Author Topic: TN show  (Read 3774 times)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
TN show
« on: January 07, 2015, 02:09:07 AM »
I just put the official notice up for the TN show for those of you that want to mark your calendar. Great show if you can make it : http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=33361.msg320014#msg320014
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
Re: TN show
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 03:55:41 AM »
Great, I was wanting to mark that one down.  Hadda miss last year.  Trying to not hadda miss this year.

you've all been warned  ;D

Hold to the Wind

Offline iloco

• Old Timer, Chilhowie, Va.
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 03:57:32 AM »
I hope to be there on friday.  It's a great show.
iloco

Offline WElliott

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 04:11:09 AM »
Thanks, Dennis!
Wayne Elliott

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 10:02:11 AM »
Even though I have rarely gotten a chance to fully enjoy it as I have usually been there for a photo assignment,  I like this show more than any of the others I have attended.    There are several reasons for that.   First,  there are lots of Southern iron mounted guns.  Second,  the location is great.   It probably couldn't be any better.  Third (and I feel bad not putting this first), Wayne and Boo are great hosts and wonderful people.   Also a lot of great people show up with great guns.   Everybody is crowed together so you can't help but bump into and converse with people.   Lastly, the BBQ is a great opportunity to talk with old friends about old guns in a relaxed atmosphere.   The only down side for me is the nine hour drive one way.  
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 10:02:53 AM by Mark Elliott »

Hessian

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2015, 05:03:23 PM »
I really enjoy this show and it's only a couple of hours from me.
Hessian

Offline PPatch

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2015, 05:34:10 PM »
I'll be there, looking forward to it.

Have been twice and it was a hoot each time. lots to see and more importantly handle! Good people and lots of knowledge to soak up. If you are into mountain rifles it is the place to go, but there are also plenty of other styles displayed. Beside all of that the Knoxville area is very beautiful and the grounds the show is held on* contains much of interest. You are going to need a sweater and jacket for the mornings and evenings, midday it is usually warm. When you're getting within range of Clinton tune into KDVX at 89.9 FM for some fine listening on the way to the show. it'll put you in the mood for some old timely shooting irons.

*Museum of Appalachia: http://www.museumofappalachia.org/

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2015, 07:18:58 PM »
Even though I have rarely gotten a chance to fully enjoy it as I have usually been there for a photo assignment,  I like this show more than any of the others I have attended.    There are several reasons for that.   First,  there are lots of Southern iron mounted guns.  Second,  the location is great.   It probably couldn't be any better.  Third (and I feel bad not putting this first), Wayne and Boo are great hosts and wonderful people.   Also a lot of great people show up with great guns.   Everybody is crowed together so you can't help but bump into and converse with people.   Lastly, the BBQ is a great opportunity to talk with old friends about old guns in a relaxed atmosphere.   The only down side for me is the nine hour drive one way. 

I agree with all that Mark said, and its also a 9 hr trip for me as well. One thing we try to do is to make a historical side stop on the way down. The Davy Crockett birthplace is not far off I-81 and worth stopping by. The same for Sycamore Shoals State Historic Park which is not far off our I-81 route. Another location that I thoughly enjoyed visiting on the way down was Crab Orchard Museum over in Tazewell VA well worth a stop. https://craborchardmuseum.wordpress.com/ At one time they had a nice display of Bean Rifles in the visitor center. Didn't see them the last time I was there.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson