Author Topic: making grain sack hunting bags???  (Read 2657 times)

Offline sonny

making grain sack hunting bags???
« on: October 20, 2014, 05:20:36 PM »
Hello all, I am thinking about making grain sack hunting bags/pouches but cannot find any pictures or details how it was done. How the heck would a bag made from linen or hemp fashioned into a poor mans hunting bag hold shape when being carried?. Is there a web site dedicated to looks an construction of these???.............thanks----sonny

Offline Virginiarifleman

Re: making grain sack hunting bags???
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 06:48:21 PM »
Check with Mr. TC Albert here on the forum. he has made several.

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
Re: making grain sack hunting bags???
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 02:50:37 AM »
Well, as for holding their shape...the smaller the better, especially with finer fabric like linen...
a heavy duty cotton canvas mail sack works great, but so will a feed sack or even an old chilled shop bag...

If the fabric is too thin, actually lining it with ticking or linen beefs it up...

I usually stitch them up inside out, then turn them...and try to make them out of one piece of fabric to avoid a flap seam if I can...to do that just play around with the material folding  and pinning it up with straight pins until you get it just right, then stitch it up....

Several years back I did a story for Muzzleloader about making a canvas market hunters double pouch from one long strip of canvas...heres a link to ordering a back issue if you would like to
http://www.muzzleloadermagazine.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_10&products_id=24 ...that might be your best bet...I covered strap attachment, antiquing, and other details as I recall...
tc  
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 02:54:59 AM by T.C.Albert »
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com