Author Topic: Wedge keys  (Read 3014 times)

Offline T*O*F

Wedge keys
« on: November 26, 2014, 01:35:46 AM »
Is it just me or do others have this problem.  If you pin the wedge keys into the stock, the slots are always too short to clear the underlug so you can remove the barrel.  Then you gotta fiddle around trying to lengthen it.  I suppose I should buy a slotting file instead of needle files and a jeweler's saw.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
Re: Wedge keys
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 01:57:29 AM »
Hi Dave,
Always with store-bought keys.  The slots are never long enough.  A drill, jeweler's saw, and flat needle file will solve the problem. 

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 03:41:39 AM »
On many store bought keys, you can slip a hack saw blade through the existing slot, and increase the slot's length.  I have a selection of metal cutting saw blades that I use for this purpose.  You still have to clean up the slot with needle files and abrasive.  I pin through the top of the 45 deg. angled flat right next to the vertical.  You have to be careful to only go just through the slot and minimally into the wood beneath, as the stock curves away and it's easy to pass the drill bit right through...as me how I know this.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 04:02:30 AM »
The last gun I did, I lengthened the slot.  On the one previous to that, I was tired of all the fooling around so I inlet a short piece of drill rod vertically underneath the escutcheon and didn't have to mess with the slot at all.  The escutcheon captured the pin.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 09:43:30 AM »
Dave, I have done it both ways, but no matter what I always seem to have to cut the slot longer.

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 10:30:04 PM »
Better too short than too long.