Author Topic: Nice looking rifle on the Contempoary Makers Blog this morning  (Read 12845 times)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Nice looking rifle on the Contempoary Makers Blog this morning
« on: January 28, 2015, 05:37:39 PM »
 Darrin McDonal's iron mounted rifle on Art and Jan's blog this morning really stands out. Great looking rifle Darrin.
Dennis
( http://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/ )
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 05:38:20 PM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Darrin McDonal

Re: Nice looking rifle on the Contempoary Makers Blog this morning
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 06:42:44 PM »
Thanks Dennis. I didn't know it was up there, I'll have to go see how it looks. :o Wow, you can even see all the dust particles. Yikes.
Darrin
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 06:45:29 PM by Darrin McDonal »
Apprentice Gunsmith
Colonial Williamsburg
Owner of Frontier Flintlocks

Offline Steve Bookout

• AF & AM, #59
    • Toad Hall Rifleshop
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 06:48:24 PM »
Darrin, very cool how the lock and patch box share the same motif.  Outstanding job!
Steve Bookout, PhD, CM, BSM
University of South Viet Nam
Class of 1969
Class of 1970
Class of 1971

Offline MontanaFrontier86

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 07:57:39 PM »
Very nice indeed!

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 09:09:48 PM »
I agree with Dennis.   Even with a couple basic construction problems, the overall impression of the gun is great.   I love the dogwood flower tang carving.  He really got that right.   

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 09:18:02 PM »
Darrin:  I really like the rifle.  The architecture shouts 'hunting rifle' to me...would you refer to it as 'Woodbury School'? 
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Darrin McDonal

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 10:41:17 PM »
Well thank you very much guys. I didn't go for the woodbury school intentionally but what I tried to blend was the architecture in the style of Adam Haymaker in the butt along with some of the the J.J. Sheetz (battle of New Orleans rifle) carving. Not a copy. I knew the PB & BP would be a woodbury style and that's ok.
This is my deer gun. Made to be in the woods working in adverse conditions, that's why I gave it the metal treatment I did. I didn't want to worry about every little nick or scratch. This was never meant to be a "master piece) I mean I built it in just over a month start to finish.
Now, I need some honest, blunt... "cards on the table" critique of it. If I can't get feed back from someone else's eyes (a fresh view), how can I improve? Really- let me have it.
Darrin
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 11:04:21 PM by Darrin McDonal »
Apprentice Gunsmith
Colonial Williamsburg

Offline Mark Elliott

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2015, 11:56:10 PM »
Ok, you asked for it.   Of course,  you wouldn't have asked for a critique if you didn't already know you had done a good job.

I only saw three problems that I don't think would have normally been present, even on a gun made in a workman like manner; and one of them could have been easily fixed.   The first was a gap between the butt piece and butt stock at the heel.   This could have just been peened shut.  It still can.  These days,  I just get the butt inlet close, screw it down tight and peen all the little gaps closed.    Then I finish file it.   The next problem was a gap in the inletting of the patchbox at the finial.   These things happen.  Lastly,   the knuckles of the patchbox lid hinge did not line up.   I don't know why they didn't line up unless you used a pin that was too small.   I file up my hinges so that they always line up.

Other people may have other criticisms about the finish of the carving, but I don't think they are appropriate given that this gun was consciously made in a workman like manner and it added to the overall effect of the gun.   I think the engraving was particularly nice, but not too nice.  I like how you created a very effective image of a buck with a few well executed graver cuts. 

All that said, the overall look of the gun was great; being made in a consistent, workman like manner.    Accordingly,   these little nits didn't matter all that much.  

Of course, what do I know?   The things I think are wrong with my guns are never the things the judges at Dixon's think are wrong.   I am entering in the Master class these days.   I have to as I got ribbons in the last two classes.   I have yet to get anything but a Judges Choice in the Master class. It is nothing like having six or seven guys sitting around a table scrutinizing your work for every single defect, no matter how minor.  

« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 12:08:44 AM by Mark Elliott »

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2015, 12:12:03 AM »
A splendid hunting piece you have there.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

kaintuck

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2015, 12:42:42 AM »
darrin,
wonderful piece!......you nailed that barrel ageing thing.....nice details with the front sight, and the tang work........

tomtom says '1st class'...........

marc n tomtom

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2015, 12:54:25 AM »
Now, I need some honest, blunt... "cards on the table" critique of it. If I can't get feed back from someone else's eyes (a fresh view), how can I improve? Really- let me have it.
Like Mark, I noticed the buttplate inletting but thought maybe it might be the lighting/photography.

The major problem I see with it is that its in your gun safe and not mine! It just looks like an attractive/comfortable rifle to hunt with.
Dennis
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 12:56:25 AM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline mark esterly

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2015, 01:05:16 AM »
i think it is outstanding!  artistically everything about it works together well. 
living in the hope of HIS coming.......

Offline Darrin McDonal

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2015, 02:18:24 AM »
Ah, here's a draw back to hi def pictures. But actually thats good,  I am rolling it around now seeing some things from a different angle. The butt piece needed a tiny tweek-done. It didn't stand out in person but photos show things that the eye doesn't easily pick up. My wife will take periodic photos of her paintings or drawings for this reason and it gives her a better idea as to how it looks to others. Or if she gets to a point where she knows an area isn't just right, it makes it more visible (I suppose) in order to address it.
Darrin
Apprentice Gunsmith
Colonial Williamsburg

Offline Mark Elliott

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2015, 03:14:09 AM »
Good high res photos don't lie.   They show every little defect and speck of dust. 

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2015, 04:53:35 PM »
Darrin,  I saw your rifle this morning.  Great work, and I love the feel you created.  I am glad it is going to get to leave your safe and enjoy the outdoors as well.

<<<I am entering in the Master class these days.   I have to as I got ribbons in the last two classes.   I have yet to get anything but a Judges Choice in the Master class. It is nothing like having six or seven guys sitting around a table scrutinizing your work for every single defect, no matter how minor.>>>

Mark, I wonder how many of the old-masters rifles from the Golden Age would pass muster with the judges these days?    :-D   

Best wishes and God Bless,   Marc 

Meteorman

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2015, 05:50:22 PM »
I too am drawn to the workmanlike gestalt given off by the rifle, Darin. 
Nicely done - wish I could carve half that nice.
Since you asked, however, one aspect that does seem a little unnatural to me is the barrel treatment.
It just looks a little overdone to my eye, especially in the shot of the muzzle.
I'm interested in the engraved end of the rear lock bolt - in some shots the lines match up, in some they don't.
It seems like, over time as the wood moved, the lines surely wouldn't match up. 
But I am clueless about this - was this a common tactic on originals with engraved lock plates ?
thanks.  nice work.
/mike

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2015, 06:30:20 PM »
I like the rifle.....I see the gap at the butplate, but that really doesn't bother me at all. I also notice the knuckles and that tells me that the box and everything that goes with it is all made by hand and the hand shows....no off the shelf stuff on this rifle!

Mostly, the over all color is very soothing and pleasing to the eye, good job!

Offline Swampwalker

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2015, 07:32:06 PM »
Darrin, I very much like your rifle, and appreciate that you made it to serve as a hunting rifle, not as a highly finished piece.  So perhaps it shouldn't be picked apart like a gun entered at Dixon's might be.  However, since you said you really wanted a critique, and as one who's also been through the judging at Dixon's a few times, I'll provide the following.
First, I don't care for the trigger - the shape is awkward, the angle looks wrong as it slopes forward, and it looks like it's placed too far back in the bow;
second, while the metal is sweated up and looks well used and aged, the wood does not, but looks newly finished with no distress marks or heavy shadowing, which does not fit with the appearance of the metal surfaces.  This is a common fault with many artificially aged guns;
third, the lock bolt placement is back too far;
fourth, the bevel along the bottom of the lockplate below the cock does not end as far back as it should to my eye;
finally, the background of the carving behind the cheekpiece looks roughly scraped, and does not match the finish of the rest of the rifle.  I also don't care for the look of the rear-most scroll off of the back of the carving - it looks awkward. 
Again overall, I really like the architecture and 'presence' of this rifle, and it looks like it will make a great hunting rifle.  I only offer these comments because you appeared to seriously want to hear a critique, which I've tried to provide.
Regards,
Dave

Offline Darrin McDonal

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2015, 10:44:35 PM »
[/URL][/img]
Here is another view of "the gap". This is funny. I'm getting new names for stock locations. Anyhow I typed up a nice long piece and I timed out while typing and lost it all.
I knew when I finished the hinge it wasn't how I would like it and planned on replacing it in the future but, I had to take it to the woods with me and time was up to cover the hole.
The trigger is exactly where I meant it to be since I wear gloves sometimes while hunting and to have it farther forward would be entirely too dangerous and unwise. A trigger is most visually pleaseing in the rear  1/2 of the bow. I mean you can put it anywhere you want it, this is for this situation.  The stock I did not intentionally distress. That will happen naturally. The iron parts were more for breaking up the lines and reflection for the woods. Not aging though one can argue either way on that look.
You lost me on the lock bolt. How can it be too far back? It can certainly be too far forward and to have it behind the cock entirely is great but difficult.
 Thanks Guys. This is fun
Darrin
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 11:55:31 PM by Darrin McDonal »
Apprentice Gunsmith
Colonial Williamsburg

Offline Darrin McDonal

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2015, 10:46:28 PM »

Did that work?
Apprentice Gunsmith
Colonial Williamsburg

Offline KLMoors

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2015, 01:07:05 AM »
I love that gun. Looks handmade to me, and that fits the overall personality of it. Remember to round the corners on your barrel a little more for "that" kind of look. I think all of the pointers offered so far are good, but be sure not to let them take away from a wonderful piece overall!

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2015, 01:07:35 AM »
Anyhow I typed up a nice long piece and I timed out while typing and lost it all
Darrin, others,
This happens to me all the time. Here is what you need to do. When it tells you that its has timed out, highlight all the text and copy it. It will then be stored in your browser buffer. Then do a "back" by clicking on the "back" arrow on your browser, keep doing this until you are back at the original topic you had done your reply to, now just click reply again and it should open up a brand new window where you can now "paste" the info you copied. All you need to do now is make sure this is what you want to post by clicking on the preview button. If ok click post and you should be good to go.

Shouldn't have anymore lost "epistles" now ;D
Dennis
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 01:09:48 AM by Dennis Glazener »

Offline tlallijr

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2015, 01:18:35 AM »
No critique here, just a congrats on completing a very nice looking rifle....For me, it's one of those rifles that has a charming appeal to it.

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2015, 07:56:17 AM »
Dang nice looking rifle Darrin.  I the only thing I see wrong with it ls there should be big buck in the picture with the rifle laying across it's body ;D

Oh, and one of your screw slots is not perfectly lined up with the bore of the rifle. I had too find something, I didn't want the guy's to think I was going easy on you or anything!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 08:01:34 AM by bama »
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline acorn20

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2015, 09:07:56 PM »
Nice looking rifle Darrin!  Looks like a deer killer.  I like it a lot!
Dan Akers