Author Topic: holster pistol origin  (Read 4051 times)

altankhan

holster pistol origin
« on: February 22, 2009, 03:21:08 AM »

I hope that this is in the parameters of the site.

I recently acquired what seems to be a European holster pistol (converted tp percussion) -- no provision for ramrod -- end cap held on with one spring under stock (where ramrod channel would be).  I'm wondering if it is an Austrian cavalry pistol (though obvious c. 1760s French influence)-- maybe issued in a brace of pistols paired with a short carabine sharing the same ramrod?  About .72 cal., iron mounts, barrel nearly nine inches; rear site integral with tang; "teat" on rear of lockplate.  Several numbers to rear of sideplate: 90   726; on buttplate: 1 AE  219; several inspectors marks.  Any info or ideas on origin and age would be greatly appreciated. Also, it is broken clean through just above the butt cap (hanging together by trigger guard)-- would anyone recommend just gluing the broken stock -- or in addition to gluing, inserting a dowel up under the butt cap? Thanks  (I'll post a picture if needed, once I figure out how to do it...)

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
Re: holster pistol origin
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 01:46:39 AM »
Hi Altankhan,
I think you will have to post pictures.  Based on my limited references it sounds like the pistol could be Austrian or German around the first quarter of the 19th century.  Is the stock beech?  Does the nosecap also serve as a barrel band or is it just a cap placed under the barrel? The broken stock is worth repairing and Brownell's Acraglas is a good glue to use.  Inserting a dowel would help but may not be necessary if you get a good glue joint.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

altankhan

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 05:36:17 AM »
Hi Dave -- thanks very much-- the iron nose cap also serves as barrel band -- just shy of two inches long, with a 5/8 in. cutout on top -half - iron front sight is on barrel, not band -- stock could be light walnut or beech -- the gun is well made and substantial -- I'll get up a picture in a day or two

best, altan khan

altankhan

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 03:47:57 AM »
Here is my attempt to post a photo of the holster pistol (sideplate is typical curved French military style):

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 09:03:24 AM »
Hi Altankhan,
I am going to venture a guess.  I think it may be German.  It is probably a flint model made in the last years of the 18th century and converted to percussion in the 1830's or 1840's.  It could be Austrian but the trigger guard and the front barrel band look more German.  It could also be Danish or Scandinavian. The ramrods were carried as separate tools.   The pistol is almost assuredly not French. 

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

altankhan

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 03:46:06 PM »
Thanks Dave -- that is very helpful -- I agree on the time frame and possible origins -- I'll try to look deeper into German connections.

best, AK