Author Topic: ALR Meeting at Ft. Boonesborough - Pictures  (Read 27499 times)

Offline Gary Tucker

Re: Annual ALR Meeting at Ft. Boonesborough, Ky - Date Change to Jan. 24
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2014, 09:43:55 PM »
Sorry they had to change the date.  The 24th is my anniversary so I probably can't make it.  I'm not complaing though, 39 years to a wonderful lady is nothing to complain about.  Hope you guys have a good time.  Let me know how Hall's on the River is.
Gary Tucker

Offline Pat_Cameron

« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2014, 09:56:39 PM »
I'm still in. I am looking forward to meeting some reasonably local guys.
Pat Cameron
AMERICAN LONGHUNTER
Seasoned woodsmen that depend on skill and knowledge to lead them to a successful hunt rather than the crutch of modern technology

http://www.americanlonghunter.com

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2014, 04:02:12 AM »
I'll be there! We'll have a big ol time.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline clockman

• Starting Member
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2014, 05:01:20 AM »
Ron,
Saw the date change. I'm still in.  See you there. 
Kevin

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2014, 11:52:08 PM »
Hi All,

I hope the date change is not an inconvenience and everyone can still attend.  

A couple of fellows who haven't attended our annual get-together have asked what's to be expected.  It's a little different each year, as it depends on who attends and what they bring with them, but here's my take on it.  Others are welcome to chime in.

This is a very informal affair.  I like to call it a get-together, rather than a “Meeting”.  Meeting just sounds so formal.  The attendees are mostly members here on ALR, but that’s not required.  Anyone that’s interested in long rifles and such is welcome.  There is no admission fee, but we will accept donations to the Ft. Boonesborough Foundation.

Some years ago, a couple of friends and I made the pilgrimage to Dixon’s Fair.  On the long trip home, we were talking about all we had seen and done.  And one of the highlights for each of us was the gathering each evening of like-minded fellows around the picnic table behind the motel where we stayed.  We decided we should do something similar, but closer to home, and that’s how this get-together came about.

Our gathering is just an opportunity to meet other ALR members from the area and see and discuss what they are working on, share ideas, get opinions, learn a new skill, etc.  I always ask attendees to bring something to show.  Could be a gun, horn or bag project in progress, recently completed pieces, a demonstration of a technique, tool or skill.  Items for sale or trade are welcome too.  Occasionally, members have brought antique guns, which is always a treat.  

There are usually 10 to 15 fellows that attend.  Wives and kids are welcome, but may get bored, as there's not much else to do but look at long rifles and related things.  I will be there by 9:00am and our host will probably have coffee made and a nice fire going in the fireplace by then.  Members will begin to trickle in.  Old friends are greeted and new friends are met.  Around noon, we will lock up the blockhouse and drive to an area restaurant for lunch, and afterwards return to the fort for the afternoon.

Hope you can make it.  I look forward to meeting you.

-Ron
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 01:20:42 AM by Ky-Flinter »
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Mike New

« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2014, 04:26:45 AM »
 I am going to try to make it. I'll wait until its a little closer to the 24th before I can give a yes or no. Mike New

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2014, 04:32:32 AM »
I am going to plan on it.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline Pat_Cameron

« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2014, 07:20:02 PM »

Our gathering is just an opportunity to meet other ALR members from the area and see and discuss what they are working on, share ideas, get opinions, learn a new skill, etc.  I always ask attendees to bring something to show.  Could be a gun, horn or bag project in progress, recently completed pieces, a demonstration of a technique, tool or skill.  Items for sale or trade are welcome too.  Occasionally, members have brought antique guns, which is always a treat.  

There are usually 10 to 15 fellows that attend.  Wives and kids are welcome, but may get bored, as there's not much else to do but look at long rifles and related things.  I will be there by 9:00am and our host will probably have coffee made and a nice fire going in the fireplace by then.  Members will begin to trickle in.  Old friends are greeted and new friends are met.  Around noon, we will lock up the blockhouse and drive to an area restaurant for lunch, and afterwards return to the fort for the afternoon.

Hope you can make it.  I look forward to meeting you.

-Ron

Other then shooting and skinning something, OR shooting and cooking something,
I can't think of a better way to spend a day.

Pat Cameron
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 01:20:17 AM by Ky-Flinter »
AMERICAN LONGHUNTER
Seasoned woodsmen that depend on skill and knowledge to lead them to a successful hunt rather than the crutch of modern technology

http://www.americanlonghunter.com

« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2015, 05:19:43 PM »
I scheduled myself off that weekend and will plan to be there. Hopefully I can gather up some trade stuff by then.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline Joey R

« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2015, 10:39:22 PM »
Well Ron, after last year Mike and I have decided to try this one more time ;D Count us in for the 24th and look forward to seeing friends and meeting some new ones. Joey.
Joey.....Don’t ever ever ever give up! Winston Churchill

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2015, 03:25:05 AM »
It's shaping up to be a good turn out.  Should be a good time.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Offline shifty

« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2015, 05:30:16 PM »
Can any one come to the meeting?

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2015, 04:19:19 PM »
Can any one come to the meeting?

Sure.  The attendees are mostly members here on ALR because that's how we spread the word, but anyone that's interested in building, study, collecting, etc. of long rifles and related items is welcome.  If you can, bring something you are working on, something to show, discuss, etc.  That's what makes this gathering click.

Hope to see you there.

-Ron
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 04:21:31 PM by Ky-Flinter »
Ron Winfield

Hessian

« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2015, 05:14:33 PM »
I'm going to try to make it. Jan is working out to be a busy/expensive month for me. Frau Hessian has a trip planned for us the weekend prior and you know the old saying(Happy wife, happy life!) As of now I'll go with a tenative yes but I don't know if I'll be up for another long drive. Perhaps if a couple of us get together and drive up from ETn. Most of my buddies will just be getting back from the 1812 thing in New Orleans though. We'll see . . .

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2015, 06:52:17 PM »
Yank me offa the "maybe" list.  Truck repairs set me back a bit more than expected and that was compounded by 2 weeks off work.  Gotta build up some more emergency monies before travel/play monies. 

and right now my money tree looks like I bought it from Charlie Brown.  ::)

Have a hoot and a holler.
Hold to the Wind

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2015, 06:57:08 PM »
Me too. I'll be basking in the warm Arizona sun and pitying you poor fellas freezing in some old cold fort. :)

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2015, 09:31:24 PM »
Hessian, I understand happy wife, happy life!  Hope you can make it, but understand if you don't.  Maybe you can hook up with Wade.  I think he's in Tenn somewhere.

Keb, Arizona does sound good, but we'll have a good fire in the fireplace and be warm in the Blockhouse.

If things change and you can come, then come on.  Pre-registration is not required.  I just like to have a rough idea of how many to plan for.  The more the merrier.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2015, 09:38:22 PM »
Hessian, I understand happy wife, happy life!  Hope you can make it, but understand if you don't.  Maybe you can hook up with Wade.  I think he's in Tenn somewhere.

Keb, Arizona does sound good, but we'll have a good fire in the fireplace and be warm in the Blockhouse.

If things change and you can come, then come on.  Pre-registration is not required.  I just like to have a rough idea of how many to plan for.  The more the merrier.

-Ron

I'm 50 miles East of Nashville, 100 miles West of Chattanooga.  Twenty miles either: South of I40 at Smithville or North of I24 at Manchester.

Right close to NoWhereInPartikkalar.  Shotgun County, (Cannon), Woodbury--the other one (100 miles from _the_ Woodbury of Contemporary fame and good Folks).
Hold to the Wind

Offline Mike New

« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2015, 03:11:34 PM »
I have been cordially invited to my grand daughters birthday party on the 24th. I hate to miss the get together at the fort but I would fall in favor with the females of the family if I did not go to the birthday party. I am planning on going to the CLA in Jamestown. Mike New

« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2015, 04:14:37 AM »
I assume the meeting is still on for this Saturday? Would any one be interested in some red maple blanks? I have some from a tree I had sawn 3 years ago. Most has figure, some of it has  worm holes and spalting. I could bring a few if anyone is interested. I just ran a few through the planer and some are pretty interesting.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 04:40:51 AM by Ky-Flinter »
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2015, 04:44:40 AM »
Absolutely, the meeting at Boonesborough this coming Saturday is still on.  And you are welcome to bring some wood or anything else for sale or trade.  I'm sure there will be some interest!

-Ron
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 05:44:24 AM by Ky-Flinter »
Ron Winfield

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2015, 03:45:28 AM »
I assume the meeting is still on for this Saturday? Would any one be interested in some red maple blanks? I have some from a tree I had sawn 3 years ago. Most has figure, some of it has  worm holes and spalting. I could bring a few if anyone is interested. I just ran a few through the planer and some are pretty interesting.

sounds tasty!  (but i'm still out on the trip)

Enjoy!
Hold to the Wind

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
Re: Annual ALR Meeting at Ft. Boonesborough, Ky - TOMORROW!! - Jan. 24
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2015, 10:26:49 PM »
I just spoke with the Fort manager and they are all set for our visit tomorrow.

By my last count we have 15 ALR members that are planning to attend.  Don't forget to bring your favorite rasp for our side-by-side comparison Rasp Shootout II.  Looking forward to seeing you there.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2015, 10:36:15 PM »
Hope you all have good weather and a great time tomorrow.
Wish I lived closer, would love to attend. I think we have visited the fort just about every time we attended the CLA show. (also the original fort location).

Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline bgf

« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2015, 11:12:43 PM »
Ron, I'll be there and bringing a friend with me.  I didn't even need to look at the calendar--the traditional ALR/B'boro eve snowfall has begun :).