Author Topic: Repurposed Jaeger-Barrelled Full-Stock Hawken Style Rifle - Value??  (Read 3669 times)

Buckingham

I was hoping to ask for some assistance in valuing this rifle which is being offered for sale at a retail shop in Virginia. a .60 caliber

It is apparently a .60 caliber German Jaeger rifle barrel which had been re-locked and re-stocked in the mid 19th century (approximately) into a Hawken style rifle (presumably due to the popularity of that style at the time.)

The barrel is 30 1/2 inches with a nickel blade front sight and semi-buckhorn rear sight, and an excellent bore, and is engraved with the names "Zimemrman" and "Limbyrg."

The lock is apparently a Golcher with a flat mule-eared hammer, and according to the shop, it is operational but "needs some work."

The stock is walnut in in good shape, and the shop lists the condition overall as "fine."  Outside of whatever work needs to be done to the lock, it is apparently also "ready to be fired."

Can anyone give me a rough idea of the value for something like this?

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Repurposed Jaeger-Barrelled Full-Stock Hawken Style Rifle - Value??
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 08:12:48 PM »
It's kind of my novelty item.  Doesn't fit the norm, so won't appeal to someone wanting a representative rifle, whether that be a plains rifle, an Ohio rifle, etc.  I think its oddness actually decreases it's value.  So maybe $300, on up to whatever somebody wants to pay.
Andover, Vermont

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 12:55:23 AM »
I would have to agree with Rich on this one, being an oddity it will be worth whatever a buyer is willing to pay. I would keep my offer very reasonable because if you decide to pass it on you won't be able to get a lot of money out of it. If you are sure it will be a keeper than you could consider a little more. By the way, that is a conventional side hammer lock not a mule ear. A mule ear like a side slapper is like an under hammer turned 90* to one side of the barrel.
Mark
Mark

Buckingham

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 01:36:03 AM »
Thanks much to both of you - the asking price is $675 but I am going to pass.

eddillon

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 02:15:47 AM »
Looks like a mountainish plainsish rifle was built around an earlier German barrel to me (just IMHO) ;D

It is apparently a .60 caliber German Jaeger rifle barrel which had been re-locked and re-stocked in the mid 19th century (approximately) into a Hawken style rifle (presumably due to the popularity of that style at the time.)