Author Topic: sight distance  (Read 5089 times)

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
sight distance
« on: October 20, 2014, 07:18:27 PM »
All of the rifles I have built up to this point have been for a specific person.  When you are building a gun with no specific person in mind is there a rule of thumb for determining the distance from the breech to the rear sight, and then from the rear sight to the front?

Coryjoe

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: sight distance
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 07:54:34 PM »
I set my rear sight at least 14" for'd of the breech - more if it doesn't go past the entry pipe.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Online smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 07:57:56 PM »
If you grip the gun like you'd carry it, at the balance point on the fore stock, the sight would go just behind your hand towards the breach.
If you have young eyes, there's no reason to rub a blister on your hand while you carry it!!
In His grip,

Dane

Offline flehto

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 08:57:06 PM »
The center of the dovetail for the front sight is 1-1/2" from the muzzle. When the LR is held at the balance point by hand, the rear sight is just forward of the hand  but not by much. This usually  locates the rear sight over the entry pipe. I've    never measured  the distance from the breech end, but having the rear sight over the entry pipe has gotten good responses from the buyers of my spec built LRs. The rear sight landing atop the entry pipe occurs w/ bbl lengths from 44"-46" and it seems the " weight" or profile of the swamped bbl really doesn't change things.   Also, the LOP is right on at 13-3/4" w/ all my spec builds. .....Fred 

Offline RAT

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 09:28:33 PM »
I've only built 2 rifles... so I'm no expert... but what's worked out for me is this...

Locate where the front sight is going to be and measure the barrel dia across the flats at that point. You don't really need a measurement, just set a pair of calipers until they touch the barrel at that point. With a tapered and flared barrel, move the calipers to the rear until they touch the barrel again. This marks the point where the barrel is the same dia at both points. If you locate your rear sight here you can make the front and rear sights the same height.

Well not really... make the front sight as little higher so it shoots low. File the front sight down at the rang when sighting in the rifle.
Bob

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 02:57:10 PM »
    I would agree with Fred on this one, set the rear sight just in front of the hand at the carry position.   This usually puts you pretty close to the entry pipe position.  In checking originals (that were not cut back and percussed, and then reconverted) this seems to be the position favored by original makers.   There are always some with good eyes that feel more comfortable with the sight a little closer, but in general the above works well. 
      As far as the front sight,  I favor a position 2" to the rear of the muzzle.  This helps to give the forend a nice slim look.  Many new builders set the front ram rod thimble too close to the nose cap and use a very abbreviated step up to the ramrod channel, which results in a stubby looking forend termination.
Ron
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Turtle

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 03:22:11 PM »
 I have had the new owner shoulder the unfinished rifle with the front sight on ,but without the rear sight installed. I then stick the rear sight on the barrel temporarily and have them sight a target wearing the glasses, if any, they use for shooting. Then avoiding the hand carry area, I move it around. Younger eyes prefer closer to the eye, older further. I have even moved rear sights foreword for aging shooters. It also is a good time to check if the cheekpiece is too high if you use a rear sight low enough to duplicate one in the dovetail.
                                                          IHS, Turtle

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 03:26:23 PM »
Ron.....I agree with the front sight placement, about 2" from the muzzle.....on a long
barrel...44" or more.   As for the rear sight, it kind of varies with the length of the
barrel.  We sold a lot of the 38" transition barrels. as a matter of fact that is what we
used on that Isaac Haines kit, and I think I used to put the rear sight at about 11"
from the breech.  Actually, You should be placing that rear sight where you can see
it well......as you get older this becomes a problem..........Don

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2014, 04:29:01 PM »
When I was living and shooting in Colorado in the late 70's early 80's, I had a friend named Deak Flintchpaw that set up his rifle sight picture to match his pistol sight picture.  While he held his pistol, a person measured the sight distances from his eyes.  He then held up his rifle and had that person marked the exact same locations on his rifle barrel.  Looked funny as $#*! but he was a staunch competitor and won many matches.  He also had a cannon made from an 40mm Naval salute gun that would cloverleaf 5 shots at 250 yards.
David 

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2014, 06:26:31 PM »
Thank for the help everyone.  Lots of good ideas to work with.

Coryjoe

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2014, 10:04:16 PM »
When I was living and shooting in Colorado in the late 70's early 80's, I had a friend named Deak Flintchpaw that set up his rifle sight picture to match his pistol sight picture.  While he held his pistol, a person measured the sight distances from his eyes.  He then held up his rifle and had that person marked the exact same locations on his rifle barrel.  Looked funny as $#*! but he was a staunch competitor and won many matches.  He also had a cannon made from an 40mm Naval salute gun that would cloverleaf 5 shots at 250 yards.
David 

David, Deak is still out there competing and is a strong contender.  Whenever I take my grandkids to a shoot he is always enthusiastic about helping them out.  A good guy.
Mike Lee