Author Topic: hacksaws  (Read 12152 times)

Offline elk killer

hacksaws
« on: January 30, 2015, 04:11:05 PM »
after having 2 hacksaw frames break in the last 2 months..
who makes a decent one???
one was a Ridgid..one was Stanley
only flintlocks remain interesting..

Offline JBJ

Re: hacksaws
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 05:17:37 PM »
Have had good luck with a Lennox high tension hacksaw for the past several years. I see that they have a newer version on the mkt. that is capable of sustaining even higher blade tensions than my oldere model. Beats anything that I had previously! Pay attention to the kind of blades you buy for this type of saw. I have had equally good luck with the bi-metal blades from Lennox as well as Starrett.
JB

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 08:31:01 PM »
Good hacksaws and blades aren't as common as they used to be.  I prefer the kind with the wheel up top, and the blades from England/France...  I think I ebayed the last batch.

This mild steel we mess with mostly doesn't matter much but working thin-wall 4130 require some properly made blades.

Well i give up. will get pics later.  (wasted too much time looking just now)   I can't find a representative photograph of either my frames or blades, but i do recall choosing that frame as I'd seen a few that had been in professional service for a long time.

Completely satisfied with that part, chasing down a good source of not-widely-imported blades is the hassle.  I used to get the blades at a local independent auto parts house-it's gone, and those are getting TOO scarce as well.

Hold to the Wind

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 08:39:18 PM »
I've been using a Millers Falls Model 48-D with good results for about the last 30 years. It's a tough sucker, and the back part of the frame can be used as a hammer in a pinch! :-)

But I just googled it, and it's now called a 'Vintage' model, so guess it isn't made any longer... Found one sold on ebay for 13 bucks!

John
John Robbins

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 09:09:02 PM »
okay, i found one.  "vintage" was the ticket.  These are hard to beat.

"Ultra" is the blade brand i seek out, the best i've used.  They have various configurations, the "bi-hard" in 32 is the ticket for hard stuff*. I've not tried their other offerings.  Think they're made in France. I've yet to use anything else as good-and i've tried most everything else as these got hard to find. 

*4130 and also sawed a bearing race off the spindle on the side of the road once.  I'm sure there had been some friction annealing.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 07:17:39 AM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2015, 09:10:57 PM »
I can't imagine any hacksaw frame I ever had, breaking.   I currently use a Lowes brand Kobalt hacksaw frame with lever tensioning.  I have had it a number of years. The frame is based on square steel tubing, and it is a deep frame.  There is also a proper handle on each end of the frame.  The level tensioning makes changing blades easy and i do that a lot as you should.   The blade should match the use.   I only buy Starrett bi-metal (high speed steel/carbon steel) blades.   The stuff you buy at the hardware store don't last more than a couple minutes.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 09:16:28 PM by Mark Elliott »

Offline flehto

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2015, 10:30:08 PM »
Bought my hacksaw in 1954 at the start of my tool and diemaker apprenticeship and it's still in A-1 shape. Evidently the "Crescent Tool Co." made a quality product and after 61 yrs of use, still does the job. l have problems buying quality blades....they don't seem to last as long as years go.....which is nothing new in this modern time.....Fred

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2015, 11:27:40 PM »
okay, i found one.  "vintage" was the ticket.  These are hard to beat.

That's almost exactly like the one I purchased from Matco Tools at least 30 years ago and it's still going strong.  It was used to cut everything automotive before relegated to gun use.  They may still sell it.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Kermit

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2015, 03:42:02 AM »
I guess those red-handled wheel adjusters were sold under a few names. Mine sez Craftsman, and I've had it for about 40-45 years. I lost the blade retaining pins pretty quickly, and a series of bucked off nails have served ever since.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline Dave Marsh

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2015, 04:00:54 AM »
Bought my hacksaw in 1954 at the start of my tool and diemaker apprenticeship and it's still in A-1 shape. Evidently the "Crescent Tool Co." made a quality product and after 61 yrs of use, still does the job. l have problems buying quality blades....they don't seem to last as long as years go.....which is nothing new in this modern time.....Fred

Is your Crescent Hacksaw the 1047 model??  That is what I have.  Tough piece of gear.

Dave
"Those who give up freedom for security deserve neither freedom nor security."
~ Benjamin Franklin

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2015, 04:17:26 AM »
I didn't even know you could get cobalt steel bi-metal blades.  I will have to look for them.    I stopped using high speed steel lathe tool bits in favor of cobalt steel, because the high speed steel wouldn't hold an edge on tool steel.   My graver bits are cobalt these days also. 

Offline Col. Barnett

• Starting Member
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2015, 03:09:59 PM »
I believe that Forney Welding supplied the Ultra blade. They are in a lot of the auto parts stores and some of the hardware chains and farm stores. Call around and ask if they have a Forney display

Ric

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2015, 04:56:47 PM »
I buy all my tools at auctions, no new made junk for me. Auctions are the only place I buy hacksaw blades. Take a new store bought blade and take one swipe on a piece of mild steel and all the teeth fall off...... :-\
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline flehto

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2015, 05:28:02 PM »
Strongbear....yes, it's a #1047. When I was building stamping dies , much of the tool steels were various grades of air hardeming, eg....D3 and D5 and this saw and the blades easily cut this stuff.  Most of the blades made nowadays couldn't cut this "stuff" and as was said, can barely cut brass and mild steel. .....but what else is new?.....Fred

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2015, 11:49:49 PM »

I have been using this old Balfore saw for most of my adult life. It was a gift from an English friend (now departed), and has never let me down.  It is comfortable to use and very strong.  I know that it will serve generations to come.  It is completely adjustable for blades from 8" to over 12".

« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 11:51:04 PM by D. Taylor Sapergia »
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

wilkie

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2015, 09:20:20 AM »
I have a couple of old frames that are at least 50 years old.  The most note worthy aspect of hacksawing I have learned is to use some bacon grease on the blade.  The grease helps keep the blade cooler so that the teeth aren't overheated and softened.  I use bimetal blades for long blade life.  I use some high carbon blades and save them to make springs out of when they get dull.  I also use a small amount of bacon grease on most of my files.  It helps keep pins from lodging in the teeth and the cuttings can be easily removed with a brass brush. 

sweed

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2015, 04:45:08 PM »
When I was young, and old blacksmith taught me that a hacksaw was nothing more than a very thin file. Never drag the blade backward on the cut, lift it slightly!!! Just as with a file you make a stroke...lift...drawback...stroke again! If you practice this, you will be surprised how few blades you break, and how long they last.

Offline Bill-52

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2015, 05:39:36 PM »
elk killer,

Many years ago I had a relatively new hacksaw break on me.  Since then, I've been using two old Disston hacksaws which belonged to my father & grandfather.  Nothing special, just very sturdy.  You may want to check yard sales and online vintage tool vendors.

Bill

Offline Darrin McDonal

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2015, 07:19:51 PM »
I buy all my tools at auctions, no new made junk for me. Auctions are the only place I buy hacksaw blades. Take a new store bought blade and take one swipe on a piece of mild steel and all the teeth fall off...... :-\

You got that Mike!! I was cussing about that yesterday and today. I do need some "good quality blades" I am so tired of the sh*# !!!
Darrin
Apprentice Gunsmith
Colonial Williamsburg
Owner of Frontier Flintlocks

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2015, 08:06:48 PM »
All this talk about hacksaws and their blades reminded me of teaching highschool kids how to use a hacksaw in metal shop.  Their idea was to use the middle two inches of a 12" blade, press hard and go really fast.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2015, 08:23:46 PM »
Most modern hacksaw frames are made for the weekend warrior who will only occasionally cut a piece of copper pipe.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline elk killer

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2015, 08:43:06 PM »
when you use one almost every day, its hard to find one that will hold up,
i have been searching tool places and antique dealers,
hope to find one soon.!!
only flintlocks remain interesting..

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2015, 11:21:15 PM »
when you use one almost every day, its hard to find one that will hold up,
i have been searching tool places and antique dealers,
hope to find one soon.!!

If you can find some old,new old stock Atkins Silver Steel hacksaw blades you will
have blades that will cut a drill bit in half.They are blue and gray in color and plainly
marked.When I worked for an industrial hardware store I delivered thousands of them
to Ahland Oil and Refinery,now Marathon Oil Co.

Bob Roller

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2015, 02:07:23 AM »

You got that Mike!! I was cussing about that yesterday and today. I do need some "good quality blades" I am so tired of the sh*# !!!
Darrin
Hit your local auctions, just don't bid against me! ;)
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline cmac

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2015, 03:46:45 AM »
I have one similar to this    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Old-Used-Tools-West-Haven-Quality-Hacksaw-Frame-Pat-Jan-23-1900-EXc-/201266370949?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2edc691985    Mine has a length adjustment, and the best feature-you can rotate the blade to keep the frame from bottoming out on the work piece. I think I paid $8 for mine at a barn sale and it is by far the best I have ever had. I LIKE OLD TOOLS!!