Author Topic: ramrod  (Read 3180 times)

leviathan

ramrod
« on: January 31, 2015, 12:26:22 AM »
Did early ramrods have metal tips for cleaning attachments as seen on todays rods? Or, were they just left plain at the end? Just always wondered how the majority of the old-time gunmakers left there rod tips,especially the Southern Appalachian makers.

Offline smokinbuck

Re: ramrod
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 12:48:34 AM »
I have a number of originals, primarily Ohio, and the majority did not have tips as we know them today. Many have a carved tip with a tapered section behind the end. A lot of the shotgun ram rods did have brass tips on both ends, some on the tulip only, and the small end sometimes housed a screw to pull a load with. "Wiping" rods sometimes had an elongated slot cut into them and some had the end split so tow or a patch of some sort could be used.
Mark
Mark

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 04:45:02 AM »
At one time I had a John Moll Jr. that had a metal tip that a worm screwed into. I have  a Kuntz rifle that also has a metal tip on the ramrod. Inside the patch box  there is a worm that screws onto it.
JIM

Offline WElliott

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 07:06:13 AM »
I have seen original iron tips on very few Southern mountain rifles. Mark's observation would apply.
Wayne Elliott

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 07:44:34 PM »
Did early ramrods have metal tips for cleaning attachments as seen on today's rods? Or, were they just left plain at the end? Just always wondered how the majority of the old-time gun makers left there rod tips,especially the Southern Appalachian makers.

Here is an original ram rod with my western VA iron mounted rifle that has been dated circa 1790 but several knowledgeable people. The tip is threaded for tow worm/wiper etc.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson