Author Topic: ALR Museum Gunsmith Simon Lauck Winchester, VA  (Read 5975 times)

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
ALR Museum Gunsmith Simon Lauck Winchester, VA
« on: February 02, 2009, 06:57:50 PM »
Lauck : a most prominent and skilled Virginia gunsmithing family is represented by this new addition to the Museum.
"Reply" here with any facts or comments that you wish to contribute about this gunsmith.

Tony Clark

Re: ALR Museum Gunsmith Simon Lauck Winchester, VA
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 06:29:08 PM »
I had been looking at this piece ( I bet there is some really great incised carving behind that cheekpiece) seems like I recall that he apprenticed with Haymaker in VA., not John Philip Beck. Could someone clarify this point for me? Thanks & regards, TC

Tony Clark

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 01:56:45 AM »
This is really a fine gun, but I still don't see the Lancaster influence that someone else commented they had. And I was still wondering who had the idea that he may have studied or worked with John Philip Beck? I can't make out the carving to well on the photos but it all looks like some of his other fine work most of which is very similar to Haymakers, and is who I understand he was trained by and worked with. Just trying to learn something here... this is such a fine gun. Regards, TC

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 06:12:33 PM »
I believe you are correct in that he either started, or finished, his apprenticeship in Virginia.  But - (and I hope I have this right -  if not, someone else correct me) - I believe as a teenager Simon Lauck is known to have marched north on the ill-fated Quebec campaign and there is some documentation, or at least strong evidence, that either made his way back (or stopped) in Pennsylvania, and ended up working in Beck's shop for about 2 (?) years, before returning to Virginia.

Anyway, there is a fine signed Simon lauck rifle that looks to be about the earliest known piece surviving by him - looks 1780-85 ish, with a Lancaster daisy patchbox and the rest of the gun is basically a JP Beck gun - mounts, architecture, etc.  It is shown in one of Whisker's books.The carving is nice but very simple, perhaps reflecting his youth and inexperience at the time.

As for the carving, one of the most common features he used was the back to back C scrolls with the small "petal" like leaves around the forward edge.  This became pretty ubiquitous throughout the Valley and was carried into nearby areas, and also occasionally crops up on Lancaster PA pieces - the Peter Brong Rifle shown in Kaufmann is a variation.  Lauck's architecture and mounts - particulary sideplates - are similar to some Lancaster guns from the same period.

When you look at Valley guns from the late 1700s you see a lot of similarities to Lancaster and York work - the Valley was the great thoroughfare to points south and west and ideas and styles got carried far up and down that route, southward to the Carolinas and over west into Tennessee and Kentucky.

Not sure if that helps, but hope it does!

Guy
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 06:26:47 PM by Guy Montfort »

Tony Clark

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 09:25:53 PM »
So he may have went to Quebec with Arnold? Hmmmm, that is interesting. Thanks for the information that is helpful. Sometime a while back I got to see some unpublished photos of Haymakers work( an extremely fine gun!) and whenever I see a Lauck rifle such as the one pictured, which I have seen several, I can't help but notice the direct & specific influence which he must have obtained from his training or work with him. The lancaster influence, yes, but more indirectly I would have to say. Thanks & regards, TC

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 10:35:14 PM »
Tony - for some reason I recall that Simon and a brother went along, but Simon might have not gone all the way to Quebec - I think he came down with an illness (?) along the way and that is how he ended up staying in Pennsylvania.  I think he was only 15 at the time.

I think the signed Simon Lauck piece with the Beck-like features in shown in Whisker's Gunsmiths of Virginia".  I'll try to look it up tonight.

Guy

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 10:59:07 PM »
As I remember it Simon started to Boston with the Virginia riflemen (Morgan's unit?) but did not make the march. He stopped in PA and spent some time there. There were some family connections in that area and the VA portion of the Lauck clan had, according to their web published family history, only recently moved down to VA when the war started.

German families in the Valley and along The Great Wagon Road up into PA were often connected and are known to have stayed in close touch. State/colonial lines really didn't mean much when compared to rivers, roads, and mountains.

Gary
"If you accept your thoughts as facts, then you will no longer be looking for new information, because you assume that you have all the answers."
http://flintriflesmith.com

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 11:07:14 PM »
Thanks Gary - that is right - I believe it was Boston, not Quebec, that he started out towards.

The "Beck-Lauck" rifle shown in Whisker is a nice piece - wish there were better photos of it somewhere - it really has superb lines.

(Note - checked Whisker's "Gunsmiths of Virginia" last night - he says there was a Simon Lauck, gunsmith, taxed in Lebanon Township (then) Lanacaster County, 1785.  Which looks within the timeframe of the "Beck-Lauck" rifle shown in the same book.)

Guy
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 04:18:29 PM by Guy Montfort »

richardn

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2009, 12:53:50 AM »
John P. Beck, gunsmith in Lebanon Township, Dauphin County married Anna Maria Lauck sister of Simon and Peter Lauck (KRA Bulletin, Fall 1981).

Richard Nicholas

« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 04:02:55 AM by richardn »