Author Topic: J.P.Moore New York  (Read 3438 times)

Offline Feltwad

J.P.Moore New York
« on: March 10, 2009, 01:05:29 PM »
Information required on an original flintlock conversion plains rifle by J.P.Moore New York  with the lockplate signed  A.W.Spies  WARRENTED .date etc
Feltwad

Offline nord

Re: J.P.Moore New York
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 06:05:53 PM »
Look in the ALR Library.

Moore is listed by at least one reference in Union, NY, however there is some disagreement as stated in the discussion. I tend to believe that "Union" is a reference to what has since become a portion of Schenectady and is no longer a political entity.

I believe there is no question that the same Moore retailed guns out of NYC at various locations over many years. Ned Roberts mentions another Moore specific to NYC. Probably related and somehow connected.

Good luck on you quest.
In Memory of Lt. Catherine Hauptman Miller 6/1/21 - 10/1/00 & Capt. Raymond A. Miller 12/26/13 - 5/15/03...  They served proudly.

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 06:53:47 PM »
Nord.
Thank you for referring to the library .Yes I would say it is the same J.P.Moore,the gun in question is full stocked  and  a flintlock conversion using the drum and nipple principle.
Feltwad

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 11:24:54 PM »
Has I have described this gun is  full stocked in complete original condition  .
Question is what would be an average or estimate price for this rifle.
Feltwad

Offline nord

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2009, 12:16:19 AM »
FW -

The only correct answer to your question is that your gun will be worth exactly whatever amount is accepted by the seller and agreeable to the buyer on a particular day at a particular time. This isn't intended to be a smart answer, only a truthful one.

Antique guns have no set value as such. Each seller and each buyer has a notion of condition and value of antique items. Even a range of values is nearly impossible as a NY gun such as this may well be worthless (or nearly so) to a fanatic collector of southern guns. The same may be said of a southern gun offered to a purely NY collector.

The general policy around here is not to discuss values. It's the best policy for everyone here as we'd invariably be wrong. What would be the point of sharing with you that your gun could be a $50.00 item on the low end, or a four or five figure value on the high end? Too many variables involved.
In Memory of Lt. Catherine Hauptman Miller 6/1/21 - 10/1/00 & Capt. Raymond A. Miller 12/26/13 - 5/15/03...  They served proudly.