Author Topic: Arm Gun question?  (Read 4823 times)

Turtle

Arm Gun question?
« on: October 21, 2014, 09:10:20 PM »
 A new thread because I am really curious. Are sharply curved rifles meant to be shot from the biceps?
                           IHS,Turtle
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 10:53:50 PM by Acer Saccharum »

coutios

Re: Arm Gun queation?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 09:31:31 PM »
  I shoulder them cross bodied and just above the actual (large portion) of the bicep...

Dave

Offline PPatch

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 09:35:48 PM »
Yes, kinda, if you are talking mountain style, you place the butt plate at the junction of the arm and shoulder. Not on the muscle of the shoulder nor on the upper arm, but between and a bit more toward the arm side. You'll get used to it and it quickly comes to feel "right" once you do. Put it up there and do what comes naturally.

dp
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 09:23:22 PM by PPatch »
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 09:36:32 PM »
Hi Turtle,
Are you referring to longrifles with a lot of drop, which can be shot from the shoulder, often just above the bicep, or are you thinking of early petronels?  The petronels have radical drop (shaped almost like a fish hook) and were meant to be fired from the chest.

dave  
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline KLMoors

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 01:47:02 AM »
Or do you mean a sharply curved butt plate?

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 03:15:19 AM »
Or do you mean a sharply curved butt plate?

This is my guess.  Yeah, as stated above--just "off" the shoulder.  Not hard to make the adjustment.

...hurts if you don't.  ::)

Hold to the Wind

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 06:36:02 AM »
I make my butt pieces to fit around the upper arm just below the actual shoulder joint.    If you have made the butt piece and installed it correctly,   the butt should lock in to your arm so that the butt cannot move up or down.  My last E TN was the best fitting rifle I have ever made.   

Turtle

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 02:28:51 PM »
 Yes, sorry, sharply curved buttplate. I shoot my Remington perchbelly  halfstock 1816 replica that way and I like it. So, some southern rifles are made for this style of shooting also? Any others? I am interested in building a longrifle to shoot this way.
Thanks so much for the help.
                                 IHS,Turtle

kaintuck

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2014, 02:42:43 PM »
Yup....look at the old savage 99's.......year and style, diferrent way of holding them....

Marc n tomtom

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2014, 07:47:18 PM »
Yes, sorry, sharply curved buttplate. I shoot my Remington perchbelly  halfstock 1816 replica that way and I like it. So, some southern rifles are made for this style of shooting also? Any others? I am interested in building a longrifle to shoot this way.
                                 IHS,Turtle

Anything with a crescent of much depth is meant to be shot this way, this means most late Kentuckys. its impossible to shoot the typical 19th c. rifle from the shoulder "pocket" as one can an early Kentucky and shotgun buttock designs.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2014, 09:43:34 PM »
                                 IHS,Turtle

I cannot speak for other styles but the crescent butt/plate is a defining characteristic of most Tennessee-styled guns. 

Hold to the Wind