PM »
The Fuller rifle does look like a straight up Lancaster rifle to me.
Andover, Vermont

Offline alyce-james

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2014, 04:33:04 PM »
Luke; Sir, Don Getz, " Gun looks to good the way it is, I would" NOT "change it". Thanks for sharing, AJ.
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

Offline Luke MacGillie

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2014, 04:36:59 PM »
Chuck,

Here you go, some more pics of my rifle

galamb

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2014, 08:59:48 PM »
I absolutely agree that the Hawken brothers, both together and alone, built flintlocks.

What I suggested was that there are no examples of a flint rifle in the style that comes to mind when the term "Plains or Mountain" rifle is tossed around and it would be quite a stretch to state that a particular trigger guard of any type of curled design would be "correct".

Here is a rifle that Sam built, most probably in 1820 or 1821 just before he went west to St. Louis (although to be fair it could have been built as early as 1815). It is very much an Eastern/Maryland style that was built either in Ohio or Maryland.

I think it would be impractical to believe that any flintlocks that Sam may have built when he first got to St. Louis, either before he connected up with Jake, or in the very early start of their business, would look "significantly" different.

In fact, the picture of the J&S that I posted above, that Doc White first come across in the mid 1960's looks far more like this early Sam piece than the latter "Plains" rifles.

Although it does utilize a long beavertail tang which was possibly one of the early "changes" they made to their style as it was developing.

While there is no way of dating this rifle, I would suggest it pre-dates the Atcheson rifle (ca. 1836) by a good few years.

The Atcheson was defiantly built later in the path to the (standardized) Plains rifle (or as standard as the brothers ever got), yet it still showed significant Eastern influence.

The trigger guard is now morphing from what their father built but the curl is not developed yet. The toe plate is long and pierced with Maryland Bell-flowers and cheekpiece is mostly beavertail but certainly not as refined as it would later become. 

My point is not to contest as to whether they ever built flint rifles - they absolutely did, or that they never built St. Louis flint rifles - they most probably did but have never seen one.

What I am saying is that if you are attempting to build a St. Louis "early" flint Hawken that it should look quite a bit more like a Maryland rifle than a Plains rifle with flintlock. Because even if they continued to make the occasional flint rifle up until or even after Jake's death, those produced in their early years (1822-1835) almost certainly looked nothing like a Plains rifle.

That's just my take on it.

Offline louieparker

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2014, 09:09:46 PM »
Rich, I worked on a rifle a couple of years ago that  looked like an eastern rifle . Maple  full stock, brass mounted, brass patch box, big bore and three wedges ., The barrel markings were worn, but S Hawken was visible and there was no doubt in my mind that the S was preceded by J . As there was a worn depression but nothing else..  It makes sense to me that the early rifles looked more like eastern rifles until the Hawken that we know evolved.

Offline huntinguy

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2014, 09:21:51 PM »
I picked this wonderful custom Hawken earlier this year.  Made in 1988 by someone named Wheeler. 

As you can see from the photo this has the appearance of a gun that was made in flint, but was converted to percussion.  But it has what Ive come to understand is a late style of Hawken triggerguard.  Am I out of my mind considering changing out the guard for the early style where the rear curl is more open and cylindrical in shape?

Or, you could say that you were running your trap-line and were jumped by a party of Gros Ventres and you block a hawk blow with your rifle and it smashed the trigger guard and when you finished the three days straight, running both night and day, of out running the war party you had to have it replaced and the smith used a later modle that he had just gotten from another rifle who's owner didn't run so well.

Makes a much better story.  ;D
Anything worth shooting is worth shooting once.

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2014, 09:59:38 PM »
Rich, I worked on a rifle a couple of years ago that  looked like an eastern rifle . Maple  full stock, brass mounted, brass patch box, big bore and three wedges ., The barrel markings were worn, but S Hawken was visible and there was no doubt in my mind that the S was preceded by J . As there was a worn depression but nothing else..  It makes sense to me that the early rifles looked more like eastern rifles until the Hawken that we know evolved.

Agee, Louie, that their early work would appear "eastern" and that they made flintlock rifles; number unknown, but probably less than 100.  The over stamping on that barrel suggests several possibilities to me.  Maybe they used a used barrel to build a rifle or they converted and modified an existing rifle, or this whole rifle was purpose built by them from the ground up and the overstamping resulted from something we cannot surmise.  But the rifle looks straight up Lancaster trade rifle to me and does not resemble a more slender Maryland rifle of the period.  It would also make sense that the Hawken brothers might copy features from popular Lancaster trade rifles in the early years, though it would be hard to compete with the larger shops, price-wise.  That may have driven their move toward more sophisticated plains rifles which could command a premium price.  It's fun to speculate. Nobody can provide an early J or J&S Hawken in flint that satisfies most who are interested, so we are all speculating, I think.  To me, that makes for more opportunities in creative crafting of rifles that represent what "might have been".  Not sure about the market for contemporary built early fur trade rifles nowadays though.
Andover, Vermont

galamb

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2014, 10:19:17 PM »
  That may have driven their move toward more sophisticated plains rifles which could command a premium price. 

That's more how I see the evolution of their rifles and which is why I lean more towards the side that says they "never" built a Plains rifle in flint - even if a customer wanted one.

There was no doubt a market for a 4 door Corvette, yet GM never built one. There were plenty of other models and other makers that built 4 door cars if you wanted one.

And yes, I get the part about them being businessmen and having to feed themselves, but that does not preclude them from producing a high end product in cap only (once the percussion era was fully established - possibly around the time their Plains style became what we think of).

After all, there were numerous other shops in the area making more economical rifles and rifles from "back east" could be bought for about 1/2 the price of a Hawken in some cases.

So while it is entirely possible that if Mountain Bob came in, planted 25 bucks on the table and asked for flinter, they said we'll start today.

But it is also possible that they politely suggested that perhaps he go down the road unless he wanted a percussion model.

The lack of evidence either way fully supports and refutes both scenario's.

So just maybe the Hawken Plain's rifle was like the 'Vette - a take it as it is or shop elsewhere type deal. ???

Offline louieparker

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2014, 12:27:47 AM »
When I said " like an eastern rifle" not a long graceful rifle .. But similiar to the rifles made for the western trade..  LP

Offline Chuck Burrows

• Wild Rose Trading Company
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2014, 12:27:59 AM »
Luke I can't tell on the buttplate is the area where the return meets the actual plate curved or straight?

curved return - style used up until the mid-1850's or so - the original forged pltes were made thus and the earliest cast plates followed the same pattern

straight return - style used later, same as on the Carson and Bridger rifles

Graham (aka galamb) still disagree re: Hawken flint mountain rifles especially considering Henry, one of the Hawken shops main competitors, was making such style rifles by 1830 but I just got back from chemo and need to get my thoughts I order before replying - got an idea that this may just be one of those places we may have to agree to disagree...and folks it tain't an argument between Graham and me - just a difference of opinion based on somewhat different outlooks...

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

galamb

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2014, 01:55:27 AM »
Absolutely agree it's not an argument.

This forum is a fantastic place to throw differing ideas and opinions back and forth.

I have rarely seen a discussion get personal even when the belief's are at very opposite ends.

I appreciate a back and forth such as this - gives me things to ponder.

(and should have added - Chuck and I have chatted a couple times outside of this forum. He has been kind enough to share Hawken related material with me, which I greatly appreciate. As he puts it, our interpretation of the (sketchy) known facts just tend to differ a little)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 02:10:11 AM by galamb »

Offline Luke MacGillie

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2014, 02:25:45 AM »
So what yall are saying is we aint gonna see a fight like this?

galamb

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2014, 11:11:12 PM »
No - we would settle things like real ALR members....

Black Powder pistols at 50 paces  ;D

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2014, 01:47:59 AM »
First, given the state of the art of the percussion cap and the fact that the American Fur Company would not BUY percussion rifles from Henry, the fact that there are no percussion caps in the inventories of supplies going to Rendezvous, the fact that in 1840 people were still being advised against using percussion guns in the west all tell me that Jake and Sam surely had to make some flintlocks.  I have read that there is a surviving FL Hawken used in the western trade in the possession of the original owners family. Would have to search for the reference.

I would also point out that the supposed reliability of the percussion vs the FL is greatly overrated. Especially if the caps are of questionable quality as they were early on even if "standarized" which is questionable in 1825. I would then point out that its my best guess that the "Petersen" Hawken.

Is a contemporary of this rifle

Which is dated 1836.

Now I am not a Hawken expert. But I suggest that if the "Petersen" rifle (with its "late" scroll) is a mid-1830s rifle then what were they making BEFORE this?
Its impossible for Jake and Sam to have NOT made flintlocks in St Louis. That the Smithsonian rifle WAS built as flint and is a S Hawken tells me they were making flint guns far later than many might want to think. Rifles got used for long periods of time unless the user retired and hangs them on a wall in MO, OR or VA and they then survive. So we have rifle descriptions such as "Old Blackfoot" described in "Firearms of the American West 1803-1865" pg 50 (the entire book, at least the civilian arms chapters, are required reading for anyone wanting to understand firearms of the period.)  It was traded from the Blackfeet who had killed its orignal owner sometime previous. It was taken back to Bents Fort, restocks and converted to perc and used as a target rifle until it was traded for a double shotgun about 1845. The new owner, a Santa Fe trader, took it to St Louis had it half stocked, a new lock and "breech pin" fitted and carried for all his subsequent travels. There is more to the story and it was apparently a Kentucky with a  shop forged barrel not something from Henry etc based on the initials on the barrel.  Hawken rifles were still in use out here, the west, far later than people would like to think. Until the advent of the 44-77 class of cartridges they were the best hunting rifle available aside from some of the English imports and these were usually too large in the bore. A description of these can be seen in "Prostecting for Gold in Montana" by Granville Stewart who was a "gun guy" it seems and traded into an English Rifle of something over 70 caliber IIRC. He stated that to get accuracy it took so much powder that it spun him 1/2 around when he shot it.

I would really like to disassemble, or at least remove the locks, of some of the FS Hawkens to see what I find in the mortise. But this is not likely to happen.
Then we have what Garafaglia and Worman call the "refined" Hawken. This is the rifle everyone thinks of when they think Hawken. This halfstocked rifle is an Americanized and in someways improved, English sporting rifle of the 1800-1850 period. This is where the 1/2 stock and scroll guard came from. And the ENGLISH used what we would call the "late" scroll guard back into the 18th C. So to me this blows the "early" and "late" ideas out of the water. The "high" scroll guard is far more recoil friendly to me than the one flat on the wrist.
If we make the assumption that the "Petersen Rifle" dates to 1835 we must then ask what did Jake and Sam make BEFORE this "early" rifle?
People, especially percussion shooters, just LOVE to tell us how unreliable the FL is. However, based on "several" years of use of a number of FL guns I can tell you that if the FL is a good one and its being handled by someone who KNOWS how its pretty !@*%&@ reliable. In shooting matches its FAR better than most percussions. I tend to shoot in matches till the thing quits and I will have some sort of failure in 10-20 shots. Invariably from some error on my part, I never change flints or clean the vent till it starts acting up. I have no had a fail to fire when HUNTING in 35 years or so and none with rifle I have built. But a great many of the locks we buy today have "issues". Those marketed by the builders/shooters of FL rifles are usually superior to the others. None of the locks we buy are equal to a best quality lock made in England in 1750-1815 though some are very good they are not that good since making them that good would price them so high people will (and do) buy the cheaper lock. Something that the American Fur Company warned against when writing to Henry about the rifles they ordered.
Thinking that someone walking into the Hawken Shop in the mid 1830s or even 1840 and asking for a FL being turned away too laughable to consider.
I would also add that for a long time I have felt that the 1833 date on the Modena Rifle is too early.
I need to get to the shop.

Dan

He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine