Author Topic: Question about linen thread doing leather work  (Read 4034 times)

Brokenhand

Question about linen thread doing leather work
« on: December 05, 2014, 07:03:34 PM »
After using artificial sinew for years, I am trying to make my leather work more authentic. I read a tutorial on hand sewing leather by Wild Rose Trading Co. and he uses natural colored, un-waxed, 5 cord linen thread. Says good linen thread comes only in natural. He dyes it with leather dye and waxes with a mixture of beeswax/pine pitch. I am wondering if most of you use this type technique, or just buy waxed thread in whatever color you need? I bought a large spool of this type of thread, but it seems like a lot of trouble.

Online Daniel

Re: Question about linen thread doing leather work
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 07:14:02 PM »
I use natural linen thread that I die with walnut hulls. I wax it myself by pulling it over a candle.
Never tried the leather dye first. At times I will dye it that way after if exposed.
Daniel     Ecc.4:12

Offline LRB

• WICK ELLERBE
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 07:19:49 PM »
  I am using a natural 6 cord linen, waxing it myself, and like it very much. However when it runs out I intend to try pre-waxed for the reason you mentioned. In most cases, I see no need to dye the thread. A good neat stitch in natural, or white, just adds to the article that is sewn. IMHO. In doing aged work, a soak in tea or coffee should do for color.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 07:21:57 PM by LRB »

Offline Chris Treichel

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2014, 09:22:59 PM »
I really like using the really thin hemp thread and waxing it with a mix of 50/50 beeswax pine tar. The hemp works much better than the linnen and puts up with moisture better as well. Doesn't seem to abrade much either. I found this stuff at a Michaels craft store.

Offline Virginiarifleman

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 05:01:31 AM »
i use natural linen thread on all my hunting Bags and other leather items. i too wax my thread with pure bees wax. has worked well for me.

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 02:09:34 AM »
Natural with wax/pine tar or rosin mix was a common era treatment of linen thread. No need to dye the thread.
Psalms 144

Oldbow

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2014, 05:16:12 PM »
"Barbours Pure Flax Sinew 6 coard";   thread w/ plain bees wax.  Twist needle to tighten thread as I stitch.