Author Topic: castoff  (Read 3773 times)

Offline Jim Curlee

castoff
« on: February 14, 2009, 07:24:21 PM »
Just wondering if anyone here, has ever tried steaming, to impart some castoff in a pre-carved stock? I've bent alot of wood with steam, but haven't tried a nice stock, hate to ruin it.
Thank's Jim

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
Re: castoff
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 07:54:21 PM »
Hi ya, 65Pan,

Welcome to the board!  I have never steamed a stock but there is some good info on the operation in the archives of the old ALR board.  Here's a link (I hope)...

http://americanlongrifles.org/old_board/index.php?topic=8156.0

If the link doesn't work, click on "ALR Archives" on the main home page and do a search on "steaming stock".

"65Pan"?  Are you a Harley rider?

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Madcaster

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 10:45:35 PM »
 Sure am glad to see the link!That was a most helpful post!

Offline Jim Curlee

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 11:10:10 PM »
Ron; I can't get the link to work, and I can't find a heading for the archive's. Or maybe it's off limit's to me?
Yes, I ride old Harley's, no newfangled bike's for me.
Jim

Offline Benedict

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 11:30:27 PM »
Hi ya, 65Pan,

Welcome to the board!  I have never steamed a stock but there is some good info on the operation in the archives of the old ALR board.  Here's a link (I hope)...

http://americanlongrifles.org/old_board/index.php?topic=8156.0

If the link doesn't work, click on "ALR Archives" on the main home page and do a search on "steaming stock".

"65Pan"?  Are you a Harley rider?

-Ron

That post looked good but i remember one where they used hot oil on the stock to get it hot enough to bend.  I do not know where it is but suggest that you might want to keep looking for that one also.

Bruce

northmn

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 11:53:27 PM »
Actually I need to steam a modern 16 ga. OU to get the castoff OUT of the stock.  I shoot lefthanded it is cast on for me.

DP

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 01:40:35 AM »
If you are bending a modern stock to remove cast off most of the professionals are now using heat lamps and vegetable oil.  Done right it doesn't damage the finish and it does better than steam.  I don't bend my own, but a gunsmith named Mike Orlen has bent a couple for me.  He offers quick service and reasonalble prices. Has a good reputation too.  email me at jvlape@cox.net and I will get back to you with the address if you want one for Mike.

Offline Z. Buck

• Fabricati Diem Pvnc
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2009, 04:56:42 AM »
Jim, i could be wrong but i think the archives are in a different system but the mods copy over our user name and password from here to it, send a mod a message and have them add you to access for the archives, Zack
I Make Inflammatory Statements

Be Prepared