Author Topic: Trigger guard on Chambers English Fowler/Officer's fusil  (Read 4441 times)

Online satwel

Trigger guard on Chambers English Fowler/Officer's fusil
« on: November 04, 2014, 02:40:28 AM »
Hello,
I am building an English Fowler from Jim Chambers and I have a question about the trigger guard. Because it is so delicate and the edges of the finial so complex, I assume the trigger guard is not inlet into the stock very deeply or maybe even not at all? I'd love to hear how others who have put one together handled the trigger guard. In the few photos I've managed to find on the web of finished guns it looks as if the TG finial lies on top of the wood, but it's hard to tell for sure. Out of the box, the stock has no inletting for the trigger guard, just the trigger plate.

Thank you in advance for your responses.

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
Re: Trigger guard on Chambers English Fowler/Officer's fusil
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 03:01:16 AM »
The triggerguard should be inlet so that when the wood is finished, the edges of the finial meet the wood.  This may mean only inletting 1/32" deep or so.  It should certainly not be surface mounted. 
-Eric
Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 03:04:14 AM »
I inlet mine. I think it ended up being about 1/16th inch. The finial seems to flow out of the wood, if that makes any sense . The edges don't show.

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 03:39:01 AM »
One method for inletting detailed trigger guards is to use a very small "chisel" made from one of those tiny screw drivers used for eye glasses.  By small, I mean maybe 1/8" wide, smaller is even better.  You can put a nice edge on them by carefully grinding.  I've found that their usually tempered well enough that you can get away without any further heat treating.  Firmly clamp the trigger guard in place and stamp all around with the small chisel.  Remember to put a slight draft on the trigger guard, and it should be very tight without gaps.

I hesitate to say this, but another method that also works very well is to heat the trigger guard, then set it on the wood where it'll be going.  You don't need to get the brass red hot, just hot enough that it leaves a mark.  It'll leave a perfect outline for you to go back over to stamp and inlet.  You're NOT burning the trigger guard into the wood.  A little practice might be needed, but it's an excellent method for "fancy" trigger guards...

Ed
Ed Wenger

Online Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 04:22:13 AM »
It's inlet just like any other trigger guard. Check out the english fowling guns on my website.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Jim Chambers

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 04:40:09 AM »
I agree with all the above, and the back portion of the guard is also inlet into the wood about 1/16" and pinned in place.  Please don't use screws instead of pins.  Screws just look awful.

Online satwel

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 06:28:09 AM »
Thanks everyone for your thoughtful responses. You've provided exactly the information I need to proceed. I will file a draft on the edge of the trigger guard, inlet it then pin it. I like the idea of using the tiny screw driver from an eye glass repair kit to stab around the edge. I already have several of those rolling around in a drawer somewhere. I never would have thought of that.

Cheers