Author Topic: Building on a budget  (Read 7367 times)

greenchile

Building on a budget
« on: January 07, 2015, 04:32:13 AM »
So I'd like to build my first rifle on a budget one piece at a time, can anyone help me with what parts should be bought or made 1st 2nd 3rd etc?   

Thanks
GREG                                     

Offline Chunker119

Re: Building on a budget
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 04:39:04 AM »
IMHO, the old adage "Lock, Stock, and Barrel" should be first three purchases. These are the essentials, also depending on the style of build and your skill level nearly every other piece can be made. Ebay is sometimes great for finding parts on the cheap also. Hope this info helps!

Best Wishes,
Colton Fleetwood
Colton L. Fleetwood                
     "Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway"  - John Wayne

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 04:58:58 AM »
You can work on the lock and the bbl without the stock.

But you can't do anything with the stock, until ye has bbl. 

nothing meaningful anyways.  besides aging.

On that note though, a blank slab should be much more stable whilst you collect the other parts.

Took me over 5 years (or some such) to get all the parts together the first time.  It's not so painful waiting the next time or two- once you have one to shoot.

You can/should tune the lock, clean up the parting lines etc, engrave?  Then the bbl need to be drawfiled, lugs/pins, sights, "pre-finishing", engraving/inlay.

You've tuned to right channel, be sure to check out a lot of the "previous programming" and also the archival "footage" saved in the "ALR Archives" as there's 12,261 threads there. 

Cheers

Hold to the Wind

Offline Kermit

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 06:29:49 AM »
Then the bbl need to be drawfiled, lugs/pins, sights, "pre-finishing"...

Before inletting? Stock, barrel, lock would be my sequence. What do I know? I'm really random about almost everything. Makes SWMBO a little nutso.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 09:17:39 AM »
I make all my mounts and prep everything for inletting before I touch the stock.   There is always lots of work to do to the lock with filing, polishing and tuning.   There is usually similar work to be done to the set triggers if you use them.    I can build an iron mounted rifle for the cost of a stock blank($80 buys a good one), a barrel ($300), and a lock ($150) with a touch hole liner and few screws thrown in at about $20.   The iron for the mounts can come from my stock/scrap pile.   So,  if you wanted to stretch out the purchases,  start with the mounts that can be made for free (theoretically).  Then purchase the lock, which will keep you busy for a while; followed by the barrel.   You can drawfile the barrel, shape the tang, and cut the dovetails using the tenons and sights you should have already made.    Don't put the tenon in yet, though.  That will make inletting the barrel harder.  The last thing you will need is the stock blank.    I can and have made many guns for that direct material cost.   Set triggers will cost you about $50.   Of course there is a LOT of learning that needs to go into making the mounts and other parts ostensibly for free, but you can do it all for $600-$650.   You could reduce your barrel cost about $100 by going with a straight barrel but I wouldn't do that unless you are building a target rifle.   It is not harder to inlet a swamped barrel than it is to inlet a straight barrel so don't let that worry you.    

The fancy carved and engraved personal chunk gun I made cost less than that because I had had some of the parts a long time.  I don't think the custom Getz barrel cost me $200.  I probably paid $120 for the lock and I paid $60 for the stock blank.  I know the price of the wood because it was written on the blank. The triggers where about $40. There was a White Lightning liner which probably cost less than $10 and an assortment of screws, also less than $10.  The rest came from the scrap bin.   I forgot the ramrod.  I always bought them in bulk so it probably didn't cost more than $2-$3.    

To go the low cost route, you probably will need to get an local (relatively) experienced builder to help you.   The more you know, the less you have to buy and an experienced builder providing hand on help can impart that easily.   Also,  if you are working with another builder,  he will probably throw some of the less expensive raw materials if you don't have them, not to mention provide forge facilities and other specialized tools.      I would and have been  willing to provide that help to anyone who showed up at my shop.    Call or e-mail first though ;)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 09:29:29 AM by Mark Elliott »

Kenny

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2015, 09:22:20 AM »
Greg,
lots of good folks with "lots" of experience on here willing to help us beginners . beware the "wordy" well i built one, or i'm gonna build one... folks, although maybe good meaning have only 2nd , 3rd hand advise. There is so much real experience here that can save you lots of struggle. keep asking , they will answer.

hahaha, see, they already did before i finished typing.
Kenny

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2015, 08:02:04 PM »
Log Cabin Shop in Lodi, Ohio has many stocks on the cheap! Geat way to get 3 to 4 for under 150 smackers and they are somewhat plain, some have curl, some don't.....but it's a great way to stretch your dollar while learning how to do this.....by they way: they got barrels, locks and all that stuff that you'll need to have to make one. They'll even put in a barrel and ramrod groove for you......

can't get any better than that!

kaintuck

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2015, 01:18:18 AM »
buy the 'how to' books 1st~ see IF you want to jump in the water.......and also, you'll see what you want to get started on.......

contact tip curtis~he has parts/kits/ rifles in th ewhite, and finished one.....Lancasters/poor boys/ SMR's...what vere your tastes.......

welcome to the madness.........
marc n tomtom

Offline little joe

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2015, 07:03:57 AM »
Go to some trade, ML, shows. I have picked up som pretty good used locks, barrels 44 in. C wt.50 cal Rice for 140,  44 in. B wt. Colrain 50 cal for 90, nice wood ect. You do have to be a judge on what you want, if you don,t take some one with you and don,t be afraid to dicker with the seller.

Offline sz

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2015, 08:12:07 AM »
Here is a tutorial I did on building some years ago.  I am about 3 points smarter than a rock when it comes to computers and the cyber world, so I had my friend Colin post it all for me on his site.
Anyway I hope this will be helpful to you

http://blackpowderfa.proboards.com/thread/194/left-hand-lehigh

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2015, 09:07:42 AM »
Then the bbl need to be drawfiled, lugs/pins, sights, "pre-finishing"...

Before inletting? Stock, barrel, lock would be my sequence. What do I know? I'm really random about almost everything. Makes SWMBO a little nutso.

If you drawfile after inletting you increase your clearances (tiny bit).  The fittings could be "done early" and left loose/removable for inletting, snugged up later.

But i'm a metal guy first, maybe that's it.  Wood has become more interesting lately.
Hold to the Wind

ken

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2015, 04:13:46 PM »
Lock stock and Barrel!! I like to have as many of the parts be fore I start a project . It helps me with the layout and the fit  as some parts must work together. ken

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2015, 05:48:16 PM »
I don't start a gun without having the barrel 1st. I then put the barrel in wood. That's when I actually start so I'd say get the wood & barrel 1st. That's just me. There are as many ways to do things as there are people doing them.

Oh and I don't think building on a budget is a good idea. You are going to have to spend some money. Don't spend your money on mediocre stuff and expect anything better than mediocre.

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2015, 06:00:21 PM »
Start building some of your own parts. It is easy to make things like barrel underlugs, trigger plate and trigger. Toeplates and inlays can be cut from a brass door kickplate. 

Buy a good lock first, then maybe your barrel. You can set these aside while saving up for your stock blank. Above all, get parts that are worth having. It is false economy to go cheap on the lock or barrel, even if you are on a budget.

Offline dapper

• Starting Member
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2015, 07:31:13 PM »
IMHO Gaeckle  is right on the money (pun intended). If you have never built before you will probably make a mistake or "miscalculation" on the stock, so start with a less expensive piece. A 30$ blank is alot easier on your stomach to learn a lesson with than a 200-400$ one. You also learn SO much on your first build, that you start planning your second as you go. I threw out my first stock and had to drastically change my second due to the school of hard knocks. This is just my way of thinking...hope it helps!

PS I don't mean to skimp on quality where it matters. Maybe practice each inlet on scrap before you move forward. Also learning how to put a butplate on--or seating the entry thimble-- are things you should learn because they can be tricky at first (or even longer for some of us ;D)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 07:44:14 PM by dapper »

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2015, 07:46:55 PM »
Lock stock and Barrel!! I like to have as many of the parts be fore I start a project . It helps me with the layout and the fit  as some parts must work together. ken

Having a sorta/kinda match of the parts helps too.I remember a man
who couldn't understand why my Hawken squirrel rifle lock wouldn't
work with an inch and one eighth breech.

Bob Roller

Offline Chris Treichel

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2015, 08:16:01 PM »
Cheap maple stocks also usually means straight grain which is easier to carve and work... Less grain changing direction or doing weird stuff. Put your money in a good barrel and lock.  A pinned trigger in the right place you can make yourself and is very effective. You can also easily make all the other metal components such as thimbles, trigger guard and buttplate or buy sand castings for the large items.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 08:18:22 PM by Chris Treichel »

greenchile

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2015, 09:24:53 PM »
Thanks for all the great info have started practicing by making some ramrod thimbles.

Looking for more advice on the correct style of lock for lehigh style rifle?

Also any opinions is it possible to shoot shot from a rifled barrel?

Thanks

Greg