Author Topic: English Checkering  (Read 12294 times)

Oldbow

English Checkering
« on: December 16, 2014, 05:45:48 AM »
What would be the proper spacing in the lines for this type of checkering ?

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Re: English Checkering
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 05:59:07 AM »
Hoo-boy, I don't know the answer to that. It will depend on the style of gun you're recreating, and the time period it's from. You must have good wood for checkering, especially fine checkering.

Tom
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 06:26:34 AM »
Hopefully Taylor Sapergia will chime in with some of his examples.  I think the angles of the cuts on the "quilting" styled checkering such as found on a Ferguson rifle may sometimes be different than what is used on modern guns.
Andover, Vermont

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 07:03:36 AM »
I supose some,maybe most english checkering in the 1800s was cut to more square dimonds instead of the american 3+times as long as wide style. I think most english work was cut only deep enough to shape the outside of the dimond and not deep enough to bring it up to a point. Lines per inch varied somewhat with how dense the wood was and maybe the pattern shape and size. I would think on good wood 16 to 24 lines to the inch. There are exceptions of course.

westbj2

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 01:01:49 PM »
Tom Snyder, a forum member, has done some very nice flat top English checkering for me.  Tom has studied this checkering extensively and perhaps will chime in with his thoughts.
Jim Westberg

Oldbow

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2014, 04:47:52 PM »
The gun is what I would call an American copy of an English hunting rifle, (roughly) based on Shumways vol. II #120.

Looking at the flat top type checkering...... 1/8" to 1/4 ??????

Photos.........
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 04:50:09 PM by Oldbow »

Offline mark esterly

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2014, 05:03:33 PM »
maybe this will help  Link to Checkering
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 06:58:49 PM by Chuck Burrows »
living in the hope of HIS coming.......

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2014, 05:10:25 PM »
Tom Snyder, a forum member, has done some very nice flat top English checkering for me.  Tom has studied this checkering extensively and perhaps will chime in with his thoughts.
Jim Westberg

Randy Grunkemeyer in Batesville,Indiana had two Alex Henry style sporting rifles at Friendship that he made that had nice English flat top checkering.His cotact info is <grunkrsj@frontier.com>

Bob Roller

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2014, 05:19:13 PM »
What would be the proper spacing in the lines for this type of checkering ?

It varied from pretty widely with decoration in the large "diamonds" to fine "modern" spacing. Depending on time frame, maker etc.
3/16 is a good for "wider" if you just want decoration.
This is a late Manton shotgun. Probably <1/8". I have seen some that were finer than this. This is more useful for a non-slip grip than the wider checkering.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Kermit

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2014, 06:12:22 PM »
This has
become
unreadable.
 :'(
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline J Henry

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2014, 06:25:41 PM »
 Solution to the question,,,Gunline Tools
                                           2950-0 Saturn ST
                                            Brea,Ca 92821
  Ask for their booklet that comes with their checkering set,,it is explained in there..Muzzle loaders are checkred 2x1 ,,, 1 x width and 2 x the length,, with flat topdiamonds get tge book greatt welth of Expert information in it...

Oldbow

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2014, 06:41:07 PM »
Thanks for the photo of the checkering on the Ferguson rifle, that is what I'm looking to do.
Looks like 3/16 or 1/4 in.

I found this quite easy to read and informative.

Thanks Again
          Ernie

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2014, 07:34:11 PM »
Dem Bart sells handles and cutter heads through Brownell's and others likely.  For 'modern' style chequering, the 90 degree cutters is what you want.  And if you wish to emulate English flat topped chequering, I suggest you use their 60 degree cutters.  They also sell a fine little parting tool, one is 90 deg. and the other 60 deg.  These I find are most useful for finishing up the chequering  as you come to a border, and for cutting the base lines.  Other contributors have it right:  18th and 19th C. chequering is less than 3:1, and I'd suggest 2:1 or even 2.5:1.  The diamonds do not come to a point as they do in modern American chequering, and that is where the 60 degree cutter shines.
Use magnifiers, an incandescent light bulb in a darkened room, and lots of patience.  Make a chequering cradle if it's a half stock...it'll make the job so much more enjoyable.

These are some examples of English flat topped chequering, all done with a 60 deg. cutter and Dem Bart's handles.  I like 18 and 20 lines per inch, but the Ferguson rifle is somewhere in the neighbourhood of 4 to the inch, IIRC.

I once saw a blunderbus that was chequered in the wrist, that was cut so deeply, it looked like a file.  But most effective.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 04:47:15 AM by rich pierce »
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2014, 07:57:39 PM »
       ^^^^^    Now That's nice!!   :o

John
John Robbins

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2014, 08:04:51 PM »
Taylor.
 That first photo is a nightmare for checkering. I never have seen better. Unbelievable. 
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2014, 08:07:47 PM »
Taylor.
 That first photo is a nightmare for checkering. I never have seen better. Unbelievable. 

I would be willing to bet that nothing that came from J&S Hawken in "the day"was anywhere close to the quality of this rifle.I'd call it an American style rifle like would have come out of a London shop.

Bob Roller

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2014, 08:18:36 PM »
"and lots of patience"says Taylor.I would say the patience of a cigar store Indian would be as accurate a description as I can think of.

Bob Roller

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2014, 08:35:01 PM »
Any body who ever tried to checker something like that knows it is almost impossible. If you tried it you would be in for a big surprise.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

• Member 3
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2014, 08:41:16 PM »
I appreciate the accolades my friends, but they come from a mutual admiration society.
I have a file of photos of the original Hawken pistol grip that I tried to replicate, and you are very right - the original is not chequered well.  It is acceptable, I suppose, but not 'nice'.  As much as I admire and love the work of the old masters, I cannot deliberately duplicate poor work.  Character flaw - and one reason I'll never be wealthy.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Oldbow

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2014, 01:30:07 AM »
Mr. Sapergia ; Sir and I do mean Sir.  Outstanding work.

The 4 to the in. is what I will do.   Thank you.

Offline Captchee

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2014, 04:22:20 PM »
Very Nice work Taylor.
 i would have to go out and look but  one of  the checkering sets  i have , comes with a 60 degree .. i want to say its the Dem Bart . Just don’t use the followers and you  will be left with very nice flat top checkering
 Myself I prefer to do checkering in the 12 , 16 and 18 count  .  I have however done some in the 20 and 24  but its far more time consuming and if the wood isnt very hard , its easy to make a big mess .
 I would also agree that the checkering and count will depend on the piece , time frame and person doing it .
 i have seen some  very small english that looke like it  it was cut with a small saw or file . others that had a very nice angle  while retaining the flat top .

Myself unless its requested or deemed necessary  do to thecorrectness pf the  piece itself , I prefer American checkering with  nice crisp distinct 4 angles. i simply like the way ity looks and the way it feels when the gun is in the carry .

I would also agree with the others that  a checkering bench is a must . One doesn’t need anything real fancy , just a good solid cradle  that allows for  rotation .
 dont hurry ,  it does take time

« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 04:45:57 AM by rich pierce »

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2014, 06:23:56 PM »

« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 04:45:14 AM by rich pierce »
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2014, 06:43:15 PM »
I recall reading in Monty Kennedy's book on checkering that the English style was cut using a round bottomed riffler rather than the angled cutters for American style diamonds.  I suppose you could layout the lines with a 60 degree cutter and then sink it to depth with such a riffler. The checkering I have seen on some fine English shotguns from the late 1800s and early 1900s seemed to have round bottoms in the grooves and vertical walls. 

Offline Daryl

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2014, 07:32:08 PM »

but the Ferguson rifle is somewhere in the neighbourhood of 4 to the inch, IIRC.

Taylor, you once told me the # of sterling pins in the checkering - do you remember? 320 sound familiar?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 04:43:24 AM by rich pierce »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

• Member 3
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2014, 08:43:01 PM »
Sorry, that detail is lost from memory.  But I do remember that it was a lot, and the pure silver wire was .030".
D. Taylor Sapergia