Author Topic: Machine shop weights?  (Read 6902 times)

Offline tddeangelo

Machine shop weights?
« on: February 09, 2015, 01:54:14 AM »
I have a chance to acquire 200lbs of lead at scrap rate (40 cents a lb). The seller said it was from very old machine shop equipment, that the lead weights were counter-weights for equipment. He said the equipment dated to the 20's/30's.

He knows nothing about the lead, he just needs to be rid of it.

Seems like maybe a good source to scoop up? Thoughts?

Offline LH

Re: Machine shop weights?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 03:42:09 AM »
40 cents is not bad.  If its something you cant use,  you can swap it to other shooters.  Shotgunners use hardened lead for shot and pistol shooters too.  Maybe you'll be lucky and it'll be soft lead. 

Offline retired fella

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 03:46:32 AM »
Sounds like a super deal.  I pay 1.00 per pound retail at a local scrap dealer.  That will last you a few seasons.

Offline tddeangelo

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 03:59:18 AM »
I figured I'd get it, as I shoot a 41 Mag, 45acp, 40s&w, and a 45-70, all of which can use the lead if it doesn't work out for the flintlock.

Have a bunch of stuff going on throughout the week, but told the seller I'd come get it next Sunday. He offered for me to look through the other stuff he has to be rid of, not sure there's anything I need, but may as well look! :)

Offline trentOH

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2015, 05:58:15 AM »
Just don't grab anything which excites geiger counters.

Offline winemaker

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2015, 08:57:27 PM »
It should be dead soft lead, It was used as counter weight in machines because it would deaden machining vibrations. Jig grinders would have pockets in the castings that were full of lead shot to stop harmonics while grinding.

Offline frontstuffer

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2015, 03:43:39 AM »
Pick up 1200 LBS. of the same kind of lead. They use it to counterweight vertical coulmns

Offline tddeangelo

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2015, 08:31:18 PM »
I emailed the seller to confirm I'll take this pending a change to look it over first, of course. Should be getting it this coming weekend. Now I just need to get a pot and mold and I'm ready to go.

Offline tddeangelo

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2015, 08:54:03 PM »
Picked it up yesterday. 240lbs for $98. Easily scratched with a thumbnail, so it can't be THAT hard? :)

Offline Old Ford2

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2015, 06:02:15 AM »
Pick up a bar, about 2 feet, drop it ( on concrete ).
If it rings a little it is hard, if it is a dead thud, it is soft.
Not very scientific but it works.
Even a hard wheel weight rings when dropped.
Fred
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!

Offline tddeangelo

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2015, 07:14:08 PM »
I'll give that a whirl. I have to find some place with concrete I don't mind smashing with 40+ pounds of lead.....  :o

I wirebrushed oxidation/dust/grime off them, and it scored the lead very deeply to wirebrush it. I just have to dig out an old chisel now and knock it into manageable pieces. The bars are about 2 feet long, and the cross-section is 4"x2", give or take (guesstimating on measurements, but that gives a rough idea on size). I figured I should break it apart and make it into ingots when weather permits.

Offline tddeangelo

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2015, 02:47:47 AM »
Drop test result was that it sounded sort of like a cross between a piece of 4x4 hitting the concrete (that slap lumber can make) and a "splat" kinda sound. Scratched the bejeebers out of the lead bar too.

I think its good to go.