Author Topic: Knife for a banquet auction (new pics added 3/6)  (Read 8848 times)

Offline Brian Jordan

• Pennsylvania
Knife for a banquet auction (new pics added 3/6)
« on: February 16, 2009, 05:30:11 PM »
I finished a knife for the Somerset County of Pennsylvania chapter of pheasants forever annual banquet. The knife is 10.0" long with a 5½" blade made of O-1 with curly maple scales held with copper pins. The scales are finished with tung oil, 5 coats so far with probably 5 more to go. The pictures are not as clear as I would like, but I tried a new filework design that is an arrowhead pattern.

Let me know what you think, I'm open for any criticizm.

I decided to make a display stand for the knife so I would not have to just lay it on the table. The base is a piece of plain maple.

I know it is not period correct, but neither is this knife. I laser etched the Pheasant forever logo onto the blade along with this years focus of the banquet. The "reintroduction of pheasants"
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 12:44:43 AM by melsdad »
Elizabeth, PA

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms"...Thomas Jefferson

Let's Go Brandon!

PINYONE

Re: Knife for a banquet auction
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 10:55:25 PM »
What is the world coming to- a fellow builds a knife with great scales, fine file work, and precision polishing. The people that this is intended for just might be upset. There to much nice work here for one knife. just send it to me and I will take care of it- The Great Pinyone

Offline Brian Jordan

• Pennsylvania
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 12:32:08 AM »
Thanks Pinyone,

I was startin' to think no one liked the knife. Heck nearly 125 folks looked at it with no comments.

Thanks for the comments☺
Elizabeth, PA

Let's Go Brandon!

omark

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 01:06:25 AM »
i would like to offer some constructive criticism, but cant see anything to gripe about. very nice knife.  mark ;)

PINYONE

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 02:22:27 AM »
Hey Melsdad- as for the 125 not commenting, they might not know what a fine knife looks like, so I feel like I am far superior as a Critic than the others who do not know one when they see it. I feel that it is to nice for reenactors use because those knives look worn out from the get go. But you could be proud to pull it out anywhere you would want to. I also think alot of the antler handle knives need to be more refined and polished like your blade. And all remember the Great Pinyones opinion is unquestionable . TGP

Offline Brian Jordan

• Pennsylvania
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 03:38:23 AM »
Most of the knives I have made in the past (not that I have been doing this forever, I made my first knife in March of last year) have had an aged look to them because that is what seems to be popular for the folks involved in this great hobby/addiction of flintlocks & reenacting, and such. However, I doubt that in the time period we are trying to recreate a person would buy, or make a knife that looked old, that came from daily use.

This knife in particular is for a more modern crowd as far as I know. I have never made a knife for any type of "live" auction before, so this will be a learning experience for me. The man I know running the banquet seemed to think one of my knives would raise some $$ for the organization, and let me take what path I wanted as far as design & finish. I personally like the aged look better, but my thoughts were some people may wonder what was wrong with the blade if I aged it.

Anyways here is an example of another knife I recently finished.

And this would be my third knife I made. this one is on my shooting pouch.
Elizabeth, PA

Let's Go Brandon!

PINYONE

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 04:47:51 AM »
Man those are really nice- they just look lethal, I would imagine sharp as you can get- for someone who has been making for a short time period you are  on the right track. The lines on those knives are just fine- keep up the good work, and always post your photos, be proud, they are American made- TGP

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 05:15:29 AM »
Both knives are very nice.  I especially like the file work on the first one.  It should bring a nice price.   Nice work
Ken
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 05:16:13 AM by Ken Guy »
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Tony Clark

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2009, 05:37:22 PM »
I also like your auction knife. The blade shape looks like it would make an all around handy kind of knife. I'd bet that your having fun making them to. Nice of you to help out your local PF chapter. Regards, TC

angus

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2009, 06:29:02 PM »
Boys, there's craftsmanship. Looks like your time well spent and love the precise filing detail. That should work for an economic stimulus for your banquet.

Offline Brian Jordan

• Pennsylvania
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2009, 01:19:05 AM »
Thanks for the kind replys everyone!!
Elizabeth, PA

Let's Go Brandon!

Offline Brian Jordan

• Pennsylvania
Re: Knife for a banquet auction (new pics added 3/6)
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2009, 08:22:36 PM »
added a few pictures to my first post of the display stand, and the laser etching.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 12:43:42 AM by melsdad »
Elizabeth, PA

Let's Go Brandon!

Offline Scott Bumpus

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2009, 11:17:56 PM »
Hey I looked at the knife several times, sorry for being too lazy to comment.  Very nice work!  My favorite is the third one you showed.
YOU CAN ONLY BE LOST IF YOU GIVE A @!*% WHERE THE $#*! YOU ARE!!

Leatherbelly

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2009, 11:25:12 PM »
  Yes,they're all nice but I like the  Curly maple handled one that looks like a carving knife,the second one. Is it for sale?

nthe10ring

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2009, 12:24:26 AM »
Nice work, especially fond of the copper on the last one.

Jerry

Offline Brian Jordan

• Pennsylvania
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2009, 12:42:54 AM »
  Yes,they're all nice but I like the  Curly maple handled one that looks like a carving knife,the second one. Is it for sale?

No sorry it is not for sale. That knife was made for another auction on the TMA forums.

Thanks for the comments
Elizabeth, PA

Let's Go Brandon!

Offline dogcreek

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2009, 07:19:03 PM »
All the knives are great, especially the PF knife. I especially liked the filework on the latter. Can I ask who did the laser etching? Just wondering because I'm wanting to laser etch one of my guns.

Offline Brian Jordan

• Pennsylvania
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2009, 12:58:25 AM »
All the knives are great, especially the PF knife. I especially liked the filework on the latter. Can I ask who did the laser etching? Just wondering because I'm wanting to laser etch one of my guns.

I did the etching myself at work.
Elizabeth, PA

Let's Go Brandon!