Author Topic: Rot Stabilization??  (Read 7060 times)

Offline Telgan

Rot Stabilization??
« on: July 14, 2008, 02:12:39 PM »
Does  anyone remember the name of the product to stabilize rotten wood? There was a thread about  it probably in the last 6 to 8 months or so, but I have been unable to locate it in the  archives. Think there may have been two products mentioned, one might have been made by minwax . Fhanks, Tom

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
Re: Rot Stabilization??
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 02:33:09 PM »
Kramer's Best Antique Restorer may help dependingh on the problem.
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Rick Sheets

• HCH Master Horner and Web Guy
    • Proud Journeyman Horner with the Honourable Company of Horners
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 04:10:21 PM »
http://www.rotdoc.com/
I believe this is the product in question. The application of Rot Doctor will "plasticize" the wood, forever changing it.
Rick
Proud Master Horner with the Honourable Company of Horners
     http://www.hornguild.org
My personal website:
     http://patriothorns.com
Like me on facebook:
     http://www.facebook.com/patriothorns

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 04:12:55 PM »
Tom,
The Minwax product is simply called Wood Hardener.  It may or may not solve any problems you've got.

It's intended use is to provide a stable base for filling with wood putty.  The directions say to remove decayed and soft, crumbly wood until you reach sound wood.

The trick is to get full saturation/penetration in the rotten wood if you're not going to remove it.

Kramer's nourishes dried wood.  It's of no value on rotten wood.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Dave B

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 04:30:44 PM »
Tom,
A company called System Three that makes resin for the repairing of boats has a product for rotting wood. Here is the link: https://www.systemthree.com/endrot_kit_order.asp
I have used their other resin products and they have worked quite well. This stuff is like water and will saturate the punky wood then set making it plastic.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Telgan

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 05:01:42 PM »
Guys, Thanks so much for your quick response. I really appreciate it. Will give some carefull consideration to the products  and make my choice after digesting product material and sleeping on it for a night.  Tom

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 05:10:44 PM »
The top of the lock mortise on my chunker (percussion) is quite pitted/blasted by cap frags and I was about to take the time to dab a bit of the thin super glue on that area (carefully).  I don't like to see her getting beat up like that.  But, at my age why worry.  Should I consider the next guy on down the road?? ::)

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 05:11:52 PM »
Tom, you might, with vacuum, get to soak the wood thoroughly with one of these water-thin epoxy products. Eric von Aschwege used some kind of product mentioned above for stabilizing a pistol stock.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008, 08:57:30 PM »
Does  anyone remember the name of the product to stabilize rotten wood? There was a thread about  it probably in the last 6 to 8 months or so, but I have been unable to locate it in the  archives. Think there may have been two products mentioned, one might have been made by minwax . Fhanks, Tom

rotdoctor.com

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2008, 09:14:38 PM »
Could you do a metal overlay?  Some old guns have a metal piece over/in place of the wood behind the nipple just for this reason.
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2008, 11:21:15 PM »
I used the "Rot Doctor" CPES epoxy to help stabilize an antique pistol stock.  I drilled several 1/16" holes in hidden areas and used a large veteranary syringe to inject the stuff into every area possible.  It's about the consistency of diesel fuel and really wicks into the end grain.  Get the warm weather formula, mix more than you think the stock will take, and expect to spend 4-6 hours with the stock making sure it absorbs as much as it can.  The cans say the epoxy will begin to kick within 8 hrs or so at room temperature... that's about right, but it will remain liquid in your mixing cup for several days or weeks.  I didn't get full strength until at least 2 weeks later, but now that it's fully cured the wood is very tough.

I also injected it into a couple soft areas of plywood on the boat (that I didn't have time to replace this year).  I didn't think it'd do much, but the area is surprisingly stiff now.  Hope this helps!
-Eric
Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

Offline Hank*in*WV

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2008, 01:52:19 AM »
Could you do a metal overlay?  Some old guns have a metal piece over/in place of the wood behind the nipple just for this reason.

A number of Vincent rifles I've seen are inlayed in this area with brass. I did one in pewter. Worked well.
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell