Author Topic: Curley chestnut  (Read 2114 times)

Offline B.Habermehl

Curley chestnut
« on: November 09, 2014, 08:13:45 PM »
Finally, I decided to say to heck with it all and build something for me. The project is a Newcomber styled rifle. .45 cal. Shaped out to one of my own patterns. The stock blank is Curley American Chestnut. This project has been languishing for Heaven only knows how many years.  The question is, what stains has any of the board members fooled with on chestnut? Originally I was planning to use one of Laurel mountains Stains. But was wondering what lye or ammonia would do. The wood has lots of tannin in it so I would think it would react to either. I have a decent supply of scrap for trial. Any experience out there? Lots of time, just started to square up the barrel breech. BJH
BJH

billd

Re: Curley chestnut
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 12:56:49 AM »
I have used Aqua Fortis on curly ash with good results.  Water it down a bit for the first coat.

Bill

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
Re: Curley chestnut
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 02:24:33 AM »
Ammonia fuming would give you a very rich brown.   They used to treat it and oak that way in Craftsman and Arts and Crafts construction.   I have pictures of homes almost completely finished in chestnut so treated.   I wish I could afford one.