Author Topic: Straight Sided Barrel - Why?  (Read 7593 times)

Buckingham

Straight Sided Barrel - Why?
« on: January 31, 2015, 11:37:26 PM »
Please excuse what may be a dumb question.

When considering a swamped versus straight-sided barrel, what benefit would there be in using a straight-sided barrel given the obvious weight and balance issues?

In my unenlightened opinion (based on the research I have done thus far) I can find only two reasons for using a straight-sided barrel:

(1)  Historical accuracy when copying a legacy example of a long rifle with a straight-sided barrel (I understand that Golden Age and Transition examples had far more straight barrels than early examples, which were almost all swamped)

(2)  Cost savings

Am I missing anything?

galamb

Re: Straight Sided Barrel - Why?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 11:56:30 PM »
I have never looked at any "advantage".

Straight barrels were cheaper and quicker to mass produce so as things got automated they became popular.

A late 1850's Ohio half-stock would not look "correct" with a swamped barrel, just like an 1810 Maryland would be "more correct" with a swamped or tapered barrel.

Can you build a piece that would have historically had a swamped barrel with a straight barrel - sure you can, it's your rifle. If it doesn't bother you then it shouldn't matter what barrel you use.

But if you want to emulate a specific rifle I believe you should come as close as you can to what was originally used.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 02:38:51 AM »
Inletting is another one.

Some folks may be hesitant to try to let in a curved part when "simpler" options exist.  And if you pay someone else to put your bbl in or to pre-gouge the channel, they're going to charge more (i'd expect).  I guess that a lot of kits use straight bbls-regardless the style mis-match.

Straight bbls generally came later than I'm interested in, so I don't pay them any attention. I like curves, even subtle ones.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 03:05:49 AM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

rhbrink

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 03:27:17 AM »
Some of us offhand shooters really like and want the extra weight out on the end helps steady the aim if you are strong enough to hold and if you're not then you need to go practice.

RB

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 05:38:42 PM »
Please excuse what may be a dumb question.

When considering a swamped versus straight-sided barrel, what benefit would there be in using a straight-sided barrel given the obvious weight and balance issues?

In my unenlightened opinion (based on the research I have done thus far) I can find only two reasons for using a straight-sided barrel:

(1)  Historical accuracy when copying a legacy example of a long rifle with a straight-sided barrel (I understand that Golden Age and Transition examples had far more straight barrels than early examples, which were almost all swamped)

(2)  Cost savings

Am I missing anything?

The straight sided or straight taper barrel will theoretically, and probably in real life as well, be more accurate.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline stuart cee dub

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 08:01:05 PM »
Swamped barrels make lovely dynamic traditional longrifles .
Straight barrels are for business .I have built rifles using both, each have there use.

That being said I build the later styles and tend to prefer target shooting .
Weight is my  friend ,and not necessarily length either, 35'' seems about right for me at least 6 lbs too. Chunk gunners seem to get good use out of heavy weight ,extra long length and straight barrels .

All uses are ultimately specialized .
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 01:01:20 AM by stuart cee dub »

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2015, 01:53:16 AM »
When considering a swamped versus straight-sided barrel,
The last time I checked straight, tapered, and swamped octagonal barrels ALL have straight sides; whereas straight, tapered and swamped round barrels don't.  The sides are called flats.  We all know what you mean, but you are referring to the barrel's profile rather than its side.   ;D
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline EC121

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2015, 04:08:24 AM »
I'm using a barrel with an  octagonal, parallel-flatted profile because I got it for $20.  ;D  So old it is either a Montana or an Orion from 15+ yrs. ago.  It will do for something to tinker with in the shop.  Straight works fine if the price is right.
Brice Stultz

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2015, 05:15:28 AM »
Consider that some original rifle barrels are very hard to tell if they are swamped, particularly in the late Flint to early percussion era. You can't hardly tell by looking, you need to get the mikes out to tell for sure.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2015, 05:19:03 AM »
Consider that some original rifle barrels are very hard to tell if they are swamped, particularly in the late Flint to early percussion era. You can't hardly tell by looking, you need to get the mikes out to tell for sure.

Exactly.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2015, 05:39:34 AM »
However, if you want to build an early rifle that should have a swamped barrel, and you use a straight barrel, you will hear about it.  ;D
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2015, 03:09:57 PM »

Exactly.

Dan

If no "Mikes" are available the a " verynear"dial caliper will do or better than
 either,a straight edge bar of 0-1.

Bob Roller

Offline flehto

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2015, 04:42:11 PM »
My first  built LR has a .45 cal. 7/8" X 42"  Douglas bbl  and the reason I used it was my ignorance. It's a generic LR and is muzzle heavy but since 1978 has head shot many  100s of squirrels. It holds steady as a rock. Since then, only swamped bbls have been used and the weight and balance are much improved. ...let alone the "looks"......Fred
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 04:43:05 PM by flehto »

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2015, 05:33:44 PM »
The contour of today's swamp barrels do not work well on some styles of rifle if you are in fact attempting to build an exact rendition. The later Southern style rifles, for instance were built with very little, if any swamp to the barrel, which makes the architecture of the lock panels and wrist very slender. This can cause a dramatic difference in the "feel" of the rifle. If however you want to build a better balanced rifle with a modern swamped barrel you will have to compromise a little bit on the style. It all depends on what you want to end up with.

kaintuck

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2015, 12:05:18 AM »
straight OR swamped.......it won't really matter if you don't get it thin enough...THEN you will hear about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;) :D ;D

I am KING of the 'fat' rifles!!!!!!!!

and I still sleep at night~~~~ :P

tomtom said it "just a hobby'..........

marc n tomtom

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2015, 01:05:56 AM »
The contour of today's swamp barrels... If however you want to build a better balanced rifle with a modern swamped barrel you will have to compromise a little bit on the style. It all depends on what you want to end up with.

Or file the right shape from a heavier bbl-if you're going for the gold.  ;)
Hold to the Wind