Author Topic: Thimble retaining pin hole  (Read 11595 times)

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
Re: Thimble retaining pin hole
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2014, 10:42:10 PM »
  They weren't that much different than we are. Some of them had drill presses also. Some were perfectionists and some couldn't  care less. The good guns sold for more and the poor one sometimes never sold or sold for less. I am amused when some "gun maker" makes a mistake and then goes to the books to try and find some " gun maker" in colonial America who made the same mistake to prove that his is justified. All it proves is that both of them made a mistake. If 2 pilots crash a plane does that mean it's OK?  For some it does. Not Me.
 Well I guess it's easier than learning to fly.  
 PS. I don't think people come to this web sight to learn how to do things the wrong way.
 Or ---- How to be a failure.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 10:44:29 PM by jerrywh »
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2014, 07:27:48 PM »
You are correct Jerry. We all try hard to "do it right" but not all of us have the skills to be "perfect"  ;) ;D.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2014, 07:54:27 PM »
As mentioned previously, there are lots of ways to drill pipe, lugs etc. in stocks.  There is a varying degree of risk with each method.  Drilling by hand is probably the most risky.  When webs are shrunk to the absolute minimum, there is very little room for error.  I know it's easy to fall into the trap to think that if something has worked for you then it's good enough, but it's not always that simple.  The safest and least risky method of drilling holes is to have the stock firmly held in a vise with the aid of a drill press.  This can be used with a fully shaped stock if one uses a small 1/16" endmill or router bit to spot and partially drill the holes.  The ones I use have a shank around 1/4" and are quite stiff.  I've drilled holes with a hand drill and still do on occasion, but if you want to minimize fixing problems, there are better options.  I personally don't care for fixing mistakes anymore than I have to.  As far as originals go, the holes often go every which direction and are not typically square to anything.  In talking to Wallace, drilling small holes with 18th century technology (bits included) is not a pleasant task and prone to problems. 

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2014, 08:35:56 PM »
Adding one last thing to what Jim has said - I used to just mark my holes with a pencil dot, use a slight punch to form an indent, then drill with the drill press.  Lately I'll get the hole started by punching with a 1/16" punch about 1/8" deep - no wandering subsequently happens and the hole is exactly where I want it.  Also takes less time now.  Original holes are all over the place, I've never seen one that was "perfect" by our definition.  That's no excuse or justification for sloppy workmanship, but we do tend to over think things these days IMO. 
-Eric
Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

Offline Dave B

« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2014, 08:04:40 AM »
I remember running across this old plate from the Master french Gunsmiths book. The apprentice is holding a framed bow drill fixture IMO, The master holds the bow in his hand from what it looks like. Some of the other tools are interesting to look at for our counterparts today. this tool for drilling would make finer drilling much more reasonable. Has any one run across an example of one of these? I have never tried to drill a hole in the fore stock using one of the spindle and bow drills but would think that if you were to use Eric's punch Idea to get things lined up int the beginning would go a long way to allowing you to stay on track.

Dave Blaisdell