Author Topic: Still cutting patches.  (Read 5621 times)

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
Still cutting patches.
« on: December 01, 2014, 07:47:10 PM »
I have a nos Large .54 that just wont quit cutting patches after about 200 rounds. Ive had to go to Belgian linen canvas to survive a trip down the bore. Denim works but is a fight. Crown looks good. Scrubbed with 3 M pads 2 or 3 times. Should i try a recrown? Cant do a lead lap where im living. Ive heard of using an oversized ball for lapping, but have never tried it. What do you guys think? Ive had a lot of Large barrels, but this one is tough.
Roger B
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Offline moleeyes36

Re: Still cutting patches.
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 09:51:45 PM »
You could always try fire-lapping with some medium to fine lapping compound or even some water based valve grounding compound.  A lot of people use that method including modern bench rest shooters.

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline mark esterly

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 01:13:51 AM »
I would short start a ball an inch into the barrel with your patch material and then pull it back out to see if it is being cut starting it or farther down. if it's being cut on starting the solution may be a smaller ball.
living in the hope of HIS coming.......

Offline SCLoyalist

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 02:15:42 AM »
A variation of what Mark E suggested:  Load normally, and use a CO2 discharger to blow the load out and check for patch damage.   Any cuts or tears would be attributable to mechanical cutting and not hot gasses.

Or, load and fire with about 75 gr by volume of corn meal between powder and patched ball and see what recovered patches look like.  The cornmeal will act like a firewall and preserve the patching from the effects of the powder ignition.

I've got a Large barrel that eats patches.   I tried multiple oil lubes and patch material, finally discovered that the patches survived with cornmeal filler,  and also that one thickness of ticking with water/spit lube would work (but not the same ticking with oil).   I suspect that 30 years or so ago a previous owner left the gun loaded and a rough area in the barrel developed back down near the breech, but it would take one of those fiber optic inspection scopes to prove it.    Good luck with yours.   SCL

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 02:53:41 AM »
I agree with using filler to further define the issue, but would hate to load that way other than trials.

Didja DarylS the crown?   (that's the 320/thumb tango (320TT).  ;)
Hold to the Wind

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 01:37:38 AM »
I hadn't thought about doing a CO2 load, but the patches generally survive with distinct cuts from the lands and then some gas blow by.  I will likely smooth the crown a bit  if Daryl S. will send me his thumb.  From what I've seen of his incredible gun building, my guess is that rubbing the crown with his thumb is all it takes.  I think the 320 grit is just superstition.  :D
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2014, 09:59:40 PM »
Ha- Roger. Wet or dry works too.
As far as lapping, goes, a VERY tight patch with JB or AutoSol or Flitz will polish the corners of the lands inside if that is where the problem is. Also, 4 ought wool will do the same thing without damaging the bore. The crown is quite important for loading snug combinations was it allows the ball and patch to form into the rifling without cutting the patch.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 10:02:06 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Vomitus

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2014, 08:48:43 PM »
   It's easy if you have Bavarian Smokey sized fingers, eh Daryls?  ;D :-*

Offline Frizzen

• Phil Piburn
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2014, 09:23:05 PM »
This is a 32 and I use a ball which is about .002-.003 over bore size with .010 patch with no
patch cutting.

The Pistol Shooter

Vomitus

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2014, 11:40:11 PM »
Looks like a Hugh Toenjes barrel, Phil.

Offline Frizzen

• Phil Piburn
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2014, 08:03:52 AM »
No, it's a Ed Rayl.     Front and rear look

« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 08:06:29 AM by Frizzen »
The Pistol Shooter

hammer

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2014, 10:24:11 AM »
Could look to the lube.   The cutting and blow-by just might be related to a 'dry' patch.    Especially after a few shots have fouled the bore.   Might like to try Neatsfoot Oil or similar and make the patch quite wet.   Most will be squeezed out when loading and will soften the fouling.   Not spit, that will just evaporate in a warm barrel.

Good luck.

jamesthomas

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2014, 04:42:34 PM »
I have a nos Large .54 that just wont quit cutting patches after about 200 rounds. Ive had to go to Belgian linen canvas to survive a trip down the bore. Denim works but is a fight. Crown looks good. Scrubbed with 3 M pads 2 or 3 times. Should i try a recrown? Cant do a lead lap where im living. Ive heard of using an oversized ball for lapping, but have never tried it. What do you guys think? Ive had a lot of Large barrels, but this one is tough.
Roger B

Well, what's the ball size and patch thickness? you didn't say  ???.