Author Topic: Stock Finishing question  (Read 5397 times)

Offline Wolfeknives

Stock Finishing question
« on: April 18, 2015, 09:50:58 PM »
Though I have not yet build a rifle, I have spent a great deal of time preparing for my first build. Aside from gathering tools and components, I have been reading all the books I can get. As well as absorbing all the great information on this forum, I follow a few other internet sites. One of these is Judson Brennans Blog. In the most recent post he is applying a finish to the stock. During the finishing process the stock seems to be covered with a dark gritty substance, what is he doing? The finished stock has amazing colour and shows the grain more than usual.
I don't know it it is permitted to show a link here, but Judsons blog can be found by Google search.

Wolfgang

Offline PPatch

Re: Stock Finishing question
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 10:18:42 PM »
That is a secondary (after using aqua fortis or ferrous nitrate on the stock) application of something probably to enhance the dark stripes. Wood ash? Tar? hard to say and I don't know. The direct way to find out would be to contact Mr Brennan.

dave
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 12:51:26 AM by PPatch »
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 11:57:11 PM »
http://judsonbrennan.blogspot.com/2015/04/applying-finish-to-stock-on-antes-rifle.html

I am very interested to know what that stuff is too.  I did not see any contact info on the blog-site. 

Does anyone here know Mr. Brennan well enough to ask him what that stuff is?

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 01:03:55 AM »
It's probably flat black Rustoleum as part of the aging process.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline PPatch

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2015, 01:35:37 AM »
http://judsonbrennan.blogspot.com/2015/04/applying-finish-to-stock-on-antes-rifle.html

I am very interested to know what that stuff is too.  I did not see any contact info on the blog-site. 

Does anyone here know Mr. Brennan well enough to ask him what that stuff is?

-Ron

His contact info may not be on the website but it is on the internet.

dp
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2015, 02:16:58 AM »
It's probably flat black Rustoleum as part of the aging process.

Just like Dickert and Beck used to do. The Moravians, unknown to many, were making and selling rattle can paint all over eastern PA by 1779.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

mike blair

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2015, 12:30:29 PM »
i could be wrong,probably am.but it looks like stove pipe soot.but like i said,I'm probably wrong.

kaintuck

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2015, 05:04:43 PM »
Black powdered tempura paint?.....while it is wet~, then wipe off???

Marc n tomtom

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2015, 05:15:12 PM »
There was  post on here a few years ago from someone who had spent some time in Jud's shop.At the time Jud was hitting his freshly applied finish (while it was still wet)with a torch to the point that it would ignite and burn some.From looking at the photo's that could be what these pictures show.

The other possibility is a method I use and that it to apply earth pigments(expencive dirt) using a soft brush to the still wet finish.

Mitch Yates

Offline louieparker

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2015, 08:51:02 PM »
Keith Neubauer who was a restorer of antique guns, sometimes used a process that reminds me of the look on Jud's rifle. Sometimes when refinishing a stock and with the finish wet, he would set his torch to produce a heavy black smoke. He would smoke the entire stock and let it dry,,Then rub it out to his liking..  Sure looked life Jud's rifle before the rub out,,...LP

Online FDR

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2015, 09:55:48 PM »
If anyone is brave enough to ask here is the contact information:

http://jessebrennanartsmith.blogspot.com/

his email address is on the blog