Author Topic: Pipe Hawk & Case  (Read 4988 times)

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Pipe Hawk & Case
« on: February 20, 2009, 06:17:13 PM »
 Here are a couple of pics of a pipe hawk I finished up. The head is one I got from Reaves and modified. It is really hard unlike his other castings. He told me that he used to use one of these heads for throwing. Poured pewter mouth piece, inlay and cap,  brass tacks and a horn cleanout plug.
 I thought the case would be a good way to display it. 

Tim C.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 01:13:56 AM by Tim Crosby »

lew wetzel

Re: Pipe Hawk & Case
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 06:32:47 PM »
very nice tim,i really like the pewter work....

Tony Clark

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 07:49:08 PM »
How does that work when you use a cast head, do you simply file it up the way it comes or does a person have to anneal it and then  harden/temper when your done? I like those chests you make. Where do you get those locks, are they the type that when you close the lid it automatically locks? If you lived closer to me I would give you all the pine you ever needed for chests for the rest of your life, I have piles and piles of really wide clear 5/4 white pine. Honestly, I don't know what I will ever do with the stuff. Regards, TC

longrifle

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 11:46:59 PM »
Great looking hawk, I really like the trim work on it.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 01:47:52 AM »
How does that work when you use a cast head, do you simply file it up the way it comes or does a person have to anneal it and then  harden/temper when your done? I like those chests you make. Where do you get those locks, are they the type that when you close the lid it automatically locks? If you lived closer to me I would give you all the pine you ever needed for chests for the rest of your life, I have piles and piles of really wide clear 5/4 white pine. Honestly, I don't know what I will ever do with the stuff. Regards, TC

I just filed it the way it came, I never thought about annealing it. I will next one and see if it makes a difference. Like I said that one came from Reaves Goehring and he to;d me it was hard when I bought it. I have used other brass castings that were really soft.
 The locks come from Horton Brass, they must be locked and unlocked with a key.
 I could use some of that clear wide 5/4 pine. It is hard to find decent pine around here,
I have to search Thurough a whole pallet to find 70 or 80 feet that I can use. Sometimes I use poplar, it is nice to work and knot free.

Tim C.

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 02:05:27 AM »
Tim,
That's great looking!  The pipe and case.  The hawk is nice by itself but the case really sets it off and makes a beautiful display.  Outstanding.
Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 02:25:30 AM »
I found Horton Brass locks on the internet.  Are you ordering from them direct?
Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

S.Willis

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 05:14:08 AM »
Very nice Tim.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 11:01:11 PM »
I found Horton Brass locks on the internet.  Are you ordering from them direct?
Ken

Yes I do, call them at 1-800-754-9127, talk to Orion. Ask him about a discount  if you purchase 'X' number, they let me mix the numbers.
I use the chest locks, CL-2, CL-5 and the box locks, LK-6 and LK-7. They are VERY well made in England.

Tim C.