Author Topic: Nice original powder horn  (Read 6897 times)

Online Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Nice original powder horn
« on: November 08, 2014, 09:13:39 PM »
   Picked up this horn today from an estate auction in Franklin PA.  Horn is a little over
14 inches long and plug is 3 inches in diameter.  I was hoping someone could suggest the area it may have originated.  It looks like a lot of the scraped western pa horns I see around here except for the shaping of the spout.  I thought the colors were pleasing and the condition is very good.  The camera washed out the golden/green/black colors.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 02:33:03 AM by Shreckmeister »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
Re: Nice original powder horn
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 11:57:21 PM »
That's a great find Shreck. Very appealing horn. Nice shape and they didn't over do the tip.
Steve Skillman

Online Shreckmeister

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 02:31:35 AM »
The tip has a crack and the copper band appears to be a period of use repair.
She was clear full of powder as a bonus.  I'm thinking it has spent it's whole life in western PA
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 02:34:22 AM by Shreckmeister »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2014, 04:44:49 AM »
I didn't even realize that was a copper band. Yup. I would agree it's a correct repair.

Steve
Steve Skillman

Offline PPatch

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 03:35:15 PM »
Nice! My current horn is almost a dead ringer for that one.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

gizamo

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2014, 01:51:21 AM »
The more contemporary horn I see... The more Appreciation of the originals...grows!

Nothing like a early horn.

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2014, 03:18:10 AM »
Nice find.  You always come up with something. I personally am a sucker for a good repair. It means someone else thought enough of it to save it for there own use and for our enjoyment.  As to where it's made you may be spot on with Western Pa.  JIM
JIM

Online Shreckmeister

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2014, 12:20:16 AM »
I was wondering if the stopper was appropriate to the age of the horn?  I tend to think it's not the original.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2014, 12:45:58 AM »
 The stopper looks new, and so does the strap. Kinda sounds like the original pipe ax I bought from a trader. he said it was all original, the head had only been replaced once, and the handle three times.

Hungry Horse

Online Shreckmeister

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2014, 01:00:23 AM »
The strap is definitely 20th century.  The leather cord attaching the stopper looks old.

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2014, 12:15:50 AM »
Nice score!!

Offline Top Jaw

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2014, 04:06:21 AM »
Hi Shreck

When I first looked at your horn it looks like it is in tremendous shape, and it first struck me as a more contemporary horn with some well done aging.  Obviously you have it in your hands and Im just looking at your pics.  Any chance you think it could be newer made? (Maybe post 1983, after Don Wright's well done article on building powderhorns in "The Book of Buckskinning" vol 2.)  Just a thought, because it looks to be in fantastic shape.  If not, then I would say you have an extremely nice original in pristine condition, and you should count that as a very fortunate find!  Either way, it is a nice horn.   

Online Shreckmeister

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2014, 04:54:19 AM »
Top Jaw,  Not a chance it's contemporary.  This picture should convince you.

Offline Top Jaw

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2014, 05:29:24 AM »
Roger that!  Good find!

Broadhead

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2014, 06:10:35 AM »
Nice find bud