Author Topic: Oct to round barrel  (Read 5538 times)

BrianH

Oct to round barrel
« on: December 07, 2014, 07:13:38 PM »
Was wondering if there are any certain schools that used oct to round barrels and is there any lock type that's more commonly used with them I'm getting one for Xmas and might be able to wrangle some other pieces to go with it
Thanks you

Offline Bob Roller

Re: Oct to round barrel
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 07:28:14 PM »
Was wondering if there are any certain schools that used oct to round barrels and is there any lock type that's more commonly used with them I'm getting one for Xmas and might be able to wrangle some other pieces to go with it
Thanks you

Northeastern caplock target rifles were/are more commonly found with 1/3 octagon and 2/3 round barrels.I am thinking of the General Grant Rifle in the Smithsonian by Nathan Whitmore and there are other high quality Eastern rifles that had them'The locks can be back action or a bar lock Almost all of them used a bolster breech unless it was a small bore round ball hunting rifle.I once had a rifle with this barrel configuration marked L.Devendorf,Cedarville Iowa.In reality it was a Remington factory sporting rifle,round ball
and the bottom flat was marked "Remington cast steel".

Bob Roller

Offline sz

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2014, 07:31:51 PM »
At least 2 of the surviving rifles made by J.P. Beck have Oct-Round barrels in them.

BrianH

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2014, 07:37:37 PM »
A little more info for you it's a colerain oct to round 44" 36caliber and I would like use a  flint lock

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2014, 11:57:15 PM »
A good many "rifles" with octagon to round barrels look like they may have always been smoothbores.  If large bore, smooth now, single trigger, and octagon to round barrel, that fits the definition of a purpose built smooth rifle.  It's not impossible such guns were rifled originally. 
Andover, Vermont

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2014, 01:49:52 AM »
A good many "rifles" with octagon to round barrels look like they may have always been smoothbores.  If large bore, smooth now, single trigger, and octagon to round barrel, that fits the definition of a purpose built smooth rifle.  It's not impossible such guns were rifled originally. 
I was going to mention that but didn't want to get beat up for it. "Generally" , in the 18th century, an oct/rnd barrel was a smoothbore of some sort. Fowling gun, buck and ball, etc..
 As B. Roller said, in some places in the caplock era oct/rnd could be rifled.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Captchee

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2014, 02:03:58 PM »
 there is a J Baum rifle in RCA thats  O to R and of a small bore  36 or 40 if i recall . i also want to say its a smooth bore but sugested to have been a rifled bore  that was reamed out

Online Daryl

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2014, 08:10:05 PM »
Common on English ball and shot guns, i assume. This H. Wahl 11 bore is thus barreled. 1 3/8" Oct. at the breech. Actually, 8 then 16 sided

« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 08:11:19 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline mark esterly

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2014, 02:14:10 AM »
from what I noticed in RCA it seems to be more of a Germanic influence and not specific to smoothbores as the calibers range from @.43 to .66 .    other than what I see in these two volumes I don't know nuffin.
living in the hope of HIS coming.......

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2014, 07:39:18 AM »
The pea picker George Shreyer rifle is octagon to round .50 cal rifled  43 3/4"  long according to Shumway.

Offline cmac

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2014, 03:10:29 AM »
You can also see many original as well as contemporary made flinters on here if you punch in octagon to round barrel in the search bar- great resource... especially if you haven't acquired any of the great books out there yet

BrianH

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2014, 03:25:08 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions
I have some books but seem to get sidetracked as I'm looking through them
I didn't know about the search on here thank you I'll have to try it