Author Topic: How to cut patches?  (Read 10590 times)

Offline Jerry V Lape

How to cut patches?
« on: December 02, 2014, 04:11:49 PM »
Getting tired of cutting patches at the muzzle and have been using scissors to make them one at a time.  How are others cutting patches in a more efficient and tidier manner? 

docone

Re: How to cut patches?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 04:21:32 PM »
I cut 1" squares. Lube them and use them at the site. I just put them in my bag and head out.

Offline Standing Bear

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 04:43:18 PM »
I still prefer to cut at the muzzle.  But to answer your question, when cutting flannel for cleaning patches I have used an old fashioned paper cutter the kind you saw in school 50 years ago a board with a 2' long cutter and handle.  Play with it a little and you can cut maybe 4 layers at once.
TC
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 04:47:02 PM »
For round ball shooting patches:
I bought a piece of steel pipe about 2" long, with an inside diameter the same as the patch I wanted.  I filed the outside circumference on one end of the pipe to form a sharp edge.  That's my cutter.

I purchase pillow ticking from the local Piece Goods store.  I have my wife wash it (sizing in unwashed fabric tastes terrible), then iron it flat and fold it as many times as practical.

Then I use my bench vice to push the cutter thru the many layers of the folded ticking.  I use a small piece of pine or plywood as a backer under the ticking to protect the edge of the cutter from the vice jaws.  Cuts 18 to 20 or so, at a time.

For cleaning patches:
I buy heavy muslin, cotton twill, etc. by the yard at Piece Goods.  Muslin rips easily in one direction.  Rip the width you want.  Fold the resulting stip in half, cut the fold with scissors. Fold again, cut the fold, Repeat until you have a punch of roughly square patches

-Ron
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 04:51:37 PM by Ky-Flinter »
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

fastfrankie

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 05:29:00 PM »
  To cut my patches I "borrow" my wife's rotary cutter and one of her cutting rulers that she uses for cutting quilting pieces. That cutter is sharp( don't ask how I know) and it will cut through several layers of whatever fabric one is using like it was buttah and will also cut flesh just as easily.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 05:45:22 PM »
 I cut patches with a proper sized, re-worked, worn out, hole saw. I  removed the center drill bit, ground the teeth off, and then sharpened the edge. I then chuck it up in the drill press ( or in an electric drill), and fold my patch material, so I can cut several patches in a single pass. I've found nothing that works better, or faster. I used to sell pre-cut patches I made using this method.

Hungry Horse

Offline Kermit

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 07:33:53 PM »
HH, I learned that hole-saw method about 35 years ago from one of my "mentors." He'd rough grind the teeth off of a cheap hole saw and then sharpen it with a file and then a stone with it spinning slowly in the drill press--carefully. Then use it in the drill press (turned off) with a soft pine backer. It'll cut through a surprising stack of fabric. Getting dull? Just sharpen and keep going.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2014, 08:41:52 PM »
I make my pre-cut patches using a bearing race of the appropriate inside diameter, and a 1 1/2" ball bearing.  I usually only cut one layer of cloth at a time, using an old claw hammer with a shortened handle.  One hit cuts a perfectly round patch, move the material along and strike again.  It goes very quickly, and you can make several hundred in a half hour.  Cutting one at a time wastes the least amount of material.  I store patches in a zip-lock bag marked with the coinciding calibre.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline B.Habermehl

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2014, 12:08:25 AM »
Just can't beat the hole saw method. Grind off teeth, grind to sharp edge, while spinning in drill press, and deburr with sandpaper carefully. Stone, and go to town cutting patches. I use this tool with the drill press running at a reasonable speed with a pine board table. I generally buzz through 4 to 6 layers of cloth at a time. In a session I have been known to make a thousand or so. I precut strips of material with a paper cutting guillotine. And stack them before going to the drill press. BJH
BJH

Offline Hank*in*WV

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2014, 01:53:26 AM »
Same as fastfrankie. I can make a thousand in not much time at all.
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

yardhunter

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2014, 08:32:54 AM »
I use a exacto knife that used used in scrapbooking & a  yardstick. Mark it & run the blade down the yardstick for strips. Use the scissors on 3-4 layers at a time. I get 100's of them in no time………….see ya yard hunter
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 08:34:08 AM by yardhunter »

Offline Kermit

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2014, 07:31:06 PM »
I make my pre-cut patches using a bearing race of the appropriate inside diameter, and a 1 1/2" ball bearing.  I usually only cut one layer of cloth at a time, using an old claw hammer with a shortened handle.  One hit cuts a perfectly round patch, move the material along and strike again.  It goes very quickly, and you can make several hundred in a half hour.  Cutting one at a time wastes the least amount of material.  I store patches in a zip-lock bag marked with the coinciding calibre.

Taylor, got any photos? My old grey matter is struggling to visualize... ??? :'( ???
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline Daryl

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2014, 08:16:27 PM »
Like Taylor, I also use a bearing race and large ball. Several of us up here make patches this way. Another method is with an Arch Punch as shown. The very best backer for these has proven to be a square of UHMW (HDPE in the USA) that is about 1 1/2" to 2" thick. It will last almost indefinitely and can be available at a specialty plastics shop from their 'junk' bin. I got Taylor and I a 2" thick sheet UHMW for $10.00 each. They are about 8" square.
UHMW - Ultra High Molecular Weight (poly)
HDPE- High Density Polyethylene

UHMW is used for many different tasks - in sheets of white material of different thickenesses, it is used in butcher shops as cutting tables - or for cutting boards for home use. It is also used as chain rail floors in lumber mills as it is slippery, more so with any moisture from the timber being cur and carried on chains.
It can also be used on river -boat trailers decks to expedite the launching of the boat. 2 skids of this greatly improves boat launching.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 08:21:14 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2014, 10:14:47 PM »

Taylor, got any photos? My old grey matter is struggling to visualize... ??? :'( ???

Taylor and Kermit,
It's safer to use a lead or a dead blow hammer on these harder than glass ball bearings.

Bob Roller

Offline Daryl

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2014, 10:32:42 PM »
Safety is always so consideration, Bob.  A lead hammer is a good suggestion. 

4 or 5 (maybe more now) of us up here have been Cutting patches this way since the 70's - never had had a ball break, or splinter. Perhaps this is due to not taking a particularly hard blow to cut them in the bearing race. I grind the bearing race's cutting edge on the bench grinder to sharpen that rounded edge. Some bearings are not as 'dull' as others.
With the arch punches,  you can cut many thicknesses at the same time.

Now, I have had shards fly off an Arch Punch's end. Always wear safety glasses - always!
Daryl

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2014, 11:37:59 PM »
Arch punches are available from Organ Supply Industries,Erie,Pa.Look up their website for more info.You will need to use a deadblow hammer and a backer board.  Dave

Offline mark esterly

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2014, 01:03:03 AM »
prefer cut at the muzzle but i have used an old fashion paper cutter which gets the job done in short order
living in the hope of HIS coming.......

Offline Daryl

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2014, 03:51:43 AM »
Arch punches are available from Organ Supply Industries,Erie,Pa.Look up their website for more info.You will need to use a deadblow hammer and a backer board.  Dave

As noted, the UHMW or HDPE (US Designation) works very well with arch punches.
Daryl

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2014, 09:43:33 PM »

Taylor and Kermit,
It's safer to use a lead or a dead blow hammer on these harder than glass ball bearings.

Bob Roller

AHAH!  now i have one use for the piles and piles of endcuts mild steel various shapes and diameters (looking for more) that i've been hoarding from work.

to wit: a mild steel specialty hammer.  a 12L14 head (of 3/4 round bar stock) with 1018 shaft. (drill/insert/tack).  More durable and less scrap value than lead/brass/copper but not hard/dangerous as hardened high-carbon alloys.  Engravable too!

I do have a 2# copper hammer, but it was personally imported from afar.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 09:46:02 PM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2014, 03:42:54 AM »

Wade,didja git thet hammer frum a FAR man?hahaha.know a joke or 2 about far-mens.Later,y'all   Dave :D

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2014, 07:11:48 AM »

Wade,didja git thet hammer frum a FAR man?hahaha.know a joke or 2 about far-mens.Later,y'all   Dave :D

well no, but you can has your fun.  ;D

'twas Ace Hardware, Indonesia.  It'll (the copperer hammerer) make its way into some "process" reports this Winter if all goes as planned.  ;)
---
Oh and i made a soft-steel hammer already.  12L14/1018 drill, peen, done.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 07:33:49 AM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Vomitus

« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2014, 11:49:47 PM »
   I learned for Daryls and Taylor. ;D

Offline Daryl

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2014, 01:02:48 AM »
Here, the use of arch punches or bearing race and bearings for their patch cutting is simply SOP.
Daryl