Author Topic: BP stained stock  (Read 3973 times)

Offline bob in the woods

BP stained stock
« on: February 22, 2009, 08:52:17 AM »
I shot "blanks" all day at a historical demo today, and when I got home, I pulled the lock, plugged the vent, and filled the 10 gauge smoothbore barrel with water. I left the gun to soak for about an hour while I did some chores. Now , I find that the vent plug leaked, and there are two nasty black lines running down the stock to the buttplate. I've tried to get them out while finishing the cleaning, but I'm not having much luck :-[ Any suggestions on removing these stains? 

Daryl

Re: BP stained stock
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 05:57:03 PM »
Alcohol?

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 10:20:55 PM »
Thanks Daryl, I'll give it a try. If it doesn't work, I'll live with it. Part of the natural aging I guess.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 12:01:23 AM »
 Be careful with the alcohol, depending on the strength and what you finish is it may remove more than the stains.

Tim C.

tg

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 12:41:46 AM »
I tie off a length of rag to the stock behind but close to the vent and shove another chunk under it so if the vent leaks it stops in the lock mortice, if that makes any sense.

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 01:03:13 AM »
Drink the alcohol and the stripes will be easier to live with. If that doesn't work try some "Kramer's Antique Improver". This stuff is expensive, but man is it good.

Offline Scott Bumpus

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 03:47:34 AM »
Yeah i have some streaks on mine form the same thing.  I just call them longitudal tiger stripes.  Oh yeah jack daniels makes them seem less noticable ,if placed inside the shooter that is. 
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 06:46:18 AM by maplebutcher »
YOU CAN ONLY BE LOST IF YOU GIVE A @!*% WHERE THE $#*! YOU ARE!!