Author Topic: Question for makers of blowing horns...  (Read 3688 times)

Offline crowbarforge

Question for makers of blowing horns...
« on: December 21, 2014, 04:10:58 AM »
I am making a blowing horn for my son-in-law, a "nordic" style with his name scratched into it.  I could use some instructions (pictures would be greatly appreciated) on how  to form the mouth piece.

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
Re: Question for makers of blowing horns...
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 05:54:32 AM »
Crow, here a a couple I made some years ago. One is a blowing horn, the other for drinking,or as I use to say, Call your mates to meeting, and toast them when they arrive, Hah! Maybe they will give you some ideas.

Robby

molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 04:59:17 PM »
 Although this is for an applied mouth piece it may help:

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=17399.msg162759#msg162759

For a mouth piece that is part of the horn, I start with a 1/2" straight sided counter sink and work from there, a 1/4" hole is drilled first. Be sure and do all the drilling and inside shaping before you shape the outside, that way there is less chance of splitting.

Tim C.   

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2014, 07:12:58 PM »
For me integral mouth pieces are usually to small to work...kind of like trying to play a tiny coronet or a french horn...so I search the antique junk shops, or even ask the used instrument type shops for an old mouth piece big enough for a trombone, baritone, or even a tuba...this works really well for larger horns...also, a turned and applied tip like Tim posted on his great tutorial works really well too...
tc

« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 07:15:44 PM by T.C.Albert »
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com

Offline crowbarforge

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 12:14:08 AM »
Thanks friends....Tim, I found that thread during a search after I posted. I will follow your suggestions and see what we can come up with...

Robby....IMPRESSIVE!  Mine will be a bit more, er...primitive. Those are some fine horns and wonderful carving.