Author Topic: Northwest trade muskets  (Read 8643 times)

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
Northwest trade muskets
« on: July 14, 2008, 02:16:48 PM »
I'm sure this may be a silly question, but have any of y'all built any nice plain jane trade muskets? I think they are kinda neat in an unsophisticated kinda way.
Psalms 144

Offline T*O*F

Re: Northwest trade muskets
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 04:21:49 PM »
Clark,
I used to recommend the Northwest Trade gun as a first build for beginners.  They are relatively inexpensive and you pick up most of the basics.  The majority of the hardware just sits on the wood, so minimal inletting skills are required.  Also, the hardware is simple enough that the beginner can make most of it himself if he so desires.  It's a good way to get your feet wet.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

northmn

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 05:12:49 PM »
If one looks at a NW Trade gun closely, they are a design with production in mind.  The brass buttplate only needed the tang inletted as the rest was nailed on.  No entry thimble and no nose cap.   If you want to go to the earlier ones they were almost universally 24 gauge. This is the primary gun that the local Anishinaabe (Ojibwe) used in Northern MN from the later 1700's to mid 1800's (at least 50years) I have run into a few originals.  About the only thing I would do if I were to build one is to look carefully at any precarved stocks as they tend to be made too straight (a common complaint about the originals).  As Tof stated except for the dragon sideplate, barrel and lock you can make almost all the parts.  The thimbles might be a problem and may not be worth it compared to the cost of ready made.  Early Wheeler used a Ketland lock later ones would be the Barnett. The Trade Gun Sketchbook by Hansen is a good reference for making them if still in print if you want to save a little and make the parts.  Know people that have shot deer and bear with them.  As they were typically traded to the natives, I built smoothbores of different styles.  Fowlers are also a good first build.

DP

Leatherbelly

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 10:46:08 PM »
 Myself,I like the French Trade guns. If I was to build a kit smoothie,it would be from Paul Siebert at Centremark. I have owned two of these and I like them. The Fusil de Chasse is what it was called. Translated; Hunting Gun.

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 09:03:53 AM »
Ok who makes an accurate barrel for a Northwest trade gun? I've got Gooding's book as well as Newton's book. New shows the early Whately with a barrel that flairs at the end and the Barnett doesn't. One thing from Gooding's book I noticed is it seems that the Trade musket used a military style lock. The earlier types look like Bess locks and the later percussion versions look like P.53 locks.
Psalms 144

Offline RonT

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 03:33:54 PM »
I built the top one from one of Curly Gostomski's North Star kits ~1980, and the bottom one from scratch (.50 Belgium barrel, CVA flint lock)for my oldest son ~1982.  Recomend following the Sketch book.
R
Spes Mea in Deo Est

northmn

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 08:06:11 PM »
NW guns varied slightly as to barrel dimensions even within the same periods.  Most are built up around the Barnett style.  I have both The Northwest Gun and the Sketchbook by Hansen which are invaluable resources for building one.  If you are going to be meticulous in your reproduction then you may have to do some marking of your own.  The NW gun is popular enough that you can get locks from L & R and Davis.  The large Ketland is a good one for an early one and the Barnett is also made.
Quotes from Hansen:  "The barrels of all trade guns examined were octagon for about seven inches a the Breech, this octagon became sixteen sided and then terminated in two or three circular ridges"  We call the circular ridges wedding bands.  "The locks all follow the general out-line of British sporting flintlocks". 
I purchased a Dixie shotgun barrel in 20 gauge that is not a NW gun barrel just as an aside.  As to barrel length.  As a rule of thumb the earlier ones would have been longer barreled than the later ones.  Barnets likely came in a variety of lengths.  These guns were in existence from after the French and Indian War to the mid 1800s or about 100 years.  The American Fur Trade comany had to make them to compete with the HBC. The natives wanted the serpent side plate and the Fox in the circle.  They also demanded quality and would not accept cheapening when tried.  The Belgian guns did not go over. 

DP

Offline RonT

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 09:15:01 PM »
I think that I have one of the scale prints laying around if interested...hafta' look.
R

I'm sure this may be a silly question, but have any of y'all built any nice plain jane trade muskets? I think they are kinda neat in an unsophisticated kinda way.
Spes Mea in Deo Est

48mauser

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 02:28:00 AM »
I think that I have one of the scale prints laying around if interested...hafta' look.
R

Rot T, Not to hijack but I would be interested if possible. Thanks, Paul P.