Author Topic: Copper inlays  (Read 8807 times)

Offline rjpalmer

Copper inlays
« on: December 23, 2014, 10:29:31 AM »
I'm curious if any original builders used copper for inlays, patchboxes or nose caps. I've never personally seen a rifle or even photos of a rifle sporting such work. Can anyone reference copper used on original works?

Offline Hungry Horse

Re: Copper inlays
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2014, 06:23:33 PM »
 I have not seen copper used for inlays, except on some North West coast native American decorated rifles, and trade guns. I have seen pictures of late muzzleloading rifles that had aluminum inlays. Aluminum was considered a precious metal back then.

Hungry Horse

Online smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2014, 11:02:29 PM »
The link below shows  a 17th century gun I built using some copper inlays.  Inlays were more colorful during the 16th and 17th centuries.  Copper works well but it is soft and tarnishes quickly, which is probably why it was never widely popular as an inlay material on guns.  However, I believe in the right setting, it provides wonderful color especially when complimented by bone, brass and silver.

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=15747.0

I believe that are at least several surviving 18th and early 19th century American rifles and fowlers with copper inlays.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2014, 03:04:12 AM »
Yes....copper was used. Seen them on some originals when I attended the TN KY show in Norris a few years back.....may even have some pictures.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2014, 08:18:20 PM »
I saw a really nice SMR by Ken Guy with a copper coin inlet into the cheek.  It seems to me the for'd rod pipe was copper too.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Vomitus

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2014, 09:57:58 PM »
  Taylor, that would be "Miss Penny". The forward RR pipe is meant to look like a repair with the copper one. Kinda cool.

Offline Kermit

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2014, 10:25:09 PM »
I think I have fotos somewhere of a rifle with copper pipes, nosecap, and sideplate. Iron TG and buttplate as I recall.

Copper was a precious prestige metal on the NW Pacific coast before contact, and continues that tradition today.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline rjpalmer

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2014, 05:54:11 AM »
Many thanks to all that replied. Thank you Smart Dog,  your work is spectacular - I enjoyed your reference to your previous  build.

Mark Horvat

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2014, 06:54:48 PM »
Deringer used copper for at least one inlay on the cheek piece of one of his rifles.
Mark

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2014, 07:04:31 AM »
You can get a slightly different color by using C220 bronze, also called "Commercial Bronze"

This is nominal 90% copper 10% zinc. It will be reddish, but not so much as is copper. You can work it a bit more than common brass (70% copper 30% zinc) before it needs to be annealed.

Please be aware that the words "brass" and "bronze" are quite ancient, from a time when there were only a few available alloys. Now there are some 500-odd copper alloys referred to variously as brass or bronze, being copper alloyed with anything from aluminum to zirconium.

I like www.onlinemetals.com for small quantities but a lot of places handle C220 sheet and plate.

Offline Herb

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2015, 11:19:24 PM »
Here is a .40 caliber flintlock I built for Carole.  Her spirit animal is an eagle, so I put a copper eagle feather and copper eagles with sterling silver heads and tails on her patch box.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 06:51:25 AM by Herb »
Herb

Offline rjpalmer

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2015, 09:15:21 AM »
Very imaginative and nicely done. This really makes a unique personal styled rifle that has meaning for both the builder and owner.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2015, 11:34:01 PM »
Here is what I believe is a copper inlay on a restocked Iron mounted rifle. A goose maybe, a turkey? I don't know. It was an added on piece not done by the original rifle smith who's engraving is crude by comparison with this.

I could be wrong this could be brass and not copper the edges look awfully yellow vs red
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 12:08:39 AM by Dave B »
Dave Blaisdell

Offline halfstock

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2015, 12:21:17 AM »
I'd say that was brass or bronze.

Offline Kermit

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2015, 07:02:52 PM »
Can't remember where I found these--copper sideplate and nosecap. Maybe the pipes too? I was thinking of using copper too.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 07:04:17 PM by Kermit »

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2015, 05:31:58 PM »
Search  Salvo on Contemporary Makers site.Remember these pictures from there awhile back.I handled this fine rifle years ago. Randolph Salvo built it in the late sixties or early seventies I think.Sideplate and toeplate were copper the rest iron. Had a sheaf of rice carved behind the cheek piece, an easy rifle for someone from the Lowcountry of S.C. To remember.     Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2015, 06:33:44 PM »
I have "Malachi" in my possession. It's a great old gun. Salvo made it in 1969. The barrel is marked "JOHN DODD" and "CHARLES TOWNE 1769". The lock is marked "GRICE" but the mark is almost worn off. It has a copper side plate & toe plate. The rest of it is iron. It.s a 48" long .65 caliber smoothbore, double tapered barrel, hand made lock, etc. He made every piece of the gun. I have shot it a few times and it shoots very good.

Offline Kermit

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2015, 06:57:40 PM »
Thanks--that's the gun. I think Salvo was a genius/artist/craftsman who should be better known. That copper has such a warm feel to it.

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2015, 08:04:36 PM »
Yep. Old Salvo was an artiste alright. He was ornery as could be and even somewhat rude but he had a heart as big as Texas. He was moody and held a grudge forever. However, he made some great knives & hawks. I have 2 pipe hawks & one tomahawk he made. Great stuff. He was a pretty good bow maker too but I've sold all his remaining bows except his personal bow and a hand full of cane arrows. Those won't be sold any time soon. I have a Hawken he made. The breech plug, snail & tang could easily be mistaken for a cast part produced today. Triggers, lock, trigger guard & butt plate all hammered out in his old forge. I also possess a .30 caliber he made for his 1st wife. He used a little copper on the that one too. It's a pretty little rifle. He died from complications of pneumonia 5 years ago this month. He was always looking for a younger person to teach or pass stuff on to but never really found anybody. I just came along too late for which I'm sorry.