Author Topic: Staining a Sycamore stock  (Read 14055 times)

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Re: Staining a Sycamore stock
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2009, 01:29:02 AM »
Cool list, rich. Pignut hickory looks like the densest wood at SG of .75
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline halfstock

« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2009, 01:48:18 AM »
I'm pretty sure that everyone is gonna go off on thier own tangent on your question, but staining a piece of scrap is probably the right way to go, if I were you I would try some fiebings leather dye on at least one pice I think you might be very pleasantly surprised. Most makers stick with what they have been told rather than experiment, I commend you for willing to try something new, I expect our forefathers did the samething. Try it you might like it.

Halfstock

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2009, 01:57:23 AM »
Hey Acer, If Stoph's not gonna make Dixon's, I'll take dibs on the other half of that six pack  ;D Looks like I'll make it there this year after missing last year. :'( I've got a nice american elm in my backyard about 24 " in diameter. Not many Elm's left here in MI, but mine looks healthy. Always wondered about the working quality of Elm.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2009, 10:00:55 PM »
Elm is tough to plane because the grain interlocks and twists.  It has no figure either.  Plain, white wood unless you get a red elm with the beautiful heartwood.  I use planes and spokeshaves a lot in building guns and bows and it's dicey with elm.  I just roughed out a yoke from elm and it's tricky to work.  But hickory is hard to plane also as it has some kind of micro-interlocking grain.  Guess that's why it's so good for bows.

Back to staining sycamore- just try all the aniline dyes and AQF and vinegar and iron and show us how it comes out.  I know Acer has even stained poplar with vinegar and iron successfully.
Andover, Vermont