Author Topic: Don Getz(Service information added)  (Read 39819 times)

Offline JTR

• member 2
Re: Don Getz
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2014, 07:40:16 PM »
That's sad news today. I only met him a few times at the KRA meetings, but he was always a pleasure to talk to, and one of the true modern pioneers of this sport.
My condolences to his family,
John
John Robbins

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2014, 08:23:26 PM »
Wow...what a empty hole he leaves in our community!  When I came to Pennsylvania in '07 and '09, it was Don Getz who sat down beside me at the pub when we went for dinner, and made me feel so welcome and included there.  He gave our little group of Canucks a personal tour of the shop and made arrangements that made us so comfortable at Dixon's.
May I add my condolences to Gail and John, and to all his close friends.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Paul E. Wog

« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2014, 08:25:39 PM »
 :( My most sincere condolences to the entire Getz family.
  I chatted with Don a few times at Dixon's, he will be greatly missed by family and friends...and, by the greater muzzloading community.  
  When I first began to delve into this sport as a lad, all I really wanted was a Getz barrel for a build...in the words of Jerimiah Johnson, " ...you couldn't go no better. "  
  RIP. :(
                        Shreck

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2014, 08:37:09 PM »
Realy a sad day for many. I have several of Don and John's barrels and will forever remember him when I use them. There is a hole in our lives that wont be able to be filled. Yes he was a true pioner for our kind of people every where.

Offline KLMoors

« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2014, 08:42:21 PM »
Very sad news indeed.  Rest in peace Don.

jamesthomas

« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2014, 08:49:12 PM »
 Condolences to the family and to all his close friends, If your able, ya'll folks with Getz barrels take them out and shoot them a few times in his honor today. I wish I had one to put in a barn Gun, about .45 caliber.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 03:58:02 AM by james e »

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2014, 08:55:56 PM »
This is sad news! I left early this AM before Mitch posted this and just now read about Don's death. I have only known Don for maybe 10 years but he was always such a great guy to be around, always upbeat and cheerful.

I will miss Don and so will his family, I will keep them in my prayers in the coming days. May God's peace be with all that mourn his death.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2014, 08:57:45 PM »
John, you and your family are in our prayers.

Offline wpalongrifle

• gunmaker/hornsmith
    • mkarkalla.blogspot.com
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2014, 08:59:41 PM »
RIP Mr. Getz, Will miss you!!! the "Longrifle Culture" has lost another great asset. Enjoy Heaven.
mike karkalla
F&AM Chartiers Valley#725
North American Order of the Beaver
mkarkalla.blogspot.com

Offline Telgan

« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2014, 09:02:53 PM »
Very sad news. I am gonna miss him. My sincerest condolences to John and family. I hope I see Don on the other side.- and that he is still building his barn guns there. I might need one.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 11:58:58 PM by TELGAN »

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2014, 09:11:38 PM »
Like all the rest I'm quite saddened to hear this news.
My sincere condolences to John and all of Don's family.
They shall be in my prayers.

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2014, 09:19:14 PM »
I am speechless.  Totally speechless.  Prayers and condolences for the family and the muzzleloading community.  I will truly miss his and Gail's company, companionship and stories I have come accustom to during my yearly trip to attend the 18th Century Artisans show.  Lewisburg will not be the same.
David
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 01:37:27 AM by David Rase »

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2014, 09:46:42 PM »
 This will be a sad day for me. Just a few days ago Don and I had a short discussion on reaming gun barrels via email. He was always friendly to all as far as I know and was a treasure of information that could be relied on to be accurate. I had no idea that he was so bad off.  He was a pioneer in our times. God bless his family and I wish the best to John.

Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

dannylj

« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2014, 10:18:44 PM »
Thoughts and prayers for the family. He will be greatly missed.

CoSnipe

« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2014, 10:30:31 PM »
My condolences to his family

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2014, 11:11:08 PM »
Wow. My heart hurts. Don was the quintessential longrifle artisan, teacher and kind friend. He was always helpful and told it like he saw it in an effort to be helpful to all of us. He has meant a great deal to the longrifle culture and to all of us here on ALR. He will be sorely missed.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 12:08:55 AM by Dr. Tim-Boone »
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2014, 11:52:02 PM »
I'm devastated, Don and I go back a long time. We used to share a booth at F-ship the last few years we went there. We talked mostly about chickens in those days, his father raised and showed chickens. I went out and visited him for a few days on a chicken buying trip to NY a few years ago. What a great host and hostess he and his wife Gail were, Don hauled me all over showing me the local sights, even stoped and bothered A Martin for a while. Time goes by so fast, I already miss the 'ol Duffer. :'(

Fort Frederick, late 90's
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline iloco

• Old Timer, Chilhowie, Va.
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2014, 12:09:33 AM »
I never knew Don but My condolences to his family.
iloco

tuffy

« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2014, 12:10:11 AM »
Rest in peace, Don Getz. My condolences to Gail, John and the entire family.

CW

fastfrankie

« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2014, 12:17:29 AM »
RIP Don

Offline Collector

« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2014, 01:03:17 AM »
Wow. My heart hurts. Don was the quintessential longrifle artisan, teacher and kind friend. He was always helpful and told it like he saw it in an effort to be helpful to all of us. He has meant a great deal to the longrifle culture and to all of us here on ALR. He will be sorely missed.

Tim, What a succinct expression of the loss and remembrance that we all feel towards Don.  

My sincere condolences to John and the Getz family and my prayers that God's peace and His strength attend them, in the days to follow.

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2014, 01:31:25 AM »
Don came out to the Western National with Jim Chambers about the first year the event was held.  I went there out of curiosity and Don and Jim got me started in muzzleloading with an explanation of their combined product and assurances they would be there to help with guidance if I ran into trouble with it.  Then through the years I have always benefited by Don's contributions on the websites.  I will certainly miss his input.  Somewhere along the years we need to start a muzzleloading Hall of Fame (maybe there is one and I just don't know it) and Don among a few others should be enrolled.  I pray the Getz family finds peace in the Lord's promise and Don will be in the loving care of Jesus forever.

Offline flehto

« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2014, 01:37:32 AM »
What can one say. Never met Don but his terse comments were always right on and insightful. He'll be missed a lot.......Fred

Offline Algae

« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2014, 01:51:25 AM »
Met and briefly chatted with Don at Dixon's this year, always seemed to be smiling!
Prayers and condolences to the family and friends.
Al J.

Meteorman

« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2014, 02:13:00 AM »
My sympathy to the family.
Always looked forward to seeing Don's set-up as my first stop at Lewisburg.
/mike