Author Topic: GPR rebuild  (Read 14731 times)

S99VG

Re: GPR rebuild
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2017, 04:52:35 PM »
I discovered last night while cruising the web that Track of the Wolfe offers a full length replacement stock for the GPR in two different grades of maple.  This option has a lot of appeal to someone like me with limited time to devote to such projects but with a great appreciation for the craft and the singular distinction a hand built rifle can bring.  At least for me it provides an opportunity to create something and learn a little about the skills along the way while maintaining a fully shooting rifle.  Does anyone have any experience with Track of the Wolfe's replacement stocks for Invest Arms rifles?  Many thanks again.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 04:53:21 PM by S99VG »

Black Hand

« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2017, 05:19:38 PM »
I also started removing all of the old blueing from the hardware and I remembered how much I really don't like sanding ...
Naval Jelly from the hardware store will remove Bluing and Browning - NO sanding. Just apply, wait 5-15 minutes, rinse, dry....

Offline Daryl

« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2017, 12:52:40 AM »
I've been comparing pictures of the reworked GPS with a stock rifle and of finished kits from some of the shops and noticed the following (my apologies if I repeat things that already have been said):

The downward bend at the tang is more acute and not as round as in the original GPR.
In accord with the above, there appears to be less wood in the wrist immediately behind the tang.
The slight perch belly is now a straight line.
The front of the comb appears a bit more sharp.
The pads are more pronounced.
Per the text, in cross section the forearm is more rounded (or egg shaped) than the GPR's original rectangular shape.

I'm sure there are more changes in the basic shape than meets my eye.  Would making the wrist more round in cross section and carrying that shape into the butt by relieving the nose of the comb also give a bit more authentic shape?  Earlier plains rifles seem that way to me.  Again, many thanks for refreshing this older post.

The forend cap is about 1/2'd in length as well. The factory article is way too long, imho. To, the cheep piece is reduced in size and shape corrected to be more beaver-tailed.  It is also more nicely finished, but then, that would be normal for any re-finishing of a factory rifle.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

S99VG

« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2017, 12:59:41 AM »
Thanks again