Author Topic: Making the odd size screw - HDTDT  (Read 3540 times)

Offline James Wilson Everett

Making the odd size screw - HDTDT
« on: December 17, 2014, 12:40:42 AM »
Guys,

Here is a method to make a replacement screw for a lost original that does not correspond to a modern thread.  For this tutorial we will be using an old Jos Golcher lock plate, notice three mainspring pin holes and three sear spring slots - a lot of use here.  First whittle a wood pin to twist into the screw hole, I usually leave the pin a rough octagon shape.  Twist the pin in & out a few times so that the thread outer diameter and the pitch are marked on the wood.

Then take a careful measurement of the wood "thread" diameter and pitch.  In this case a 0.150 O.D. x 36 TPI.

Here is where it get a a bit difficult for many of us.  I find a thread on a thread plate that matches the pitch TPI closely and matches or exceeds the O.D.  This is the one I used, a early 19th C thread plate marked "CB".

This is a page from my field notebook, the thread in the plate will make a 0.175 x 36 thread.  A good match for the thread TPI, just a bit too large in diameter.

I turn a pin to 0.160 diameter and thread the pin.  The early threads look a lot like lightbulb threads rather than modern UNC/UNF type threads.

Now the thread diameter is reduced using a tiny triangular file.  The file follows easily along the existing thread form to reduce the diameter while not changing the pitch.  A bit tedious, but not difficult.

Eventually, with a lot of fit - file - fit - file, the new screw will mate very well with the existing odd sized thread and there you have a replacement screw.  It measures 0.148 x 36.

Jim
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 09:43:00 PM by James Wilson Everett »

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
Re: Making the odd size screw - HDTDT
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 03:07:21 AM »
Excellent tutelage, I'm sure many will benefit.
Hold to the Wind

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 04:40:56 AM »
I wish I had one of those. I've been collecting old tools and been to many old tool sales for the last 20+ years. I don't think I've ever seen an old screwplate for sale. But, sometimes I go through these sale with blinders/ filters over my eyes. I'm looking for something specific and miss other things.

Thanks for the tip!
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline James Wilson Everett

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 04:14:06 PM »
Guys,

These tool are fairly common in both antique stores and most especially on E-Bay.  Here is one on sale now for less than $2.  Search under Collectables - Tools - Mechanics and look for thing called screw plate or thread cutter or other combinations of such words.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-die-stock-thread-cutter-tool-old-tool-by-Stubs-/311214997115?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item4875dbfe7b

Here is another photo of a different screwplate.  Go and get a few, they all seem to have different thread sizes and pitches.

Jim
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 09:44:48 PM by James Wilson Everett »