Author Topic: Source for Nitric Acid Crystals  (Read 3764 times)

SuperCracker

Source for Nitric Acid Crystals
« on: November 13, 2014, 07:31:51 PM »
Can anyone direct me to a good source for the crystallized Nitric?  I've looked all over and can't seem to find a supplier for the crystals, only the solutions. I've seen its use mentioned on here a lot, so there must be some way to order it. lol
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 07:32:32 PM by SuperCracker »

Offline KentSmith

• Augusta Gunworks
Re: Source for Nitric Acid Crystals
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 08:01:16 PM »
Antec chemical supply in Louisville, KY sells it.

Offline PPatch

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 09:09:18 PM »
Are you looking for Ferric Nitrate, the alternate to aqua fortis?

http://www.sciencecompany.com/Ferric-Nitrate-100g-P6384.aspx

I find a 5:1 solution alcohol to FN adequate to kind of sneak up on the stain, a 3:1 will do it in one go.

dave
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 06:26:16 AM by PPatch »
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 09:23:48 PM »
SuperC,

There is no such thing as "Nitric Acid Crystals", so I am not surprised they are hard to find.  Nitric acid (aqua fortis in the old latin) is HNO3 and is only commonly available as a liquid of various concentrations and purities.  As PPatch correctly points out, what you are looking for is the nitrated iron salt (Ferric Nitrate) made by dissolving iron in nitric acid and then desiccating (removing all the water and driving off any residual acid resulting is solid crystals).  It is hard to get what you want from a chemical supply house unless you are asking for the correct item.  Little differences (like ferrous vs. ferric) make a big difference in ordering chemicals.

And, although "aqua fortis" (i.e. just nitric acid) can be used as a stain alone, on this site "aqua fortis" is often incorrectly used to refer to nitric acid with dissolved iron in it.  Not the same thing at all.
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Jack Baier

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 09:55:10 PM »
if you decide to use nitric acid i can give you some and save you the shipping and hazmat.i think we live fairly close to each other.

Offline RichG

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2014, 06:13:05 AM »
search Ebay , that's where I found ferric nitrate crystals.

SuperCracker

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2014, 06:32:52 PM »
thanks guys, you're right.  I got the two mixed up.  Got it now.  :-\

Thanks Jack. Next time I expect to be over that way I'll send you a PM. Probably next week sometime.    ;)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 06:36:17 PM by SuperCracker »

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2014, 07:42:42 PM »
I bought ferric nitrate from a store called, I think, the science company.  They should be on the web.  If they are not, let me know and I'll get more info for you from the local brick and mortar.
Mike Lee

Offline FALout

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2014, 01:47:21 AM »
The science company is on the web.  I just received a small bottle of ferric nitrate crystals, it was just under $12 but the shipping about the same, so in all you'll pay about $23-24.  I mixed 1 to 5 with denatured alcohol, put 2 coats and achieved the color I was looking for. 
Bob