Author Topic: Original Bethlehem School Rifle - Maker??  (Read 5269 times)

Offline Hoot AL

• Hoot Al's Rifleshop
Original Bethlehem School Rifle - Maker??
« on: February 20, 2009, 09:29:46 AM »
I have a Golden Age Bethlehem rifle. Does anyone recognize the maker of this rife? Originally this was a flintlock they later converted to a mule ear.  Anyone know the maker?

http://

http://

Thanks,
Hoot AL

Offline nord

Re: Original Bethlehem School Rifle - Maker??
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 03:53:44 PM »
I'd first suggest a trip to our virtual library. I believe it might help you considerably.

Absent of a complete set of photos I'm led more to Upper Susquehanna than anywhere else. Have a look at Long, Morrison, and Schaefer. Joe Long being often noted for the "football" sideplate and Morrison being noted for his mule ear guns.

Conversion from flint is almost expected. Conversion to a mule ear is somewhat unusual and tends to bring the gun back to the Snyder/Union Co. area.

And while I'm at it... Why not submit your gun to the ALR library? We'd love to place it on exhibit.
In Memory of Lt. Catherine Hauptman Miller 6/1/21 - 10/1/00 & Capt. Raymond A. Miller 12/26/13 - 5/15/03...  They served proudly.

Offline Spotz

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 03:43:48 AM »
I would like to see pictures, but I agree with nord--this is definitely an Upper Susquehanna gun, not a product of southeastern Pennsylvania.  Are there any initials on the barrel?  I would tend to group this with Baum, but the sideplate and absence of carving throws me off a tad.  I see that the wood inletting around the rear screw seems larger than the present inlay and I query whether the side plate is a later replacement.  The initials would be very helpful, but if possible, I would like to see the rest of the gun.  Interesting rifle.

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 04:36:13 AM »
Agree with the assessment that this is an Upper Susq made rifle. Lots of candidates for having built this rifle; several come to mind: Samuel Morrison, one of the Dreisbachs, Levi Kaup, Joseph Long, one of the Baums, or an unknown maker (initials anywhere?). I am sure that I left someone out, here, in this list. But, you get the idea.
Since the stock lacks carving, I am not sure that it qualifies for 'Golden Age' status, but it is clearly a nice piece. The patch box is very fine, as is the quality of work, and the profile. 
Thank you for letting us look it over and hope that you put it into the Library.
Dick

Offline Hoot AL

• Hoot Al's Rifleshop
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 09:45:19 AM »
I thought it was related to a Joseph Long, except the patchbox was flipped and did not match up. It is too plain for a Samuel Baum.

I do appreciate the information.  I will see if I can put it into the library.  Currently I am in the process of making a duplicate for the owner since it is a family heirloom and he wants to take it hunting in Michigan.  Been in his family for many, many years.

Thanks,

Hoot Al

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 03:57:55 PM »
Don't say it's too plain for a Baum!  I have held plain Baum rfles in my own two greasy hands, although even they were marked.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Hoot AL

• Hoot Al's Rifleshop
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 08:24:38 AM »
Eric,

Please refer to my other posting titled, "Golden Age - Belthlehem School Rifle - Maker? "  I put more photos in this one and there are more discussions there, too.

Ken Guy moved this after I started this one already in the Antiques section.

Sorry,

Al

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 05:47:24 PM »
Sorry,
I did not realize there were two threads going.  I have the ability to merge them but I'm afraid it will then look like someone poured a puzzle onto the floor. 
Interesting discussion. 
Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

jwh1947

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2009, 03:52:07 AM »
This is what I call a basic upper Susquehanna school rifle.  "Golden age" is a term coined, if I am not mistaken by Joe Kindig, Jr. (The old man).  This would classify by his terms as late flint.  Looks like an overall honest gun. Not much in upper-Susquehanna region in early flint era but Injuns', traders, 'n critters.  Some would argue that little has changed.   ;D Just a joke, guys.  From that cultural wasteland on the mile-wide river,  JWHeckert