Author Topic: Lock welding question  (Read 3864 times)

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
Lock welding question
« on: February 17, 2009, 06:01:32 PM »
I would like to modify the cock on a L&R, Manton & Ashmore lock to more closely approximate a double throated lock in the "Mortimer" book, by welding (gas, because thats what I have) in a piece and filing to shape. I don't have any scraps from old locks to experiment with and I am concerned that, being a casting, it might cave in or fall away (my terms,?) when it begins to puddle. I have never tried this before with a lock casting, but attempting to weld castings of a similar nature I have had this "falling away" occur. A better, more experienced gas welder probably could have made it work, I could not. I hope I explained this clear enough, any thoughts would be appreciated.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Longknife

Re: Lock welding question
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 06:53:14 PM »
I recently mig welded an L&R cast lock plate and had no problems....I don't think there would be a problem....Ed
Ed Hamberg

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 06:53:50 PM »
I have welded modern castings with oxy-act, with no burning or falling apart of the original casting. Original casehardened locks sometimes spark and fizzle, fall apart, crack, etc. They can be really hard to weld.

I think TIG would be the way to go with this kind of project. I am not a skilled enough welder with gas to know I have a good weld. If you are a good gas welder, you should do OK.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 07:16:24 PM »
Maybe check first to be sure you can get another cock for the L&R IF you have a problem with this one - then go for it.  In a worst case scenario you will only be out the cost of the replacement cock.
"This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation"

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 07:18:31 PM »
That's a real good suggestion, Brian.

After welding, possibly the cock will have to be fit over the tumbler shank again.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 09:15:42 PM »
Thanks fellows! Brian, yeah, the first thing I checked was the price of the replacement part, just in case. For the amount of time I already have in this, just staring and thinking, I probably could have hired a certified welder at NASA, hah! Acer, an oxy-act is what I have, so thats what I'll be using, would love to have a TIG, but for right now....... To quote my father, "just do the best you can with what you got", of course seeing how he was on a first name basis with our creator, the original quote would have been a little more....flowery(?). I'm thinking a 00 tip should work. Weather I am good enough, I shall see. Thanks again.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 01:51:14 AM »
You can do the job with acetylene if your good with it.  Don't get to lean on the flame. Keep all the parts real kleen. For 25 years all I had was a torch. If I had to do it over I would buy a tig welder on terms.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 04:02:54 AM »
Thanks Jerry, every little bit helps.
Robby
molon labe

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 04:54:50 AM »
Listen to Jerry. He DOES know of what he speaks.  Technically - you cannot get better advice, so do what he tells you to do.  And as I said, if you can get a replacement part - what the hey - go for it!  In a worst case scenario you are only out the part of a replacement item!  Good luck with it - and please post pictures.
"This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation"