Author Topic: New Hunting Pouch  (Read 7159 times)

Dancy

New Hunting Pouch
« on: February 17, 2009, 12:37:57 AM »
Here is a new hunting pouch I just finished, do you think it is aged too much or just right or not enough. It actually looks a little more worn in the photos than in real life. All feed back welcome, good or bad.

James

Offline G. Elsenbeck

Re: New Hunting Pouch
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 12:40:55 AM »
It definitely looks older than dirt!  Nice job James. 
Gary
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

lew wetzel

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 12:42:33 AM »
looks good,definetly looks old and worn,like it spent the summer hanging in a tree or in the desert...

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 07:12:30 PM »
Nice job.  Did you distress the leather like that or did you find a piece of leather in that shape and make the bag out of it?  If you did it - how?

I can relate to it.  Old, tired, worn out ..........  :D
"This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation"

Dancy

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 08:11:14 PM »
I made the pouch from new veg. tanned leather. After completing the bag, I got all the oils out of it, soaked it in walnut hull stain for a week, dried it out real good and stressed it by bending and twisting which cracked the surface. Next I applied some Neats Foot oil to preserve and soften the leather back up and finished the job by burying it in leaves and dirt to get the grimy look and scuffed it on concrete and with sand paper to get the worn look. You can get the oils out of the leather by using alcohol or lye (careful with the lye!). I used the methods described in Mr. T. C. Albert's book "Recreating the 18th Century Hunting Pouch" and recommend it highly, being some what new at leather work, his book was a great help!

James

Jefferson58

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 11:02:03 PM »
That looks really nice James. I particularly like the edge/binding treatment and the aging.

Great job.

Jeff

David G

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 01:53:45 PM »
I like it, but I'm one that that perfers the old tattered look which you really pulled off. Keep em' coming as you have and eye for it. ;)

omark

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 06:22:26 AM »
i would like to see it a bit less cracked, etc. just my humble opinion. ;D

Offline Dale Halterman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2009, 07:16:39 PM »
Not to be a downer here, but for a bag as old as the cracking indicates, I would expect to see really significant wear on the back of the bag where it rubbed against the shooter's body. I have an original bag with leather in better shape than that, yet the back is completely worn through.

Dale H

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2009, 02:54:36 AM »
James...that bag looks great! Very nice job with design, construction, and the antiquing.
TCA
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 02:56:33 AM by T.C.Albert »
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com

Dancy

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2009, 06:06:05 AM »
Thank you all for the comments and honest feed back, that's what I like about this site. Gives me some things to consider when making my next one.

Sincerely,

James

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2009, 06:24:34 AM »
Hi James, It depends on what look you are after.  I like a worn look and that looks worn and old.  I do agree with Dale on the back needing to be worn more than it is for the amount of cracking.  That wear is easy enough to add if you wanted. 
Great job!

ken
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 06:26:12 AM by Ken Guy »
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2009, 08:03:21 AM »
Love the color, style and construction technique, but I am one of those that thinks wear should be gotten honestly. Very interesting bag.
Psalms 144