Author Topic: L&R Bedford Flint  (Read 5751 times)

Offline flinchrocket

L&R Bedford Flint
« on: December 07, 2014, 07:45:13 PM »
Anyone ever use a L&R Bedford flintlock,I have a Bedford rifle I built back in the early 80's using the old Russ Hamm bedford flint and I'd like to replace it with something better.
                                                                                                              Thanks,Jerry

Offline Hungry Horse

Re: L&R Bedford Flint
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 08:38:56 PM »
 I,m not sure its all that much better. This is one spot that the current lock makers have really let us down. I switched my Bedford plans to a Somerset, just because the original Somerset example I liked best didn't use a traditional Bedford style rat tail lock.

Hungry Horse

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 12:34:25 AM »
I was thinking that might be the case. I didn't want to make a lock, but may have to if I can't find one.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 01:36:48 AM »
Anyone ever use a L&R Bedford flintlock,I have a Bedford rifle I built back in the early 80's using the old Russ Hamm bedford flint and I'd like to replace it with something better.
                                                                                                              Thanks,Jerry

Jerry,
I would think the L&R Bedford would HAVE to be better than the Hamm lock.
W.G.Sutter made Bedford locks and did a decent job but I haven't seen one of
his locks for nearly 50 years.

Bob Roller

Offline Hank*in*WV

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 02:04:22 AM »
I had one on my main shooter for a number of years and don't recall having any trouble with it at all. I did quite a bit of shooting in those days.
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2014, 02:14:09 AM »
If the Hamm works, keep it. The L&R isn't that much better.  I've used both. I would nor pass up a NOS Hamm Bedford.

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2014, 03:00:04 AM »
I converted the lock to percussion years ago and now want to convert back to flint. I think my best option is to get a small siler and add on to the rear of the plate. Thanks to everyone who responded ,Jerry

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2014, 05:41:15 AM »
 You can get the builders Siler with the square plate, I think. It would be easier to shape a new plate, than try to hide the patch job on the original plate, I would think.

Hungry Horse

Offline okawbow

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2014, 05:51:16 AM »
I bought the L&R Bedford lock last year, and used it to convert my BC percussion to flint. It works fine for me. The only problem I had was because I tightened the bridle screws too tight. Sparks good, and fires off fast.
As in life; it’s the journey, not the destination. How you get there matters most.

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2014, 06:19:34 AM »
You can get the builders Siler with the square plate, I think. It would be easier to shape a new plate, than try to hide the patch job on the original plate, I would think.

Hungry Horse
I was thinking after I posted that about making my own plate and use the small siler internals. The small siler lines up with my triggers when the pan is lined up with the touchhole better than the large siler one does.
                          Maybe I need to go down to friendship next spring and look at an L&R before I jump out of the skillet into the fire.

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2014, 02:06:46 PM »
       I have used several of them over the years,  One was perfect the second arrived with the bottom of the  bridal extending well below the bottom of the plate.  I sent it back and received another that was better but still needed a little filing.  The ones I used were good sparkers, and generally needed very little tuning.  I have used their Bedford percussion on my cap gun and have shot it extensively.  It has a very short throw and is exceedingly fast.  I have taken home some $$ with that lock on a Bedford 45 cal.  The lock is definitely better than the old Russ Hamm lock, which I have used as well.
Ron
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2014, 08:25:36 PM »
It is my impression that the guts including the frizzen, cock and pan, are L & R's Bailes lock.  the difference is the shape of the plate alone...but I may be mistaken?
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline t.caster

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2014, 01:01:21 AM »
Taylor, you are correct!
I built a Bedford back around 1988 with a Hamm perc. lock. I later converted it to a L&R Bedford (considerable work & careful planning)and was very happy with it. Never liked the Hamm...week springs & inconsistant percussion.
Tom C.