Author Topic: Original English Fowlers  (Read 15632 times)

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
Re: Original English Fowlers
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2009, 06:54:25 PM »
Keith Neal had a false breech gun in his collection that he dated to 1730-35. It is the earliest known English false breech in existance. The particular design was exactly like an earlier French double gun by Chasteu of Paris dating 1722.
Neal reported that the false breech infiltrated slowly into the English gunmaking practice, and that there are very few early examples. Most existing guns have been altered to that system at a later date.

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2009, 09:25:58 PM »
I have enclosed some images of original flintlock fowling pieces that have been converted to percussion using the drum and nipple all have the hooked breech.
I have also enclosed an image of a full stocked Fowler
Feltwad

A stand of conversion some proir to 1780

Notice the hooked breeches

A sxs flinter converted using the standard percussion breech plugs

A s/b fullstocked flinter with a hooked breech

« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 09:47:40 PM by Feltwad »

PINYONE

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2009, 09:52:00 PM »
Well this proves it- the new Fowlers are nice- but when you see the real deal, well no comparison, just really fine guns , The Great Pinyone

Daryl

« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2009, 03:12:52 AM »
This is an 11 bore (.75") H Whall ball and shot gun. There is no rear sight, but the heaviness of the gun suggests my calling it a "ball and shot" gun.  Weight is a good 10 pounds+ which is a good 1 1/2 pound heavier than most singles of this gauge.  Most of the weight, however is between the hands and shooting 100gr. 2f and a tightly patched 1 1/4oz. ball recoils hardly at all.  I used this gun for a smoothbore event - only 2 flying birds with shot, the rest with patched ball on steel gong targets. This gun took a 2nd or third - can't remember.  It's very pleasant to shoot, although the bore is a bit rough and takes a lot of cleaning.  Hooked breech, of course.